v-trac demo impressions

khorn#1

Thanks for sharing the impressions. I was very impressed with Greg's setup as well with the short audition I had at akfest. The bottom line for me (and I am sure others as well) is the $2,000 costs of the upgrade without crossovers, and $2500 with Al's assembled Universal network.

You're welcome Randy. It's a labor of love for me, and I'm glad you're getting the most out of the upgrades.

For the record, the V-Trac horns and BMS 4592ND-MID drivers cost about $1800 shipped. Khorn owners could sell their K400's, K55's, and AA crossovers for enough money to cover the cost of an ALK Universal kit.

I'd pay twice what all my upgrades cost to get the sound quality I'm enjoying right now from my Khorns. My next purchase will be a nice new pair of tube monobloc amplifiers.

Greg

post-11090-13819476450954_thumb.jpg

The V-Trac demo units now have ALK Engineering tweeter attenuators as part of the package. This gives the demo units a lot more flexibility when it comes to using them with bass bins other than Khorns in the perfect room.

It's possible that in my own living room, with my fully upgraded Khorns, that the tweeter is a bit hot. Not by much though, if at all.

But used in other setups, like with Khorns that are in a brighter room, or with bass bins that are not quite as efficient as Khorns (working in nice solid corners of a room designed for them), that the tweeters could be quite hot. To make matters worse, if you attenuate down the mid horns, as a proportion, the tweeters brighten up even more.

So adding these tweeter attenuators gives full control over the balance of all three drivers in the system. So if you're wondering what the V-Trac horn setup would sound like with a Cornwall, La Scala, or any other bass bin, sign up for the free demo trial. www.dcchomes.com/Vtrac3.html

Greg

V-TRAC IMPRESSIONS: Having Greg's set-up with my Cornscala's this week I can say it has a bigger more dynamic "open" sound. I am comparing them directly to 1" tractrix horns which I was very happy with made by Gothover here on the Forum. I personally find the differences even more exagerrated at medium to high volume levels. I have not as yet used the attenuators as Greg has encouraged me to do, I am satisfied with the sound as is. I have to have these as the improvement is substantial, but the investment is a significant one for me. I'll have to do it step at a time and my 1" wooden Tractrix horns and Atlas drivers will be for sale. If you don't want any improvement in your present sound whether it be Korns or Cornscala's etc. then I am envious of you. It's always fun to go back and re-listen to ALL of your favorite music all over again. I think the real factor will be the "withdrawal" one. After they are gone and going back to 1". If you are still using plastic horns you should at the very least move up to wooden even if only 1". I am using Quicksilver SET 88 monos which I have just recently purchased along with a VTL TL-5 pre, and Don Allen CD/ Denon 2910. Thank you Greg for this oppurtunity, it was certainly worth the shipping costs outlay to be able to enjoy these and be able to first hand make a decision based on experience. It surprises me you don't have hundreds on your list for a trial ??? ( Greg- I did not find the Beyma "hot" in any way, SUPER smooth as was the midrange ) . If anyone has any questions on my subjective perceptions, please ask...I hope this was helpful in a modest way.

Hey Rich, Thanks for your review and comments. I am really looking forward to hearing these, I suppose that I will feel alot like the others after I hear them, but you know the proof is in the pudding. Nothing like demoing in your own system, to determine if they are a good fit for your setup.

Jay

Well Jay they are enroute to you and as I had previously mentioned the "withdrawal" factor has kicked in. I guess I had actually gotten used to them because my 1" are almost unacceptable. I keep going back re-checking all my connections thinking something is wrong now. Yes, Greg, I have to have them. Good Luck Jay! Rich

On a different note, how much have you guys that did the audion been paying for shipping? I know the pricing will vary, just trying to get a general idea.

I would guess less than $80, but it depends on where they are going of course.

