Center Channel for my Forte II's

There's an Academy on eBay that's only $225 buy-it-now. Its 'cosmetically challenged' but it would get the job done and since its black it could probably be touched up pretty easily.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Center-Speaker-Academy-Black-23x11x9-5_W0QQitemZ170359576762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item27aa38d8ba&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50

I tried an RC3 center with my Fortes when I first expanded my home music system to HT, and it was horrible; I then tried a KLF-C7, wich sounded terrific in its own right, but still was not a good timbre match (although better than the Reference series).

It wasn't until I nabbed an Academy that it all really came together; do not think that timbre-matching is unimportant. Film soundtracks that blend the mains with the center to produce a realistic soundstage require it. When your center is not matched to the mains, there is an obvious anomaly in the sound when listening to such material.

The best match would, of course, be another Forte II, but that is usually not a realistic approach due to placement difficulties and the simple fact that most speakers are sold as pairs.

I highly recommend against trying anything outside of the Forte-Quartet-Academy series for a center. For me, it was a waste of time and money, and I was not satisfied until I plugged in the Academy.

I would not discount that KLF-C7.

That Tractrix horn (in both the forte II and the C7) sounds a bit different than the exponential horn in both the forte and academy.

I own them all, and once I heard the C7 with my "Extended Heritage" HT ( like Chorus,forte,quartet) I sold my minty academy center and installed the C7 permanently.

Better match, to my ears.

Noah

Hello Monti...if I get your question correctly...the Klipschorn, Belle, LaScala (II), Cornwall (I/2/II/III), Heresy (I/II/III) are considered Heritage...some include the Jubilee as well...the so called extended Heritage are theChorus (I/II), Forte' (I/II) and Quartet...kg/KGs are KGs...(Klipsch Gillum)...our kgs/KGs are two way and most the rest prededing them above are three way (Jubilee is two way)...then there is Synergy, Reference, Legend, ...

Bill

As I recall...the original kg (lower case in my manual) models...then the kg2 and kg4 were more budget friendly models...in 1989, my older brother bought a pair of Heresy IIs...about $800-900 IIRC...I purchased kg2s for about a third of that and the kg4s were a bit more...as for twoway over three...not really sure...the Jubilees are two way and a PWK design...the three ways are all PWK designs...

the extended Heritage models with ports and passives along with the kgs were trying to get the low frequency bass out of smaller and smaller packages...as I recall (and I'm guessing a lot here) speakers were going smaller and to keep up, Klipsch had to as well...Klipsch Synergy Pro, KLF, CF, KSB...all seemed to go the route of thinner and taller than the big boxes...

Hope more chime in here with some history...

Bill

Yea, and those are hard to find around here...a chorus...not a bad idea...thanks

I don't believe you'll like the chorus as a center between Forte's, as the forte's are a little more "laid back" than the Chorus. I have a pair of Chorus's, Forte's, Heresy I's and II's, and an Academy. I've tested them with Lascalla's also.

I believe that the Forte's, Quartet's, Academy and KLF-C7 are a better match, as the Khorn, Belle, Lascalla, Cornwall, Chorus, and Heresy's are a better match together.

Although, I will say that right now I'm using a pair of Forte's as surrounds in a 5.1 and absolutely LOVE it. I only wish now I could find a WAF friendly center to work better than that Academy I have. A Heresy on top of my tv looks stupid, and I haven't been able to find another Chorus to lay on it's side to place the TV on for a all matched mains and center. Maybe some day I'll find a pair of Belle's for mains and move one of the Chorus's to the center duty.