Super Cornwalls

I finally have enough done to show some pictures.

I refinished the cabinets on these, and installed all new upgraded components. They have Crites 1526C cast frame woofers, wooden tractrix midrange horns with a 2" throat, BMS 4592ND-MID drivers, and crossovers built like the ALK Universal. Thanks to Al for helping me with the design. Tweeters are to be determined. I've set up three of them in a temporary stand on top of the speakers to try them out to see which I like best.

I still have not listened to them, hopefully this weekend.

Greg

post-11090-13819475455932_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased tweeter attenuators from ALK and I mounted them in a hole cut out of the back of the Cornwall so I can adjust the attenuation from outside. That's what you see in the upper left of this picture.

The white wires in the upper right come from the 3636 autotransformer to adjust the midrange attenuation. I ran those into an eight-space barrier strip on the back of the speaker so I can hook up the midrange driver to any two, and attenuate the midrange from outside the speaker.

Greg

post-11090-13819475457312_thumb.jpg

I'm sure it will sound great!

Aren't you a dealer for BMS now? Call that thing a Cornscala with greg's mod and build those boxes from scratch and sell them. That whole Cornwall thing with a great midhorn/driver is the way to go.

jc

Greg,

Very nice.

One thing I was wondering, there is enough space above the midhorn that one could use a K77 or CT125, right?

The ALK attenuators are really slick little rascals. That's handy to have them accessible from the back of the cab.

I'm sure it will sound great!

Aren't you a dealer for BMS now? Call that thing a Cornscala with greg's mod and build those boxes from scratch and sell them. That whole Cornwall thing with a great midhorn/driver is the way to go.

jc

I don't know if I'd call myself a dealer, but I can offer the drivers at the same price as the distributor and make a couple of bucks on them since I get a discount.

I like the idea of building a nice box of my own design and offering this speaker for sale. I should listen to it first though. [:|]

Greg

How would those horns sound with standard corwall 2 drivers and crossovers?

The horns are made with a 2" throat so they won't work with the stock Cornwall II drivers. But Dave "Gothover" has some horns that will probably work with those.

Greg

Greg,

Very nice.

One thing I was wondering, there is enough space above the midhorn that one could use a K77 or CT125, right?

The ALK attenuators are really slick little rascals. That's handy to have them accessible from the back of the cab.

Yup, K77's or Crites CT-125's. I'm also trying out a Beyma CP09 and a Ciare tweeter, I forget the model number. I would have used the Beyma CP25 but it wouldn't fit over the mid horn.

If I were to do this again, I would think about putting the mid horn up higher and then using the Beyma CP25 a little lower and to the side over the woofer. I looked at it as a possibility on these ones, but I wasn't sure about the placement and how it would sound.

Greg