RF-3 II and Denon Opinion

Youthman

• Moderators

I have a friend that helped me build my risers in my HT. He got so excited when I began building my theater room that he decided to enclose part of his basement and make a HT for himself. He has a 100' projection setup but his sound stinks. He says he paid $20 for all of his speakers. Front two are KLH, center and surrounds are Sony. He bought a 7.1 Onkyo to drive them. He says it gets loud, but doesn't compare to my Klipsch setup.

I found a pair of RF-3 II's and a RC-3 II with a Denon 1082 receiver for him for $475. I know lots of guys here love the Denon's with the Klipsch. He doesn't have HDMI and is using a PS3 for bluray.

I've never actually heard the RF-3 series. I'm guessing he would be thoroughly pleased with them but wanted to get some feedback as to whether this is a good deal or not. Originally, I asked her if she would sell just the three speakers and she said yes for $375. So $375 for the RF-3's and RC-3 and $100 for the Denon. Need some opinions. Good deal? \

We are going to visit them in June so I would pick them up and drive them up to Alabama for him.

I have been more than happy with my RF3II. I have had them for about 5 years now and still feel they are doing a great job for my medium sized room. I would think for the price($375) if they are even in decent shape for all three speakers, that is a good price. Of course I upgraded from the RC3II to the RC7 which most people end up doing. I assume you are referring to the Denon 1802? I have not heard of a 1082. The 1802 is pretty low on the Denon rung, so he may be better off to keep his Onkyo. Although I have no first hand listening experience of either one. Prior to my Denon 3808CI I had the Denon 2805, both of which I feel have been great matches with the Klipsch.

Since you have the RF83 setup, it is going to be hard to compare with your setup. But I think the RF3II, will definately get him on the right track.

• Moderators

Thx for your comments. I had a pair of CF-2's and he's heard them as well. He loved them too. He's been bitten by the Klipsch bug and is finally ready to have sound that compliment his video.

Here is the info on the Denon 1082. I'm not sure what model Onkyo he currently has.

He should be a very happy camper,that's a great deal as the rc3 sometimes sells for $200,and $300 would be a deal on 3's in decent shape,free radio to boot.I had 3's in my bedroom for a bit,really good speakers with a sub.The Denon 1802 is an ok avr,nothin special but not as bad as a lower end Onkyo.I have an Onkyo 606(mostly for hdmi purposes) in my garage,with Klipsch it's the minimum for music,HT is all good.

• Moderators

Thanks Fish. I'm hoping it works out for him. I'm waiting on pictures. She says there is one scratch on one speaker. Shaun if fine with minor cosmetic issues, he's not expecting mint, just not beat to crap. LOL.

I have a friend that helped me build my risers in my HT. He got so excited when I began building my theater room that he decided to enclose part of his basement and make a HT for himself. He has a 100' projection setup but his sound stinks. He says he paid $20 for all of his speakers. Front two are KLH, center and surrounds are Sony. He bought a 7.1 Onkyo to drive them. He says it gets loud, but doesn't compare to my Klipsch setup.

I've never actually heard the RF-3 series. I'm guessing he would be thoroughly pleased with them but wanted to get some feedback as to whether this is a good deal or not. Originally, I asked her if she would sell just the three speakers and she said yes for $375. So $375 for the RF-3's and RC-3 and $100 for the Denon. Need some opinions. Good deal? \

If they are in a good shape it is a really good deal for the RF 3II and the RC 3I. The MSRP for them was over $1300

I had 5 or 6 set of those and every time I sell them I can't help to go back and buy another set, they are great underestimated speakers.

I found a pair of RF-3 II's and a RC-3 II with a Denon 1082 receiver for him for $475. I know lots of guys here love the Denon's with the Klipsch. He doesn't have HDMI and is using a PS3 for bluray.

Unless you have HDMI 1.3 a you will not be able to get the new sound formats ( and you know that [:#]) but if you do not have HDMI you can get a cable for the PS3 which will convert the HDMI to RCA

For the receiver check out this denon link

• Moderators

I had 5 or 6 set of those and every time I sell them I can't help to go back and buy another set, they are great underestimated speakers.

Thx Falcon.

Unless you have HDMI 1.3 a you will not be able to get the new sound formats ( and you know that Zip it!) but if you do not have HDMI you can get a cable for the PS3 which will convert the HDMI to RCA

I actually forgot about that. In my brain, I was just thinking his projector does not have HDMI so HDMI would not really be an option for him. But I guess he could still buy a HDMI receiver, and connect PS3 to receiver with HDMI for the audio, then come out of the receiver with component for the HD video. Either way, he is more interested in the speakers than he is the receiver.

