Thorens TT.......Advice Please

SWL

Well I bought it.......$100 bucks. (Thorens TD 115)

One problem...and I hope this is the only one....I don't have one single record!! [:o]

Gonna go check out some used ones tomorrow.

One problem...and I hope this is the only one....I don't have one single record!! Surprise

One word of advice..........don't freak out if you pick some really nice looking LPs and the sound is somewhat disappointing or maybe not quite as great as you expected. I have a pretty huge LP collection and I rarely play one that isn't an audiophile pressing of some sort. Japanese, MOFI, 180-200 gram reissues, etc. There are many very nice sounding inexpensive original pressings or $10 reissues but to get the really good stuff these days, it ain't cheap. Some will certainly disagree and tell you it's the music that's important, not the recording. If that works for you, that's excellent. If not, be prepared to shell out a few bucks to get the best available pressing of your favorite records. They are reissuing LPs at record pace (pun intended!) and most sound pretty amazing.

Congrats and good luck!

Just plopped Steely Dan "AJA" onto the Thorens. A little crackling and popping as I expected but is functioning and sounding awesome. [:D]

Got it matched up with a Marantz 3600 preamp and a Marantz 1070. Sounds wonderful on my RB-75's.

Slight thread jack, anybody have a recommendation for a Thorens TT repair shop? A buddy of mine has his up on the shelf and is looking to get it back in the game. He got no help from the company.The TT is in upstate NY. Thanks in advance.

• 11 months later...

Nice table. Just got a TD125 Mk II for a little more than you paid. Working on bringing it up to snuff.

I'm interested in knowing what you did to modify your tt. I just got one and I love it. Thanks.

One problem...and I hope this is the only one....I don't have one single record!! Surprise

One word of advice..........don't freak out if you pick some really nice looking LPs and the sound is somewhat disappointing or maybe not quite as great as you expected. I have a pretty huge LP collection and I rarely play one that isn't an audiophile pressing of some sort. Japanese, MOFI, 180-200 gram reissues, etc. There are many very nice sounding inexpensive original pressings or $10 reissues but to get the really good stuff these days, it ain't cheap. Some will certainly disagree and tell you it's the music that's important, not the recording. If that works for you, that's excellent. If not, be prepared to shell out a few bucks to get the best available pressing of your favorite records. They are reissuing LPs at record pace (pun intended!) and most sound pretty amazing.

Congrats and good luck!

Nice score for $100!!

And like Gary said.

I too have a rather extensive LP collection. I don't mind playing many, if not most of my non-audiophile LP however I am the original owner of the majority of these so they've been well kept. On the used market it will be much more difficult to acquire quality used LP and you still may have to pony up almost as much (more in some cases) than the audiophile re-issues. OTOH not all "audiophile" reissues are of higher quality. A 180 gram Jaco Pastorious reissue I bought sounds just as bad as the original, only with somewhat better surfaces, big deal, which is a shame considering the quality of the music (some reissues get remixed - others don't)