Latest Khorn Restoration

Greg

You really did another top notch job on those babies, I tried dropping an email through the site but I am not set up with outlook express. I would like to say a couple of things, one that I really enjoy reading about your restorations. It brings me back when I first read about the rosewood ones you did a while back, at first I was funny about re veneering but then I realized that sometimes that's all you can do. I stumble on your site before I came a member to the the forum, now I glad I get the chance to follow what you do when you do it. Its neat to see the transformation from original stock khorns to completely redesign, with the enclosed backs, new networks, and your v-track mid horn with different drivers, and tweeters. Were the different drivers and networks the customers orders or are they necessary for your v-track mid horns, also I know I have seen some websites about the alk networks are those ones your design or did you get them from another site. Man so many questions to ask so little time. But just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post the pics for us around here to see what you do since we cant be there in person and all.

Nick

Dang, I about got vertigo looking at the photos. I thought I was going to fall into the grain. Freakish attention to detail, including the crossover build, spade lug terminations, EVERYTHING.

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!! [Y][*][{][}]

Outstanding job as usual!!Big SmileYes

What is the difference in the sound of the bass with the closed backs compared to the open backs?

That is a great question. The only way I'd be able to tell is to bring them to my house and switch them with my Khorns, which I'm really thinking about doing. It's just so darn hard to move these big speakers, especially when I just about have a heart attack every time they come anywhere near anything that might scratch them! I don't know, I'm still thinking about it. I've got a few days.

Greg

PS - thanks everyone for the kind words.

PSS - I'll take this opportunity to remind all you Khorn owners out there that the V-Trac demo units are available to anyone who wants to try them out. Just pay shipping. I don't have enough people on the list.

post-11090-1381948636057_thumb.jpg

Greg, Does sealing the backs of K-horns change the EQ or upset the balance of the overall speakers sound?

Jay

I don't know. Sealing the tailboards of Khorns improves the midbass more than the low frequencies. Part of my curiousity about hearing the FLKhorns is not only to see if they sound better, but if they possibly sound worse! What I mean is, it's possible that enclosing the backs will accentuate the midbass frequencies too much, and revoicing the speaker through the crossover might be necessary. It's possible Klipsch had to do this with the 60th anniversary Khorns.

I think this is a stretch, but who knows?

A couple people have asked why I went to the trouble of enclosing the backs by adding to the overall size of the cabinet, meaning that I put the enclosure pieces on the outside of the bass bins, and not within the bass horn. Doing this required that I also extend the tophat pieces 3/4" so the depth of the tophat matched the increased depth of the enclosed bass bin. I felt that taking 3/4" away from the size of the bass horn mouth on each side would impact the sound of the bass, which was not acceptable to me.

Greg

post-11090-138194863641_thumb.jpg

Supurb, even if these ones faught with you a little! Big Smile

Humidiy? What humidity? (Said the guy with the new $20,000 lawn which is producing more mushrooms than bluegrass!)

$20K lawn! Ouch!

Let's see . . . Jubilees, EV DX38, Two pairs of VRD's, a really nice TT, and a $5K lawn. Yeah, that's more like it!

Greg

For those that don't know, Greg is restoring these Khorns for me. I was undecided between Jubs and a pair of Greg's restored Khorns, and decided on these after I saw the pair on Craigslist in Tampa for a very reasonable amount. I have been enamored with Greg's work for the last 4 years or so, and never thought I would be in a position to do something like this. The work he did on these looks incredible, and I can't wait to see/hear them in person!

Thanks again, Greg!

Mike