EQ Question...

Schu

How is the DBX 1231 wired or cabled to a Home Receiver / Pre-Amp ?? Do you use RCA Cables and wire them to the DBX Terminal Strip ?? Or is there any type of Interface Box Required ??

Any Information would be Great..

Thanks

Hank

I use the 1/4" jack inputs and outputs on the unit. I have adaptor plugs that are 1/4" to RCA female. Make sure you get the right ones (ring/tip/sleeve connections....not stereo). I have had DBX 1231 and 231 units. Both have integrated seemlessly into my home audio equipment. No buzzes, no hum.......work very well. I have used both units with several different preamps, and integrated amps. Always with the same results. I have every component in my system on a "cheater" plug, into the same power strip (actually 3 different ones with components grouped), into the same CIRCUIT (not outlet). That includes my TV and PC and peripherals. My circuit is a GFI so I am safe using cheater plugs (not recommended otherwise). No ground loop sounds at all. I mention all this because I think it is important to know when I say the DBX makes no hum, buzz or other anomaly noise. Your mileage may vary if you are not attentaive to the connections of the components.

31 bands!!!! Surprise

Is there a certain type of method/equipment that you use to dial in that many frequencies?

I use either a sine wave generator, warble tone generator, or a CD with sine tones at ISO frequencies. (the same centers as the EQ) I adjust to flat with close micing, readout on oscilloscope. Then I check at listening position. Final touch-up is by ear listening to a variety of music.

Shu,

I know there are a lot of pro audio guys here that use EQs but I'm not a big fan of EQs in high end systems. I have used a SAE parametric equalizer back in the 70's but I am really driven to keep my system as simple as possible. The problem I have with EQs, is that if your system is lacking at a certain frequency an EQ just can't fix that. In other words, the EQ can't give your system quality bass if the system isn't able to produce it in the first place. It's not that I don't tweek the tone controls but 99.9% of the time they all end up back at the flat position. My main system has not had any tone control/EQ for over 30 years and I can't say I've ever wanted any.

Thanx, Russ

Thank,

So what you're saying is I can go from XLR-RCA (Mono) or 1/4"-RCA (Mono) ?? Sorry for asking so many questions, it's I don't want to waste Money on the DBX or Screw up any Equipment or Speakers.

Hank

Hank, the XLR is also mono, but in a balanced configuration. If correct on each each, gives more gain and has has noise canceling benefits over the unbalanced line. However, in many home situations, you can run unbalanced cables a long way with no signal degradation or noise.

Some equipment uses a 1/4 inch jack that is wired balanced. These jacks cost less, but do the same thing as an XLR. Also easier to plug in a 1/4 inch plug (like an electric guitar cable), and the correct pin is automatically grounded. an rca on the other end and you sould be good to go (or another 1/4 inch).

The attached pdf gives a lot of the pinouts for various cables.

Bruce

Connector_Pinouts_sm.pdf

First, Thanks for all the Assistance in this matter. I spoke via e-mail today with Tech Support at DBX about the DBX 1231. They stated that IF you have WELL CONSTRUCTED CABLES and IF everything is on the same Power Source you should not have any problem, like Mark said. They also stated that their suggestion is an Interface Device similar to the Rane BB22. They recommended the Embeck Line Level Shifter.

So from what I've learned today, I'll do one of two things.. Get some Really Damn Good Cables or spend a Few Bucks on an Interface.

I guess if Life were Simple, they'd be No Challenges and what a Dull State of Mind that would be..

Bruce, Thanks for the Wiring Diagram !

Thanks for all the Input.. You Guys are Great..

Hank

dbx is not referring to using exotic expensive cables....just cables
that are wired up correctly. You have to do the conversion between
balanced and unbalanced correctly.

As far as EQ, my personal
feeling is that the graphic equalizer was designed around a premise
that has since been discovered to be false. I personally find
parametric equalizers easier to use to, but then I guess it depends on
what you're trying to do with the EQ.....if you're not gonna do any
measuring and don't know what you're doing, then it's probably easier
to tweak the graphic equalizer by ear.

Another thing to keep in
mind is that adding more components to the signal chain requires more
careful consideration of the gain structure. It doesn't help that most
pro gear is running off +-15V rails while consumer gear is usually
running off 5V. I think a lot of the harshness people associate with
pro gear has more to do with the noise floor than anything else.

I doubt very much that you will run into any issues integrating a DBX 1231 into home audio equipment, tube or s/s. Like I mentioned I have moved mine from system to system with consistent good performance. I will echo that good fundamentals are important. I don't use any exotic cabling. Basic stuff that makes good connections, that is it. Good quality adaptors. Room measurement. I failed to mention that my EQ is set to ONLY cut not boost. So basically I am knocking down peaks and not boositing. My gains are such that switiching the EQ in/out of the audio stream does not change the volume level by hardly anything. So I am very careful of the gain structure, adding distortion, and I KNOW from using my RTA exactly where the peaks are and am able to see the frequency response as I adjust. Finally I did tweak a tiny amount by ear as a final adjustement after listening to familiar music multiple times and using A/B reference speakers. Also remember, I HAVE TO HAVE an EQ of some sort for the K402 CD horns. No choice really. It is required for my setup. Some put it into the passive network. I felt that was too complicated, expensive, and still left peaks in the room that required more adjustment. I killed 2 birds with one stone. As far as parametric goes. It is USELESS unless you get a digital unit. The analog units have nowhere near the amount of required filters. I tried inexpensive digital units and didn't like the sound. The more expensive ones are better but I still prefer the sound of the analog EQ and passive networks. It is less expensive as well to get good sound.