Greg

Well Jay they are enroute to you and as I had previously mentioned the "withdrawal" factor has kicked in. I guess I had actually gotten used to them because my 1" are almost unacceptable. I keep going back re-checking all my connections thinking something is wrong now. Yes, Greg, I have to have them. Good Luck Jay! Rich

I've got a pair going out to you next week.

I think it's easy to get used to whatever you have. I'm sure I've gotten used to the V-Trac in my system. I should switch back to the K400/K55 sometime just for kicks.

Greg

Greg,

Dont do it, it would be a waist of time. Jamming to Almond Brothers, live at the Filmore east tonight through the vtracs horns with the BMS drivers. It is unreal incredible. This setup just keeps getting better. Khorns with es networks and your vtrac horns running with Mcintosh 501 monoblocs is unreal.

Greg has really discovered something here with his two inch vtrac and BMS driver. Its not a cheap upgrade but it is worth the cost. Simply stunning.

Randy

Is any Vtrac owner using the CT-125 tweeters? I already have the ALK universal network and the CT125's on my Khorns. I should be auditioning the Vtrac Demo units in a few weeks. Just wondering how the CT125 compares to the Beymas.

Rudy81,

I am using crites ct125 with my setup, I like the Beymas but cost and the fact that the crites tweeters are very smooth and perform well in my system. The key is the two inch horn with the BMS driver. You will like the Beymas but I'll bet you will keep the crites tweeter.

Randy

Ok guys I don'y know really where to begin, I got the demos and the first thing I did was to connect one of them to compare it to the original setup. No contest the demo horn was so much more efficent I could not even here the k-400 from my listening chair. Futher when I was in another room the sound was really good and to think that was coming from just one of them WOW!!! Ok so on to connecting the second demo, this is where things got a little crazy. There was an imediate noticable difference, So much claity, detail, inner detail, and improvment in the mid bass area. It just sort of cleaned up everything around it, the mid bass was most improved. Like I said everything associated with it got cleaned up to the point of elegance, the minute details were really really made obvious. The soundstage was much improved as was the imaging, you couls actually sit off axis and it sound great.

Now to dial in the proper settings, I started freash the next day on this and slowly listened and worked my way through the various settings. Trying to arrive at the right balance for my room, at first I thought these were going to overpower my room by a long ways. Well after two days of tinkering I got it right and then there was the magic, my system never sounded so good it was alot more than what I expected. All of a sudden everything fell into place and I thought OMG!!! what a really really nice sound. I had found the right settings for my room with a really good balance in the k-horns themselves. I started trying different formats even CD's sound completely elegant, with just the right amount of everything. These BMS drivers were the key to it all, they did everything as right as you could want it. Just an overwhelming expirence of wonderful sound. I didn't think the Beyma tweeters were nearly as good as the BMS drivers and horns, they didn't hurt anything; but I think I could live with just about any tweeter and these drivers.

There is so much more I can say about my expirence with the demos, it gets a little over the top. The depth of the music was fantastic, the realism of the music and the natrual sound of the horns is more than I ever expected. I could go on and on you are just going to have to hear them for your selves. Take it for what it is worth YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. Get on the list and hear them if you want to take big your Heritage Speakers to ultimate level they can achieve wiithout changing the stock cabinet. I am sure to say more later as it dawns on me, but for now I need to reflect some. BTW the guy in my audio club were blown away to say the least!!! To mention a couple of them Richard Gray of the RGPC, and Nick Ferber a friend of DR. Bruce Edgar, who I believe was the original tractrix horns designer, and a few other golden ears.

I forgot to list my system as demoed: Sophia Electric 300B MKII amp, Rogue Audio 99 Magnum pre, Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP, VPI Scoutmater/JMW 9, Otari MX 5050 BII Reel 2 Reel, Tape Project Tapes, RGPC power conditioner.

Jay

For those of you who have tried the horn/driver with ALK Universals I am curious as to what tap settings you were using.

Thanks,

Mike

Edit: Greg tells me I would need to know whether you have or have listened to the 8 ohm or 16 ohm driver. He mentioned the 8 ohm driver is 3 db louder.