Woot BDP-83

RockOn4Klipsch

I was lucky enough to have signed up early enough on the Oppo interest list and just placed my order. when I recieve it I'll let everyone know who it sounds with the klipsch stuff as I will be using primarily the analog section of the BDP-83 with my Aragon Stage One.

You guys will love it...IMHO....I actually got another invite....hmmmm. Should i buy another one..lol

How do you have it connected to your setup Berserker multi channel analog or HDMI?

Have you checked out the analog section? If so do you like the sound? I'm anxious and curious as the AVS thread has gone insane.

I'm debating between the Oppo and a PS3. They both have optical and HDMI connectivity, so I'm covered either way. The PS3 is a bit cheaper, and has the advantage of being able to play games.

Decisions, decision. Oh, and I got my invite from Oppo, too. Now, what can I sell to get $500 real quick? [^o)]

If all you're looking at is that both have optical and HDMI connectivity then the PS3 is probably best for you.

On the other hand if top-notch SD upconversion, Multi Channel Analog Output, SACD and DVD-Audio playback are on your list I think the Oppo is a no brainer. juat my 2 cents. at 499.00 the Oppo truly is a steal of a deal.

i am also excited to see that X-Box is going Blu-ray too!

Please provide link to evidence of this. I have both Xbox and the PS3; have OPPO on order. I can not find any mention of XBOX going Blu Ray that is not a year old and they so "it ain't so".

i am also excited to see that X-Box is going Blu-ray too!

Please provide link to evidence of this. I have both Xbox and the PS3; have OPPO on order. I can not find any mention of XBOX going Blu Ray that is not a year old and they so "it ain't so".

I would like proof of this as well. I use my xbox almost everyday for Netflix, games, and movies.

Here is a question for all of you guys.

Comparing the Oppo to the Sony BDP S 550, what makes the Oppo so much better and worth $ 100 more?

I've had a PS3, a Pioneer 51 and the sony s550, the s550 it a very nice unit, respectable load times, options for multi channel analog outs (ie distance, trim, x'over) and DTS MA decoding all of which the Pioneer did not have. The Pioneer definitley had more video tweaks, both had good SD upconversion with the Pio looking better IMO. The s550 beats the pio hands down in load times.

The biggest/ most noticeable difference between the oppo and the sony is obviously the DVD-Audio and SACD playback. On top of those 2 features (for 100 bucks is a steal) the oppo offers top notch DAC for those of us using the analog section for our older processors. Gold plated terminals and the ability to add a RS232 port (for use with creston or AMX module).

If you have no need or desire for DVD-Audio , SACD playback and plan to bitstream the advanced codecs the 100 bucks may not be worth the investment. However, if top of the line SD upconversion is a priority the Oppo may also be worth the extra money. From all that I've read the oppo seems to be at the top of the game in all aspects of its feature set with the exception of some DVD-audio quirks.

The multi channel Analog DACs are used in denon's all new super uber AVR are the same that the BDP-83 uses and it's stereo out's are compared to the Burr Brown PCM 1796 DACs used in last years Onkyo Models (TX SR 805, 905, 875 and so forth) so these are probably a step up from what sony is providing as I've been unable to find what sony is using.

My 2 cents.

Very nice post from someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

However there is one critical thing not mentioned; how is the manufactory support of the players? I'm in no way a big fan of Sony but as we all know when it comes to blu ray they are driving the bus. I have been pleasantly surprised by the support provided to the PS3, Sony keeps it update and on the cutting edge via automatic downloads. How will Oppo keep up with the almighty Sony and the ever-changing technology?

• Moderators

I received an invite to purchase the Oppo but will not be doing so since I have already purchased a PS3 and am thoroughly satisfied with it. If anyone is interested in using my invite to purchase the Oppo, shoot me a PM.

• Moderators

Hmmm...this whole invite thing seems to be a marketing ploy. It seems everyone that wants an invite is getting one...

