I Have To Ask The Question

CIGARBUM

With all the hub bub about the Juicy Music Peach and Blueberry, and the lack of used equipment in the marketplace. I have a Peach runing with some VRD's to my Cornscalas, the sound is nothing short of wonderful, that said has any one come up with a replacement piece of equipment for the Peach or Blueberry?? They are a wonderful piece of equipment but I find it hard to believe there aren't other pre-amps in the world that come very close to the price and performance of the as for mentioned equipment.

I would like to hear other opinions for other equipment that may be used.

Thanks guys.

CB

I had both a Wright WLA12 and a Peach at the same time, and ended up keeping the Wright. Now, to give my decision some context, I was using the preamps to drive a pair of Wright mono-blocks, so system synergy played a part. I wouldn't say one's better than the other per se, but that they're both strong performers. Passives are another option, system dependent, but for a modest price tag may out-perform big buck preamps.

I too, like Blvdre, use a passive preamp & I have found it to be superior to both an Audio Research pre & a Naim pre, both of which cost considerably more. The passive produces no extraneous noise at all & is wonderfully open & clean.

+ one on the Cary- i have heard an all Cary set up and it was pretty strong.

My impression was that it was as pricey or worse than the JM. I think the mono blocs were about 5 grand.

If it were me i would just hang out and wait on another Peach-You gotta be quick- they last about 20 minutes in the FS sections.

You know that the Peach works- don't try to fix it. Just light a cuban- sit back and wait.

has any one come up with a replacement piece of equipment for the Peach or Blueberry?? They are a wonderful piece of equipment but I find it hard to believe there aren't other pre-amps in the world that come very close to the price and performance of the as for mentioned equipment.

Still no answer to this? I too wonder what pre-amp would be equal to the JMs in cost and performance, is there none? Really?

Don't make me repeat myself Super Angry If you want phono as well, go with the Wright WPL20, $1500 new

I hold my head shamefully down, I missed that the first time somehow [:$]

Now 'plain that passive thingy, I thought that to be, like, headphone only

No offense taken, just a bit of harmless ribbing. So, passives are appropriate for any line level source. They are relatively cheap when compared to active preamps, and with proper system matching, can outperform mega-buck units. You passive should have a low output impedance (10K pots or attenuators are the norm) matched to a high amplifier input impedance. This enables your source to more easily drive your amp, as there is no gain to your source level signal, like there would be with an active preamp.

I'm currently waiting for parts to build a low cost, multi-input passive preamp. I did a bit of searching and found some reasonably priced pots and a selector switch that, at least by some accounts, outperform some of their more expensive counterparts. If I'm happy with the results, I may see if there's any interest on the forum. From what I've read though, passives are hit or miss, depending on your system, so may not be everyone's cup of tea.

The last BBX I put up on Audiogon recently sold in about an hour or so. If I would have had 6, I could have sold all 6 I am pretty sure. Anyway, that's the status of things. Oh, and there is some possibility of a new pCAT which would feature the same electronics, but a new chassis and mechanicals. That's iffy though.

Cheers!

I'm the lucky dog that bought the last BBX. Right place, at the right time I guess. It was delivered today and it sounds wonderful. It will be paired with a VRD ST45 which I'm picking up this weekend at AKFest from Craig. So far, I'm loving it! [:D]

I hope it's appropriate to comment here in this thread. It is looking "very likely" that the Peach, BlueBerry and Tercel will be taken over by a new craftsman who wants to build them all. This will be a lock, stock and barrel transfer of the company name, products, names, copyrights and even the web site if it happens. WHich means that at the outset there will be "JuicyMusic" products that will be identical to what I build. (They may evolve over time however.)

I can't give more details than that right now until things are more finalized. But, judging by the emails I get each week, there is quite a demand for "more." Specific to the OP's question of price performance, what I don't know is what the new prices will be. I very much believed for the 6 years I was doing it that there was nothing out there that could really touch it for "price/performance ratio." That was confirmed to me by many, many people out in audioland.

The last BBX I put up on Audiogon recently sold in about an hour or so. If I would have had 6, I could have sold all 6 I am pretty sure. Anyway, that's the status of things. Oh, and there is some possibility of a new pCAT which would feature the same electronics, but a new chassis and mechanicals. That's iffy though.

Cheers!

Mark, that is great news.

jc