Khorn mods for a beginner

USNRET

I have a set of '74 horns that are stock with AA crossovers, 'push pin' K-55s and K-77 tweeters that have round magnets.

I will be driving them with an original Peach and a VRDS stereo amp.

For xovers I have the AAs and the ABs I took out of my Belles. For drivers I have the the installed ones, a set of K-55Vs solder type and K-77s square magnet from the Belles.

I also have a set of Gothover mid horns.

I am looking for input one what componets to use/replace and a source for a new HF motor board & grill kit for the C model Khorns.

Or another way to ask, can I use either AA or AB with any of the drivers and horns without issue?

Fresh caps in the crossover for sure.

If you are going to replace the original tweeters, I'd suggest CT-125 which is a drop in replacement for the K77. The CT-125 is essentially bullet proof and has a great sound for HF. Cymbal crashes and such sound quite realistic.

I have the CT125s in my Belles. You guys have answered the K-55 vs K-55 (push pin vs soldered) I guess my real question now is can I get into any technical issues using the ABs with the drivers I have. I know not to use the Bob's A4500s with the K-77s.

Michael. not ready to do anything yet. Hope to get them in the right room this weekend. The little Brown Truck should have the newest goody here by then.

Bob, your a retired bachelor living high atop a mountain entertaining bears for a hoby. You have no need to drink.

Richard, again not trying to adopt modifications at this time. Just trying to find out what components are compatible in order to return spec or better with parts I already have). I really hope that I will have no need to replace my Peach, Tercel, VRD set up all which are either new or fresh from the 'da man'.

I have some 84s- I thought about mods but they sound so good that I am afraid to mess with them. Did they sound OK or was there anything wrong?? i will follow this thread closely.

I did hear that they sound better if your pour a little makers over the crossover section. She let you back into the house??? How is that knot on your head from the frying pan?? Sorry that I missed your calls. Busy with other stuff on the landline. I will give you a call.

Really anxious to hear what you think about the horns after you get them right

If you are going to replace the original tweeters, I'd suggest CT-125 which is a drop in replacement for the K77. The CT-125 is essentially bullet proof and has a great sound for HF. Cymbal crashes and such sound quite realistic.

Does the CT-125 tweeters make a large difference in sound. Is their frequency extended compared to the original design? I have a pair of original '74 K-horns as well (mint Rosewood behemoths).

thanks,

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Just trying to resurrect this thread and to give my input on my experience with KHorns. (FYI - Although 2 channel audio has been my hobby for about 15 years, the first time I heard a horn of any type was when I went to the house of the seller and picked up my KHorns, so I am a total newb with horns, hi efficiency speakers, etc.)

I was following this thread because I got a pair of ' 65 KHorns a couple of months ago and have been working to get them to sound their best. First thing I did was figure out that KHorns need to go in the corners. Not "sound their best in the corners" or "get them in corners if you can" but need to be in corners. Next I treated my room by taking everything out (room treatments I had from previous versions of systems) and starting over. I found that I don't need a lot of bass traps in my small room (I did with other speakers), and treating the opposite corner of each speaker with HF damping helps tame the horns.

I had planned on crossover, internal wiring, tweeter/squaker, etc. upgrades and replacements. I ran into a guy with horns and we talked about how my KHorns were (at the time) inconsistent in that some recordings sounded excellent and some sounded "off." His recommendation was to get the source and amplifier right and then mess with the speakers. I've since gone from SS and 100 watt tube amps to low power SETs and to me the SETs sound right with these speakers. I have a 2 watt (EL84) and a 6 watt (807) amp. The move to SET amps made the biggest difference to me.

I also got the Bob Crites A / AA crossovers and they helped to clean up the sound, as well as create more space between instruments. I'm still playing with the A vs. AA thing, but I'll have that sorted out soon (which sounds better to me). The Crites networks didn't make me believe I got a new pair of speakers, but they certainly made an improvement. But my crossovers were 44 years old, so I guess that's to be expected.

I've had a lot of gear in my room over the years, and I've done a lot of work and experimenting to get what I've had to sound best. I've never had a system sound as good as it does now and I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Nothing earth shattering, just some information for those who like me are wrestling with these beasts.

Does the CT-125 tweeters make a large difference in sound. Is their frequency extended compared to the original design? I have a pair of original '74 K-horns as well (mint Rosewood behemoths).

thanks,

Pete

Pete.

Sorry to be late getting back to you. Hadn't looked back on the thread.

I think the improvement of the CT-125 offers is substantial over the K-77. Of course, audio preferences are always subjective. I know persons who feel just as strongly in their preference for the K77.

They do have usable extended frequency relative to the K77, which poops out at 17khz on the top end. The CT-125 is good from 3.5khz to 20khz.

The CT-125 works fine as a drop in replacement for the K77 which is crossed at 6000hz.

Because of it's power handling capability at lower frequencies it can be crossed over at 4500hz (or lower if desired) fully capable of handling what is ordinarily the top end of the K55's range giving the Khorn a smoother sound, to my ears. Klipsch now crosses the K77 at 4500hz in Khorns for the same reason, but this should not be done with a vintage crossover design. In a Type A or AA crossover (at 4500hz) the user would be taking the life of the K77 in his hands. However, on these older crossovers the conversion is simple, inexpensive and can be made easily convertible.

The complexity of the currently used Khorn crossovers would not be a good match to the CT-125. These new crossovers are really dialed in to optimize the K77 and new Khorn owners are best advised to keep their speakers stock.

With the vintage Khorns, the CT-125 is a good match for the much simpler vintage crossovers. To my ears, it's a huge bang for the buck champ.