Why is my center channel quieter than my mains?

Kain

I have calibrated my home theater with AVIA and at -5 dB on the volume

nob all speakers read 85 dB and at -15 dB on the volume nob all

speakers read 75 dB. Recently, all the DVD movies that I have rented

(usually watch them at around -40 dB on the volume nob because I watch

them at night), the center channel (or dialogue) seems to be much

quieter than the action sounds that come through the main channels. I

often have to turn it up to hear the dialogue from the center and turn

it down when the action hits from the mains. Is this a setup issue or

is it just recorded like this?

One more thing. I was watching Shoot 'Em Up
yesterday on DVD and there was a part in the beginning of the movie
where the mains and the center where playing a song. I could hear the
mains fine but the center channel seemed to be drowned out. It sounded
as if only the mains where playing. Is this a setup issue or is it just
recorded like this?

Sometimes it is the movie sometimes it can be more specific to the format. In movies such as Master and Commander you can tell a big difference between using the DTS track instead of the DD one. In the end you may want to make individual tweaks to the settings for each movie, returning to your base settings afterwards.

Its the DVD mix.

Take a look at your processor settings. Most have a vocal enhance feature which can give your vocals a few db gain. That may be faverable over kicking up your overall center volume.

On my center, I run an ALK network. I run my center channel sqwaker 2 db hotter than my mains leaving the rest flat.

JM

Your center speaker has suffered serious, non fixable damage, and needs to immediately be sent to me!!!![6]

No, it's the dvd mix like already mentioned. I change my settings almost every movie I watch............. But my center is always about 3 db's lower than the mains

You know......I always had this issue when I had my HT room. Some movies were better than others, but for whatever reason - the center channel output had to be bumped by 2 to 3 db. At one time I thought it might just be the older Denon I was using and its older processors. Then I got a B&K pre-pro and had the same issue. Of course, using a Heresy center with Cornwall mains, I knew the Heresy would have to be "bumped" but not to the extent I had to. Once I got it to sound right to my ears and not the Rat Shack meter, all was fine. And I'll probably get flak for saying this, but........

Honestly, for the last 2 years, I've been watching movies in 2.1 and don't really miss the 7.1 system. No center channel issues, no odd room acoustics to deal with due to multiple speakers, feeling like I had to tweak settings......shoot, even subwoofer issues are non-existent.

Tom

I have calibrated my home theater with AVIA and at -5 dB on the volume nob all speakers read 85 dB and at -15 dB on the volume nob all speakers read 75 dB. Recently, all the DVD movies that I have rented (usually watch them at around -40 dB on the volume nob because I watch them at night), the center channel (or dialogue) seems to be much quieter than the action sounds that come through the main channels. I often have to turn it up to hear the dialogue from the center and turn it down when the action hits from the mains. Is this a setup issue or is it just recorded like this?

I experience this when I am in HT 7.1 Sci Fi mode and all channels are independent. When the same movie is in 7 channel Stereo, the dialogue volume is just fine. I actually prefer my movies in 7 channel stereo - all speakers fill the room, action sounds are impactful, music is great and dialogue is clear, clean and crisp.

I experience this when I am in HT 7.1 Sci Fi mode and all channels are independent. When the same movie is in 7 channel Stereo, the dialogue volume is just fine. I actually prefer my movies in 7 channel stereo - all speakers fill the room, action sounds are impactful, music is great and dialogue is clear, clean and crisp.

I agree with Dean if you have to do a "fix'; otherwise Fotog is in on the "secret". "All channel stereo" sounds really good and you won't be disappointed. Besides, you can always play around with the mode settings.