I once bought a McIntosh MC-2102 off AudioGone. Soon after it arrived, a listing with the same exact pictures showed up on ebay. My understanding is, McIntosh uses the serial number on the OUTSIDE of the box so I had box 12344 and it was the ONLY amp with box 12344. Knowing it was a scam, I simply went to ebay and put an open bid for 10,000 for the item.

There were some on Audiokarma that said I should be careful because I was entering into a contract to purchase and all this...

I simply said, "fine, let the person sue me... how are they going to explain in court that I'm holding the very item they are trying to sell?" If it ever comes to that, I'll tell the court, I paid cash in hand and they're trying to work me over for a double payment.

Since the pictures were of the same (type) item, it was the picture of the box that sealed the fate. I figured it would be hard for them to explain to a court how I 'scammed' them when in fact, I was the person carrying the disputed items into the courtroom.

Of course, nothing ever happened since it was a scam which is exactly what I thought would be the case.

Guest " "

photos - I personally do not see a problem with this as long as the ad says that the photo is not of the actual item.

naratives - I can see that some folks might get touchy feely about narative content....some folks are better writers than others...

I understand Coytee's situation but as long as the seller has the same make and model item (different ser.#) to sell it's not illegal unless there is some blatent misrepresentaion about condition/history etc.. Shoot, unless you have your verbiage and/or picture copyrighted there's not a lot that can be done.

i can see how people can be upset, especially with personal photos that may have personal images in the background, but if you are selling an identical item and if item is new or near to it then the description will be almost the same.

you do know that there is no expectation of privacy on the Web, right? You do know that the NSA monitors everything right?

so they can use your photo of your equipment unless eBay removes it

and so what if they do