Finally starting to pull the dream together! (THX ULTRA2)

tragusa3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I've never had a forum cut up my photos like this....don't know what in the world is doing it? Any ideas moderator? I'm linking through photobucket.

If you link to external photos, you will need to make sure they are around 700 pixels wide or less so that they will fit within the forum. Your images are 1024 pixels wide and thus does not fit within the frame of the forum.

Two ways to fix this. Resize your images to around 700 pixels wide and link them in the forums.

Other option is you can click on the Options tab, then browse to your image and actually upload it to the Klipsch forum. It will resize it to fit within the forum and if you click on the link, it will show the image in full resolution. Only downside to this is that you can only upload one image per post.

• Moderators

I hate to be the one to say it but if you got to + on the receiver you may need more power or a 3 ch amp to connect to your pre outs to give enough for headroom which should be in short supply at + 5 to 15.

Glad you like the THX speakers, a sub to keep up and the rest of the speakers will make a world of difference, your not even close to your final sound, it will be unbelievable.

Thanks Youthman. I'll keep them to 700 wide.

dtel, it is reassuring to know that I'm on my way to "unbelievable". For now, it's impressive, but doesn't live up to that big of a word. :)

I knew two things going in. I would need the whole system of speakers and I would not "need", but want to move up to more powerful seperates. I'm thinking the receiver is doing well enough that I can get by with it for a little bit anyway. Now the sub is a different story. I want more sub just as soon as I can swing it.

Wanted to add ..... I expected it, but am still surprised that the receiver isn't enough. All the talk of efficiency had me believing that they would be so easy on the amps. Again, they would be plenty for 9 out of 10 people with the receiver, but if you truely want to live up to the "unbelievable" description then you have got to have lots of power. Things I've read on the forum, but now I'm understanding first hand.

• Moderators

The receiver is fine, no rush, the only reason I said anything is it sounded like it really loud sometimes which the unit you have now can do. It's just later down the road you could do something just to give you that extra head room for really loud parts of a movie.

Another thing to think about is after these speakers break in a little more you may find the sound to get even a little better than it is now, when it all comes together and you bring the wife in to see the first movie her mouth will drop with everything adjusted and tuned up, she will be happy.

I knew two things going in. I would need the whole system of speakers and I would not "need", but want to move up to more powerful seperates. I'm thinking the receiver is doing well enough that I can get by with it for a little bit anyway. Now the sub is a different story. I want more sub just as soon as I can swing it.

The 650's do need good subs. You'll be suprised, your receiver won't sound as underpowered once you get some. The subs made a huge difference for me.

jb, did you run 650's for awhile without subs? or with undersized subs? and what did you add, the K120's? a single or a pair?

I believe you're right, that the sub is where a large portion of the dynamics come from. I'm just crossing my fingers that I will be impressed.

tony

I was using a dual 12 svs when I first got the 650's and 525's. The svs was just not sounding right, there seemed to be a gap in midbass. I tried adding a rt-10d, and it helped, but still didn't fix problem. Was thinking maybe problem was with 650's not getting enough power.

Went ahead and got the kw-120's and ka-1000's and didn't have midbass gap anymore. The 120's just blend so well with the 650's.

The 120's really are impressive subs. They will get low, similar to the svs I was using, but they are just cleaner and smoother sounding.

Having used the svs which "digs deep" and the kw-120's which are more refined, I prefer the sound of quality bass over svs quanity. Just something to think about when your shopping for subs, lower doesn't mean better sounding.

With the older speakers, I wouldn't dare turn it past about -4, as the speakers would really complain. I got to -4 and even 00 and these were starting to sound out pretty well and not complaining! So I moved up a little at a time until I hit +15 which is the max on the receiver. The room was filled with amazingly clear impactful sound. smile.gif My ears were starting to ring and a headache was coming on fast, so I pulled it back to something more "normal" and left the room for a bit to let my ears "recalibrate" themselves.

If you're used to turning up the volume until you start to hear distortion, time for a different way to think. Since your new speakers won't be straining or distorting, just turn it up until it sounds realistic, but not so high that your ears are ringing.

It's a bit like going from an old convertible car with a noisy top to a new coupe. Your unconscious tendency is to pick up speed until you reach your usual level of noise and suddenly you realize you're doing 100mph.

Once you get a sub or two, that will add a lot of impact and you'll find you're happy to listen at lower volume levels without giving anything up.

If you're used to turning up the volume until you start to hear distortion, time for a different way to think. Since your new speakers won't be straining or distorting, just turn it up until it sounds realistic, but not so high that your ears are ringing.

It's a bit like going from an old convertible car with a noisy top to a new coupe. Your unconscious tendency is to pick up speed until you reach your usual level of noise and suddenly you realize you're doing 100mph.

Once you get a sub or two, that will add a lot of impact and you'll find you're happy to listen at lower volume levels without giving anything up.

Good annowlogy[Y]

Roger

You are right...I'll need to adjust my way of thinking. :)

I just watched my first movie with some guests over, and realized quickly that the volumes were "crazy" loud. I couldn't keep guests in the room at anywhere close to where I was playing it.

I just watched my first movie with some guests over, and realized quickly that the volumes were "crazy" loud. I couldn't keep guests in the room at anywhere close to where I was playing it.

When watching movies, I generally set the volume so that when the dialogue is normal conversation, it's at a realistic conversational level, not too loud. Then the special effects and other sounds should be as loud as the director intended, not more, not less. With my system, in certain movies, when a character walks in to a loud dance club, it sounds like my living room is now a loud dance club, so I figure the volume is about right. In most cases, scenes like that last only a few minutes at most.

With the dialogue set to realistic levels, if the effects in a given movie are too loud or it's getting later in the evening, you might want to try the Night setting on your receiver if it has one. That will compress the sound, so that there is less variation between soft and loud. That way, when you turn down the volume so the explosions aren't bothering anyone, the vocals will still be loud enough to hear clearly.

Great advice. I seem to always have my HT turned up too loud so when the loud special effects scenes come up I have to turn it down. It just makes sense to have it turned up just enough so the dialogue is at a realistic conversational level. I'll try that. Thanks!

Get a Radio Shack SPL meter and a DVD calibration disk and find Theater Reference level. You will find that (1) Reference level is loud and you might be happy 7 to 10 dB below that, and (2) your system will reach reference level without separate amps.

Have fun! Sounds like a fantastic system to me!

• 1 month later...

I don't remember how much I documented on this thread, but I have been wanting more out of my KL650's since I got them. Pretty sure my receiver (AVR3300) was just not able to perform at the levels I desired. It wasn't so much a "volume" issue, as it is an "authority" and "dynamics" issue. I've calibrated with an SPL and am in fact getting dynamic peaks around 104db. But they just don't happen with the visceral nature I'd like.

I've ordered an Emotiva XPA-5 and it should be here on Monday. I'm hoping this helps out, but am fully aware that it may, in fact, not.

I'll report my findings after a few days of toying around.

• 2 weeks later...

Been running with the Emotiva now for about 2 weeks. Night and Day difference! [:D] I simply could not ask for anything more out of these speakers. The receiver was clearly being tasked beyond its abilities.

Room construction has really come a ways since my last posting as well. All the soffits are now built and the ceiling is sheetrocked! Got all my lights in as well. I'll have to post a new photo when I get a chance to take some.

• Moderators

Room construction has really come a ways since my last posting as well. All the soffits are now built and the ceiling is sheetrocked! Got all my lights in as well. I'll have to post a new photo when I get a chance to take some.

You are such a tease! Why tell us that without photos. Cmon bro...we wanna see! [:D]