My 6th Ave experience so far and cable question

MrAlps

I ordered a pair of cherry RF-83s and an RC-64 from 6th Ave on June 2nd (you can read about the deal in the Klipsch RS-42 @ 6Ave Electronics post), I finally emailed 6th Ave on June 11th cause I haven't heard anything about shipping and my credit card wasn't charged, this is the response I get back...

"Thanks for your e-mail. We sincerely apologize but we had to special order this from Klipsch and we expect them to arrive within 2-3 weeks. Thanks."

Now, I've been saving for 2 years for speakers and these are way better than what I thought I was going to be able to get which makes me extra pumped. So this deal so it's hard to be mad as much as I am just sad, AND it's hard to think that a few extra weeks is going to make a difference after lusting for 2 years, but still I want my speakers! It'll end up being a month or more before I get them ARRRGGGGHH!

OK on to my cable question -- not sure if this the right place to post this question but...

I want new wire for my fronts when I get them. Right now I'm using monster cable, no banana plugs or anything. I want a set that have the plugs pre-attached. Any suggestions? What do you guys use? Should I just buy the little plugs you wire onto the cable? Somehow I don't think those are going to be as good as a set pre-wired.

Thanks for the suggestions and listening to my little rant

Hey whats up....my personally, I would goto monoprice.com, buy some cable and plugs and do if myself, however,if you really like the monster name, the klipsch website under the "buy now" link has a nice speaker cable kit for 70 bucks, which isnt a horrible price, but still more that than diy.

here is the link

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/monster-cable-kit-5-1-overview/

Gotcha....well it is a very easy diy, the plugs just screw apart, slide the cable in and screw the tops back on. They are a pretty tight fit. I did them to all my connections. If your worried about it, skip the banana plugs and just use the bare cable.

As stated, if you don't want to mess with connectors just use bare wire. The major thing with connectors is if you move the speakers a lot the connectors would be nice as they are easier to disconnect and reconnect. In the end, it is just all personal preference...

James

• Moderators

I'm a fan of banana plugs. It is a total pain to hook up wires to the back of a receiver, mainly due to the compact space they put the posts in. And if you can't easily get behind it, it makes it even more difficult. Monoprice has some that are very inexpensive and work very well.

Hey whats up....my personally, I would goto monoprice.com, buy some cable and plugs and do if myself, however,if you really like the monster name, the klipsch website under the "buy now" link has a nice speaker cable kit for 70 bucks, which isnt a horrible price, but still more that than diy.

here is the link

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/monster-cable-kit-5-1-overview/

Those are intended to be used with the Promedia speakers. They are only 16ga. I use DIY banana plugs and it works great and is EASY.

When I bought some speakers recently the seller included 3 pairs of Monster Cable Z-Series cable with banana plugs on all ends. I always used to use bare wire. Man do I love having the bananas! I just swapped out receivers and re-connecting the wires in the back of the receiver took all of a minute or two which included the speaker wires, HDMI, component video, S-video, etc.

I personally wouldn't buy Monster Cable but when I get them for free I don't mind.

Just go to monoprice and get some 12 gauge wire and get some bannana plugs from orange county speaker and you will be fine.

DSC01629.jpg

is 12 gauge the stadard? i've been using 16 and thought it was the right size. looks like i need to get me some new cables.

Just a comment about banana plugs and this is from real life experience.....

I know most on here aren't using large power amps. And by large I mean 200+ watts. However, some are and some will in the future. Please keep in mind that if you've invested in a very high quality power amp that has the ability to handle down to 2ohm loads, you darn near have at your disposal an arc welder. Which means that if you've got your power amp up & running and you let one of those fancy gold (+) banana plugs come into contact with a (-) one, you're in for a treat.

It was a bit of trouble, but back when I was running a 2 & a 5 channel power amp in my system, I spent a rainy with some red & black heat shrink tubing and a heat gun and made sleeves for all (14) banana plug terminated speaker cables. This not only ensured that the metal bodies couldn't come into contact with each other, it also made identifying the polarity of the cables a bit easier.

Oh - and while I like the convenience of, and still use, banana plugs, not all are created equal. My experience has been that the tines (the part of the plug that actually makes contact with the female jack) are the weak link. If you look closely at the tines you might see that they aren't uniform in how much they project or bow outward. This results in uneven pressure when inserted and in some cases, just plain sloppy connection.

Tom

I just finished installing some of the GLS Audio banana plugs (will finish when I get my new fronts) and I have to say they are awesome! Never thought I would be so geeked about banana plugs but they were great. I highly recommend them to everyone.

My speakers shipped! AAAAHHH I'm so excited!!! I can't handle it. I can't track my order though so I don't know when they are going to come. I hope they come on Monday....does that seem reasonable? I have monday and tues off this week (don't ever work at a news station). Ooooh I can't wait.