BIG horn bracket needed

Need to manufacture a horn bracket.

So I've got these large-format JBL horns. They are like 32" square at the mouth, just enormous. There is a very heavy cast iron throat with large eyelets cast into it, presumably for hanging. I need to devise some system to secure these horns so they can't vibrate off the top of my MCM stacks and so that I can aim them.

Anybody got any ideas?

My first thought is to use some 1" square aluminum stock that I have and bolt it to the bottom edge of the horn and add rubber footies to that to stablize the whole thing. They I could run one or two angle pieces toward the throat but I get caught up in how to attach to the throat and provide some small amount of tilt. I don't have the time or energy to build an entire frame around the contraption and 'hang' the throat in that by chain so that idea is out.

ooo, maybe use threaded rod for the upright pieces? They'd be infinitely adjustable if a bit awkward. I could use dual 1/4" rods that would pass right through the eyelets in the cast throat. Ideas?

M

post-10755-13819475090178_thumb.jpg

Yes thanks SF- check the thread under Pilgrimage for IndyFest 2009. I show the entire system there. The JBL's are my long-throw (if ya wanna use that term) horns on top of the MSM's. They are run with a separate Crown amp and xover and for now I just have the K69A drivers on them with a CD horn eq. They sound sweet and look very powerful on top of the rig.

Thanks again for a great Forum brother gift- I'll be putting these to good use this summer!

Michael

I pieced these together. SF won the horns somewhere but it was cost-prohibitive to ship, they were one hour from Indy so I went and picked them up. I found the cast throats on eBayand had them shipped in.

I really don't think there is such a bracket commercially made. I can't find one on JBL site to even copy. I think these are usually hung in stadiums.

That's kind of what I have in mind, just a very basic skeleton version of it that I can build at home.

The basics are a front bar to support the base of the horn and provide attachment point for big rubber footies, a cross piece (angle aluminum) that runs front to back, and a vertical piece that is adjustable.

In lieu of using the threaded rod uprights, I might create two vertical pieces from angle aluminum and attach them together with a piece of round rod that would support the top hanging hoop of the throat.

Gotta watch costs and complication.

M

I really don't think there is such a bracket commercially made. I can't find one on JBL site to even copy. I think these are usually hung in stadiums.

Nope. There is a JBL bracket that was packaged with it. I sold mine so I don't have the model # or photo.

Basically it is a plate on the bottom with two vertical arms. On each arm are holes to accomodate bolts that go through the arms and the holes in the junction that connects the metal throat to the composite horn. There are other provisions that allow tilt and height adjustments.

Do a search on the JBL 4675C system. There may be a part number or a picture to guide you on improvising something.

BTW, what driver did you end up using on that horn?

Good Luck,

-Tom

I pieced these together. SF won the horns somewhere but it was cost-prohibitive to ship, they were one hour from Indy so I went and picked them up. I found the cast throats on eBayand had them shipped in.

Oh yea?

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=244&doctype=3

Look close to the bottom of that document. 2506 A B or C are the brackets for that horn dude.

http://www.spectrumaudio.com/2506C.htm

here is the system….look at the end of the description to see the bracket listed….

http://www.avgiant.com/JBL-Professional-4675C-4LF-Direct-Radiator-High-Power-Large-Cinema-System

Here is what it looks like dude!

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre%20Series/4675CHFA.pdf

jc

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2506b.pdf

Page 2 top of page shows the cantilevered bracket made by JBL.

Let's assume that I don't want to bolt something directly to my MSM cabinet, don't have the wherewithall of $180 per each for the brackets and lack the capability to manufacture this same piece out of 1/8" steel. Now what? I think I'm back to my plan of building a 'T' shaped bottom brace with uprights to catch the cast horn throat. Can probably build the entire thing out of square and angle stock aluminum for $50 for the pair.

I developed a simple bracket for my Altec 511Bs out of wood that worked quite well. I used 1/2-inch birch ply for the upright horn support. You'd probably need to beef up the thickness ofr your heavier and larger horns, but this cost very little and proved to work quite well.

Good luck,

George Roland

post-22480-13819475193014_thumb.jpg

They are like 32" square at the mouth, just enormous. There is a very heavy cast iron throat with large eyelets cast into it, presumably for hanging.

The longer these sit in my house, the smaller they seem to me. [*-)]

Michael, the throats are cast aluminum and not iron. Still pretty heavy, though. Did you say yours were the 60 x 40 horns? JBL considers those a medium throw horn.

Bruce