• Moderators

I just got off the phone. Goldie ended up being a him and not a her. Oops. I wondered why he didn't respond when I said I hope you had a happy mother's day. Insert foot into mouth. [:#]

He is in Home Theater business and is upgrading them to some sort of round speakers that fire in different directions. There is only one small scratch on the speakers and he says they sound great. I'm heading over tomorrow morning to look at them and hopefully bring them home for my friend. I will either bring them with me when I visit with Shaun in the Summer or he might make the 10 hour drive (one way) from Alabama to Florida to visit for a day and take them home with him.

• Moderators

I picked up the RF-3II and the RC-3II this morning. They were in great condition. One very minor scratch on one of the speakers (could not even find it after I brought them inside). Only other sign of wear was one grill peg was broken. Everything else looks great. I hooked them up in the theater room and they sound fantastic. I'm sure Shaun is going to love them. I was going to bring them up when we visit his family in June/July but he's so excited that he's driving down from Alabama (10 hours one way) this Friday after work, will get in early AM on Saturday, hang out all day and then head back early Sunday morning. He built a theater room in his basement, has a 1080p projector, 100" screen and $30 Sony speakers. LOL. Boy is he in for a MAJOR UPGRADE in sound! I think he's going to absolutely love them. Another Klipsch convert. [:D]

rf-3a.jpg

rf-3b.jpg

rf-3c.jpg

rf-3d.jpg

rf-3e.jpg

• Moderators

Once again, thanks for all of the input. I think it will be $375 well spent for him. He has a Mackie 15" sub that will help drive the bottom end although they provide a good amount of bass by themselves. We decided the Denon wouldn't be much of an upgrade for him anyways since neither is capable of taking advantage of the HD Audio. That will be a later upgrade for him. Maybe I'll sell him my Yamaha one day if I decide to move to a pre/pro.

I was going to bring them up when we visit his family in June/July but he's so excited that he's driving down from Alabama (10 hours one way) this Friday after work, will get in early AM on Saturday, hang out all day and then head back early Sunday morning.

Now we're talking. I'd probably do the same thing. Good job finding them for him, that's an awesome price!

• Moderators

Good job finding them for him, that's an awesome price!

I'm constantly looking. Sometimes it's for me, other times it is for people that I think might would be interested. I spoke to Shaun on the phone today. He recalls telling his wife that one day he would like to own some Klipsch speakers and she thought it would never happen. His dreams will become a reality this Friday. I'm excited for him and already have them setup in the theater room and created a playlist of music on the PS3 that I'll use as a demo for him.

• Moderators

Very nice deal they look great, don't forget to tell him to adjust the level with a spl meter when he sets them up to get a nice even volume. If he has no experience he may just get excited and not have them adjusted and be loosing out on a much better sound.

If I were him I would be driving also, easy decision, he got lucky with that deal. [Y]

Good idea to have them setup in your room for him to listen, he will be thinking about that sound all the way home !

• Moderators

don't forget to tell him to adjust the level with a spl meter when he sets them up to get a nice even volume. If he has no experience he may just get excited and not have them adjusted and be loosing out on a much better sound.

Good point. He can borrow my SPL meter and ship it back to me when he's finished with it.

Good idea to have them setup in your room for him to listen, he will be thinking about that sound all the way home !

He's probably jealous that I'm enjoying his speakers before he can. LOL.

• Moderators

Just curious, anyone ever use NAD with Klipsch? When I picked them up, he had them hooked up to a NAD receiver that had a DVD player built into it. Not sure of the model number but it looked like the NAD L73.

200703_nad_l73.jpg

From what little I heard, it sounded good with them. I've never seen a receiver/dvd combo before. Wonder if there are sacrifices made because of it. It was funny cause he owns a Home Theater business and his partner asked what I would be hooking up with it. I told him Shaun had an Onkyo and he said, "That's good. At least he doesn't have a Yamaha". I didn't say anything since I own a Yamaha. I later told him that I was using a Yamaha in my theater. He felt the Yamaha has too much of an echo with the various DSP's. I told him I only use 2ch Stereo, 7ch Stereo and Movies Standard setting. He felt the NAD would blow my Yamaha away. I talked to him about bartering a website for his business in exchange for some audio gear. He offered the NAD, just wanted to get some opinions on it.

• Moderators

I really like my Yamaha, but some of the dsp's do have a lot of echo like concert hall and a couple of others, but I thought those were designed like that ? I use the standard settings or "normal" setting for the DTS music stuff and for movies I usually use movie thtr 1 or 2.

Let us know after your friend gets to hear his speakers about what he thinks, and tell him were happy for him and expect him to join the forum.