What defines a Corner

I hope this doesn't end up me having to re-model the house. My buddy and fellow Forum member USNRET call the other day. He had just recieved his Khorns, plugged them into something and called, "You gotto git shs a pair of these dudes" OK, not to be out done, the search is on. but I have to do my due diligence. The would have to go downstairs where the Belles are and be running with the MC275. I got one good corner but the other may be a problem. Mike, I hope you realize this is all your fault, I hope Lee hits you up side the head just for good measure. Anyway my other corner is little, picture attached. The return on the left side is only 19", is that enough???? or do I have to construct a wing wall of sorts? Can it be movable or does it have to be sealed at top, bottom and one side? I believe I read or someone told me you needed 4" of side wall, is this for reflective purposes??

post-32367-13819475225576_thumb.jpg

CB,

I think there was a topic about this, I will try to look for it. I am sure other will help you out.

Can it be movable or does it have to be sealed at top, bottom and one side?

I did read that you can angle the top more but the bottom needs to be tight in the corner for the bass.

This is all from reading things here, so I may be wrong, as I don't own a pair myself.

James

I had Belles but now I have Jubilee clones and Khorns. The Belles have there strengths. I like the height of the top hat for your listening position on the Belles much better. The ability to move the speakers for a better sound stage was also a big strength. I had mine pulled back from the wall abit and toed in and that is what worked for me after much tweaking. The khorns have lower bass but even now I could live with Belles and be very happy.

...I got one good corner but the other may be a problem...The return on the left side is only 19", is that enough???? or do I have to construct a wing wall of sorts? Can it be movable or does it have to be sealed at top, bottom and one side? I believe I read or someone told me you needed 4" of side wall, is this for reflective purposes??

Khorn "false corners" are pretty commonly used. PWK used them himself:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/96656/977678.aspx#977678

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/33966.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/53737/516349.aspx#516349

Bob having owned these for just a couple of days and only a couple of hours listening time I would say that lower room would work out OK. Maybe not the ultimate but just fine. Remember that bass is non-directional, you have the rear wall on the left and I see NO reason why a "portable" wall on the left return wouldn't work out. On the other hand, the living room turned 90 degrees facing the fireplace would be great, that open room and the width would allow a lot of fore and aft movement for the sweet spot. I need to start working on moving them up to the toy room. Latest word on my move is sometime around first of July so I can not get myself motivated to re-construct the house until I know for sure but with what I am hearing vs. my Belles/Chorus II/Quartets/Forte IIs re-contruction would be something I would do.

OK, had a little time to think about this. I have ruled out the upstairs, that would just require to many changes, windows, HVAC vents, furniture placement, TV placement.

So I will say that the Khorn will be religated to the downstairs, it seems that false corners may address the having no corners, ones OK but the other is just too small. Questions; from corner to corner is 12'-6", is that far enough apart for the Khorns? I guess you would have to deduce the thickness of the false corner, so right at 12 feet. Is there anyway to do this without destroying the original Khorn, not drilling holes or getting an airtight seal between the false corner and the speaker. The false corner, material does it matter, I have seen some posts where many were concerned about stiffness or density, which is more important?. The pictures that Mr. Tiger sent me looked really good with grills and all.

If I can find out HOW to do it, I think I can do it, with some real purdy veneer, sweet

Are there any plans out there? How did Paul suggest that it be done?

Thanks guys

CB

Questions; from corner to corner is 12'-6", is that far enough apart for the Khorns?

No, it'll put you're sweet spot about 5 or 6 feet in front of the speakers -- been there done that.

I suggest you forget the false corners and finish the backs of the Klipschorns (if you buy some). This will alllow you turn them into the room, and if you keep them within a foot of the corners, you won't lose anything. Personally, I think you'll be disappointed after being exposed to the better horns and drivers. You'll gain some authority on the bottom end, but that's it.

Remember that bass is non-directional, you have the rear wall on the left and I see NO reason why a "portable" wall on the left return wouldn't work out.

Bass is "non-directional" until you start playing with subwoofers and realize that no matter what you do, you can always tell where the sound is coming from -- which is why most of end up with two subs. As for the Klipschorn, the bins are responsible for output up to 400Hz, which involves quite a bit of lower midrange content. As for the corners, the stronger the better. The Klipschorn unloads a tremendous amount of energy through the back. Weak corners are the kiss of death if you want solid and authoritative output.

Bass is "non-directional" until you start playing with subwoofers and realize that no matter what you do, you can always tell where the sound is coming from -- which is why most of end up with two subs.

Yep , you can definitely tell where the sub is located . For myself and my room the sub works best next to the center speaker . If you don't have the proper room for KHorns , which I believe most of us here don't , why not stay with the Belles and add a killer sub .

I certainly don't have the proper corners or at least not enough spacing between the ones I could use. On the plus side my sub works great in HT mode for LFE and with the crossover at 38 hZ the location is pretty much unknown. If I were to get it up where the music is then yes you can certainly find it. Even with the way my KHs are currently stacked in the room they kill the Belles on the bottom however the sweet spot is at about 6'.

Bob, you always have the option of losing the bed down below and setting speakers across the front long wall. What was that comment you made about being a bachelor and doing what you want.......

As I am new to these spkrs, does the math of sweet spot being 1/2 +/- width work out as you spread them further apart?

Pulling a Khorn away from it's corner, or having non-standard or incomplete wall boundaries does not affect the lowest bass regions as one might think. The first suck-out usually occurs at between 250-300 Hz. But it's noticeable and bothersome.

I think the recommendation is to have at least 4' of solid wall from floor to the top of the bass horn at least. DFH would detail this.