Diana Krall's new album

Guest David H

Guest David H

I downloaded Diana Kralls new single walk on by from Itunes, and it is really good. New album is due to release on the 31st.

Available on CD and LP

post-24405-13819455899262_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one will ever do a better version of "Walk On By" than Dionne Warwick. Why even try? LOL

hob_0212_cbb.120.jpgElvis Costello, 52, and Diana Krall, 42, took their twin boys, Frank Harlan James and Dexter Henry Lorcan, 6 months, out for a Mother's Day stroll in NYC in matching Orbit strollers.

He was hillarius on "Two and a Half Men". (is she in love with his flag??)

I may get flamed for this, and if that is the case, flame away. I can stand the heat. :) The following is just my opinion.......

I don't get it.

I have been a "lurker" here for several years. I have read the glowing reviews of Diana Krall on this forum. I had never heard of her. Curiosity lead me to buy one of her CD's.

I have listened to this CD with Klipschorns & La Scalas. I have listened with my Moondog SET 2a3's, my McIntosh MC30's, my Scott 299B, my EICO HF-81, and my McIntosh MC 2105.

I don't get it. I do not enjoy listening to her CD. I don't like her choice of songs, her voice, her musical accompaniment, etc. I never play her CD when I have friends over...and none of my friends notice the ommision since they have never heard of her either.

Can someone please explain what it is that they find so compelling? It seems that all I read are just general (non-specific) comments that say the listener likes her latest CD. What specifically do you like? Is it the voice? The range of her voice? The lyrics? The instruments? The stereo effects? Is it just background/easy listening music? Is it elevator music? Do you stop everything that you are doing and concentrate on just listening?

I am not trying to be sarcastic. I really just don't get it.

Blindman, you have a perfectly acceptable right to your opinion and taste in music as anyone. I have every Diana Krall cd minus the latest two as I haven't cared for her more recent work. I liked her earlier more traditional jazz, and I also feel those early albums were better recorded. "Stepping Out", "All for You" are good examples that showcase her piano talents better. To answer your questions:

Is it the voice? The range of her voice? The lyrics? The instruments? The stereo effects?

None of the above. I enjoy her music and piano work, but on the other hand Patricia Barber is the yes answer to those questions. I find Barbers recordings spellbinding, beautifully performed and recorded. But I'm sure there are those who "don't get" her either so don't feel bad. I don't get Celine Dion, Seal, or numerous other artists that are equally popular for their talent and recordings. To each their own... it's all about the music. [:)]

Man, what a horrible photograph of her. I am a professional photographer and I'm appaled that they would let THAT be the cover shot, yikes.

Technically, yes. Here's my take on it- you have a go at it too Claude.

The pose is unflattering to her face, revealling her rather wide nose, her mouth is crunched up on one side and eyes squinty and poorly lit. Eyes all the way to one side of the eye socket is normally not done in portraiture. Her arms look awkward and the rear hand is partly amputated so you don't see finger tips. The pose is odd, neither terribly feminine nor masculine although her slim waist and hips are shown. Her bosom area is nearly completely flattened in this pose. Her coup de grace, those legs, are mysteriously cropped out.

Yes it has everything going against it in terms of traditional portraiture, but it's SAUCY!

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
Does it get
any better than this? Canadian torch singer and pianist Diana Krall is
in perfect form in this two-hour Paris concert, recorded in December
2001 shortly after the release of her CD The Look of Love.
In her band, guitarist Anthony Wilson and bassist John Clayton get the
lion's share of attention, but the entire ensemble (including lush
strings from the Paris Symphony Orchestra) provides flawless support
for Krall, whose skill on a Steinway is as impressive as her smoky
interpretations of vintage standards and ballads. Inspired by guest
conductor-arranger Claus Ogerman, Krall can surprise with subtleties
(like a delicious hint of the Beatles' "Day Tripper" in her closing of
"All or Nothing"), or glide into solos with a master's flair. Matching
the music beat for beat, the camera coverage and editing are intimate
without being obtrusive, making this a bit of jazz heaven here on
earth. --Jeff Shannon

Product Description
Recorded live at the
Paris Olympia on December 1, 2001, Krall's classic style blends equal
parts artistic vision, hard work and determination. The British
Columbia native began playing piano at the age of four and now has five
stunning albums behind her. She made her debut with the critically
acclaimed Only Trust Your Heart
and the album topped the Billboard jazz charts for the most of 1998,
earning Krall a Grammy nomination. She went on to win a Best Jazz Vocal
Performance Grammy for 1999's platinum-selling When I Look in Your Eyes and became the first jazz artist in 25 years to be nominated in the Album of the Year category.

Buy this "Live In Paris" DVD. If you do not care for it.. That's fine. Personally, I think you will see fand hear or yourself. It is recorded just amazingly well, and great to see her perform too.

released: 4/2/2002

track list:

1. 1.
    I Love Being Here With You
  2. 2.
    All or Nothing
  3. 3.
    Let's Fall in Love
  4. 4.
    The Look of Love
  5. 5.
    Maybe You'll Be There
  6. 6.
    Deed I Do
  7. 7.
    Devil May Care
  8. 8.
    Cry Me a River
  9. 9.
    Under My Skin
  10. 10.
    East of the Sun
  11. 11.
    I Get Along
  12. 12.
    Pick Yourself Up
  13. 13.
    S'Wonderful
  14. 14.
    Love Letters
  15. 15.
    I Don't Know Enough About You
  16. 16.
    Do It Again
  17. 17.
    A Case of You

On December 1, 2001 Diana Krall performed to a captivated sold-out audience at the Olympia Theatre in Paris.

There
was electricity in the air as Diana flawlessly worked her way through a
set that ranged from romantic ballads and bossa novas to cooking
uptempo swing.

On Live in Paris, the new DVD, Diana is accompanied by her own recording band and
the Orchestre Symphonique Europeen and Paris Jazz Big Band conducted by
the legendary Claus Ogernman.

This concert performance features tracks from her latest album The Look of Love and the full set from her sensational world tour. On Live In Paris,
the GRAMMY Award winner takes us through a variety of well-known
standards all performed in the totally individual, yet classic style
that is Diana Krall.

I love the Live in Paris show too. I think she is at her best with John Clayton and drummer Jeff Hamilton. However, the video quality of the DVD is downright poor, and the surround mix puts instruments behind you at times. I prefer the CD recording of the concert instead. And the cover of "A Case of You" is painful, she's no Joni. Just my .02 on the show.