Diana Krall's new album

Guest David H

I have a couple of her CDs/SACDs and I find I like only one or two songs on each. I love the title track on "the Girl In The Other Room" and think it sounds fantastic but it's the only song I really like on the album. For some reason I went ahead and bought Quiet Nights on 180 gram vinyl. I must say I'm also disappointed. I might play it once a year. Not terrible but a pretty weak recording IMO and her version of Walk On By just doesn't cut it. Maybe if I never heard the original......... I sort of like The Boy From Ipanema though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this LP as well. I think that it's OK. I do not like the bosa nova numbers as much as the other cuts. It is certainly different with much more orchestration then her previous releases - which I like others here prefer.

After seeing her on Spectacle, my opinion of her went way up. I think is a very talented piano player and its unfortunate that is not as apparent on this LP as it is on others.

Josh

I've listenend to this a few more times and am warming to it...(I had the same deal with Girl in the Other Room)...

Bill

C'mon, Bill. Admit it. While listening you're gazing longingly at her album cover. The more you look, the better she sounds. [:P]

I have to admit, she's VERY easy on the eyes. What's Elvis Costello got that I haven't? Yeah, I know - Diana Krall...

post-15368-13819464824646_thumb.jpg

Well, I've been busy and haven't had time for listening until the last few days. I've had the time to listen to the CD through several times and think it sounds pretty good.

I haven't been so fond of teh orchestrations backing, but the ladies voice is fablous.

I give this one two thunbs up.

Had the pleasure of hearing her and her band in concert a few nights ago...Jeff Hamilton on drums (fabulous), Anthony Wilson on guitar (outstanding) and new to me, Robert Hurst on bass. Real nice show...105 minutes with one encore. Nothing from the new cd though...just the old standards (which was just fine with me) Great sound setup and it looked like they were all having a great time up there....

Guest David H

I have enjoyed the new Diana Krall cd so much, I also purchase it on vinyl. Now I am not saying the vinyl sounds better, but I sure like watching it turn.

DK is hit and miss for me. The 'Live in Paris' DVD DTS track is incredible, I love both 'Love scenes' and 'Girl in the other room' in CD and SACD, with the bass so real you feel the strings plucked in front of you. Some others leave me cold. Haven't tried this latest yet. Will I like it?

Despite you nay sayers I went ahead and bought it anyway since I had a couple of other LPs to buy. All I can say is: are you listening to the same album? Are you perhaps listening to a CD or on Mac gear, maybe both? Are you listening in your car with the road noise and morning traffic?

I only had enough time for the first side tonight so maybe the second side will be a let down but the first two tracks are killer, the third while sounding good is not my cup of tea. The Boy from Ipenama is really nice and the last track on side one does not let you down. As for the singing in the well comment I don't get it. It sounds like either I am sitting in her microphone or she is shrunken down and singing in my ear. I can't remember female vocals so breathy and "right there" since Helen Merrill's LP with Clifford Brown and I think that was 1954. The pinao sounds like I am sitting behind her, as the high notes go all the way to the right of my room. The rest of the music is darn good. I am missing her typical guitar backing. What is up with that?

The overall vibe I get is like I sumbled into a late 1950s or early 60s polynesian restaurant and they ran out of tiki music so they got this sultry chick to stand in on the piano and all the guests thought I came here for the food but am staying for the music. NICE!

Maybe it was because I was not expecting much, but I cannot wait to give this another spin. If any of you bought the CD want to sell it, let me know as I like it so much I think I need a digital copy for my car, riping to my ipod and for background listening on my music server. At any rate a dedicated listening session on vinyl will not let you down.