Thoughts?

Beta

Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing a pair of Klipsch RF-83 speakers for my two channel system. I am a music person. Not an AV person.

My set up consists of the following....

Parasound A-21 Amp

Parasound P-3 Preamp

Cambridge Audio 840C redbook CD player

(my Amp, Preamp and Cambridge Audio 840C are inter-connected via balenced cables)

Denon DCM 380 5 disc CD player

Onkyo daul cassette player

APC HC15 Power Conditioner

80 gig classic Apple IPOD

Phillips IPOD dock/controller

Polk Audio RT2000i speakers

Polk Audio PSW 450 Sub

I purchased the Polks about 8 years ago. They are in pristine condition. Unfortunately, from day one, I never really liked the sound of the RT2000i's (not a smart move on my part). They just seem to sound "flat" to my ears. Like they lack "crisp highs". I realize the sound of a speaker is subjective to the listener. I am simply hoping to obtain some insight on the RF-83s. My wife isn't overly happy about the size of my RT-2000i's. Good thing they were already in my living room before we met. Would I be going significantly backwards by considering the Klipsch RB-81s?

The bottom-line is that I would like to move into speakers that offer crispier highs. I am open to any speaker brand. Thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Beta

• Moderators

The bottom-line is that I would like to move into speakers that offer crispier highs. I am open to any speaker brand. Thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Take a guess what brand we might suggest ?

Welcome to the forum, there are many here who have plenty of experience to help.

Take a guess what brand we might suggest ? Idea

Welcome to the forum, there are many here who have plenty of experience to help.

We got a lot of crispiness to go around. [:D]

Welcome to the forum, the nice thing about Klipsch is that there is so many pre-existing lines out there at reasonable prices for used. One thing you may be able to do is find some nice folks close by that might have a couple if not at least one line of Klipsch products for you to test. Good luck on your journey, I am sure you will find something around here even at a fair price.

duder.

• Moderators

What part of the country do you live ? the Polks look about the size of the Rf line, you may have someone not far from you who has Forte's, Chorus, Cornwalls, Heresys or even the Rf's.

Those RT200i cabinets are:

45.5 inches tall

9.5 wide

16.75 deep

If you need wife approval, Corwalls probably won't make the cut. Some of the RF line would work. Chorus and Forte would be next, being a little wider. You will certainly get more sparkle from the Klipsch models.

Bruce

The RF83 is a much larger system. It's 3dB more efficient, which is not a lot ~ essentially the same as if you doubled the amplifier power (100w/RF83=200w/RB81). The big difference will be in the bass. The RF83 goes much deeper and will likely sound a lot more powerful with a larger sound field.

I've found that the larger sound field tends to encourage me to not have to play it as loud in order to hear the detail. My wife feels the same way. I replaced RC7 mains with Chorus and my wife agrees. She doen't like the large size either, but it sounds better and doesn't have to be turned up as loud to get a big full sound, so she likes it better.

The RF83 or RB81 should provide more crispness in the midrange and treble than the Polks.