I don't think that is the case. I received an invite because a long time ago, I registered on their website to be notified when the product was finished and scheduled for release. They are sending invites to those individuals that expressed an interest in it first, then shipping to those who did not receive an invite. That is my understanding at least.

I was all set to ask for an invite code, till my llewlin setter, just had $450 worth of surgery. Now I have to figure out where the analog outs are on a dog, and where to put the disc.

you have to google"X-box and Blu-ray" to get the web pages. you will find several of them first saying x-box denies it and then the others saying they plan on realeasing it. as of right now it seems (from other articles in mags) that they already have made a seperate drive (like their HD drive) but don't know if they are going to realise that. i think they are saving it for the next x-box realease and may have it intergrated.

i too wanted a X-box, they guys at gamestop convinced me it was a better player than ps3, but i don't want to buy 3 different units when i may possible be able to buy one and have it all. uuuuuuhhhhhh i am sooooo indecisive!

quick question, what are the 7.1 channel rca outputs for? i figured you just hooked it up with a hdmi and you were done. i don't really listen to any cd's just mainly movies. i get confused over all the different options to hook up the different pieces of equipement. thats one of the reasons i like the emotiva umc-1, very few hook up options. nice and clean, well to me anyway.

Very nice post from someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

However there is one critical thing not mentioned; how is the manufactory support of the players? I'm in no way a big fan of Sony but as we all know when it comes to blu ray they are driving the bus. I have been pleasantly surprised by the support provided to the PS3, Sony keeps it update and on the cutting edge via automatic downloads. How will Oppo keep up with the almighty Sony and the ever-changing technology?

Oppo is known for having great customer service, for example, I had a question about The EAP and priority list, I recieved a reply withing 10 minutes. Oppo has responded this way to everyone (not 10 min but within hours). Oppo has also released 3 firmware upgrades in the last 2 months, even addressing issues with individual discs. From my understanding they're service is amoung the best.

Even though sony is at the fore front (being the manufacturer of blu ray) does not mean that they have the best players. If this were the case then everyone would only own a sony. IMO sony looks at Blu Ray and Blu Ray players as nothing more than a source of revenue (all companies do I know that). Sony's primary goal is not performance oriented or they would sport thing like HQV upconversion ( in the Samsung models from last year) or the Wolfson DACs in the Pioneer, each company has tried to tailor to one crowd or the other (ie video or audio), the sony is smack dab in the middle with no one really boasting it's performance in any arena.

Sony know's for them it's an easy sell to go with sony because all the sales personel at BB (Bogus Buy) tell them "well the sony is the best they invented blu ray you know" so to the average consumer this sounds great because who would know how to do it better than the inventors, the actuallity is that all sony did was invent the Medium for Blu Ray, that is using a higher frequency laser to pack more material on to a single disc.

The manufacturers who take the time to implement devices to properly function and decode the material that's on the Blu Ray disc is what's more important. So companies that have higher price points but focus on performance ( ie by using better quality parts) you are going to (in most cases) get what you pay for.

The reason I believe that the PS3 gets so much attention is because of it's far reaching crowd, both gamers and the video crowd. So at any given time when comparing the PS3 to any other player the PS3 will almost always be twice as popular, the demand for the PS3 is high and it is by no means a slouch in any area, the PS3 is probably very suitable for most people. The analog outs is a neccessity for me at this time, and after living with the PS3 for a year the fan noise was attroucious.

quick question, what are the 7.1 channel rca outputs for? i figured you just hooked it up with a hdmi and you were done. i don't really listen to any cd's just mainly movies. i get confused over all the different options to hook up the different pieces of equipement. thats one of the reasons i like the emotiva umc-1, very few hook up options. nice and clean, well to me anyway.

There used if your AVR doesnt support hdmi..Or if you have both on your avr, then its an opition..Some preffer analog some preffer hdmi..I tried both..I like the hdmi better (plus less cables)....But i really like the stereo outs on it....very nice SQ IMHO for 2 channel.

BN