Baffle Repair

DPonder

Most repair glues I've found were not easy to deal with. The domes are usually very thin, kinda like a thick Saran Wrap. If your so inclined (read: if you have big bucks) a replacement diaphram is available from Klipsch and usually they're not hard to put in. The part number is #164016 for a K-63kn tweeter. The only other part if the whole tweeter assembly which is a lot more. Just had to order two new ones for my KLF-20's after a put +12db over flat into them (settings from the old speakers). DOH!!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogony

Carver Receiver MXR-150

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

dbx 3bx Series Two

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Original Monster Cable

Are you talking about the speaker cone? If you are the tear might have some negative affects on the sound. The tear could acctually let air through and that's not what you want with a sealed cabinet. Check out the parts price list in Home Audio and see how much it would be to replace the speaker.

It's not the driver. The only driver that has a baffle is the horn. The actual driver components aren't referred to as "baffle". The speaker baffle is the front of the cabinet that the drivers are mounted to. So the actual chip is to the cabinet which has some type of plastic molding over the MDF. If you have ever seen an EPIC in person that black material is not paint. I appreciate the feedback though. Thanks

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the Epic series used a baffle with a vacuformed vinyl applied over the MDF material. Others were painted. If yours are the vinyl, you may try a vinyl patch material available at the nearest auto parts store. If yours are painted, you may try paint or, an easier fix can be black crayon rubbed into the nick then polished with a cloth to match the sheed of the baffle.

Bob

Some of the Epic series used a baffle with a vacuformed vinyl applied over the MDF material. Others were painted. If yours are the vinyl, you may try a vinyl patch material available at the nearest auto parts store. If yours are painted, you may try paint or, an easier fix can be black crayon rubbed into the nick then polished with a cloth to match the sheed of the baffle.

Bob

• 20 years later...
40 minutes ago, nmorris43 said:

I just purchased my first pair of CF4's and the front vinyl is pulling away from the MDF in places. Is there a good remedy for this? I am considering all options.

welcome to the forum ----can you post pictures , so we can view the problem

22 minutes ago, nmorris43 said:

Here is where its worst. Thinking about either trimming that portion off or recoating it with something.

228158930_10224241512038086_452144900206553389_n.jpg

I have 2 suggestions. Both require taking them apart. First suggestion black paint. Second black vinyl like vinyl lettering guys use. I don't think it's possible to fix. Any heat would make it worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nmorris43 said:

Its curled and warped pretty badly.

I thought so, bummer... I must mention, i don´t own any Epics. What i would do is, take a really sharp blade and a steel ruler and cut away the vinyl as close to the edge as i could. Then i would tape of the original boundary between the upper verneer and where the vinyl used to be and fill the gap with several layers of laquer paint. Maybe even on both cabinets to make it look similar.

I hope You get what i´m trying to say...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I have 2 suggestions. Both require taking them apart. First suggestion black paint. Second black vinyl like vinyl lettering guys use. I don't think it's possible to fix. Any heat would make it worse.

I was thinking about trimming the curled area off with a razor knife and then painting that area black to match.