Foam Surround Repair

Hey guys, I've searched the forum but didn't find any info that really related to the problem that I'm having.

I bought a Velodyne VA-1512 from HudsonValleyNoah about six months ago, and just tonight during a bass-heavy listening session, a 2" portion of the foam surround detached from the cone, causing an extremely loud flapping noise. I'm not surprised it happened, the sub was built in 1997 and I was flogging it fairly heavily.

I'm hoping a full surround replacement isn't needed. Anybody have ideas on how best to cheaply and effectively repair it? I can take a picture if it helps, but I figure it's a pretty self-explanatory situation.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the surround has just come undone from the cone, just pick up a small bottle of the polymer glue from parts express...apply to back of surround and front of the cone...keep sepearated for 5 minutes till tacky, then press together, clamp with clothes pins (assuming you take the driver out) Replacing the entire surround is not a horrible task either...never done it on a larger driver, but have done it on 8" ones and they turned out great the first time. Just take time and be patient.

From looking at that picture, I would also add before undertaking to clean away the left over glue on the cone...there could be some foam on there that would not adhere as well...couple scrapes with an xacto knife will do the trick, or if you want to get fancy, a cotton swab with some high % rubbing alcohol and it should peel off. I would also kinda gauge the condition of the rest of the adhesion...if it peels off like it isn't there, you may want to peel and reglue the whole thing, so the other side does not blow out in a month. ACE

Naw... You can repair that surround. Scrap the foam off the cone if it will come. I wouldn't use alcohol since it might dissolve the foam surround. Use a cotton swab to spread the glue or a small flat brush. Press the halves together. Where it is torn you can use some thin foam backed with adhesive to cover the hole this will keep it from tearing.

If you try to use a new off the shelf foam surround chances are the replacement won't fit properly, so you might want to go to the companies warranty center and get a replacement.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give a go at repairing the original before attempting to replace it. I've went ahead and removed the driver from its enclosure. Is weldbond the only thing I should use or would something like gorilla glue or loctite be appropriate as well?

Sorry for all the annoying questions, this is my first attempt at DIY speaker repair.

post-28242-13819487666438_thumb.jpg