picky

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the rebuild picky,

Your post is making me even more anxious to send my, new to me, 299D into the Doctor for it's mid August appointment.
I am sure Craig will work his regular magic on the Scott as well as transplant a big smile onto my face.

I was thinking of the same road trip to pick my amp up after the operation, mind you I am looking at a
few extra hours in the car.
Toronto is about 4 hours to Sarnia/Port Huron, how much further to Craig's new place after crossing over at Port Huron?
The scenery alone look's like it would be worth the drive.

I was thinking of the same road trip to pick my amp up after the operation, mind you I am looking at a
few extra hours in the car.
Toronto is about 4 hours to Sarnia/Port Huron, how much further to Craig's new place after crossing over at Port Huron?
The scenery alone look's like it would be worth the drive.

HPower: From Port Huron, it's about 175 miles (281.6 km) to Craig's, and I would estimate that trip would take about 2 hours, 45 minutes (once you get through customs) given the roads required to get there as not all of them are interstates. Be sure to bring your passport.

Colin: Thanks so much for the good words. I hope you've enjoyed the pictures, too.

Hifi jim: That Scott sounds like a nice one. I bid on a few of those and lost back when I was shopping for an amp on eBay. That's how I wound up with this one, and I think I am pretty satisfied with it. The Scott's sure look a lot better and I am told they may be superior in sound, but you know who opinions can be. Good luck with yours.

fenderbender, Daddy Dee, fini & silversport: Thanks guys. I appreciiate it.

Hey fini: The smoke I was referrig to came from years of the amp being in places where people must have been smoking. I am not certain if Craig still smokes or not. I didn't ask. LOL

Glenn, I knew what you were talking about. I was just having a bit o' fun. I have a Sony amp here that must have been used as a hooka. I think the whole thing needs to be dipped in some industrial solvent...

Picky, Heresy III's in the workshop? Man you are a Klipsch addict! Nice report and pics, glad to hear your amp is fine shape and back home where it belongs.

Stephen: Yes, I am...guilty as charged! Silversport is correct; the H3s were a prize at one of the earlier pilgrimages. Klipsch had entered all of our names into a drawing that hadn't been announced and my name was drawn. I never win anything so this was a great shock to me. We live in a tiny house and our theater is already full of Klipsch Reference gear. I didn't want to turn loose of the new H3s so my big garage was our only option. Some day, I might like to sell them and buy a pair of LSI's (Industrial LaScalas) to take their place on garage duty. That would give me a small PA system that I could take to parties. But until then, we be rockin' in style in the back yard during the warm part of the year!

mark1101: Hey, nice of you to say so. Thanks!

fini: Yeah, that;s what I figured you were doing. LOL Yep, som eof the smoked-up amp can get mighty groadie! YUK!

fini: Yeah, that;s what I figured you were doing. LOL Yep, som eof the smoked-up amp can get mighty groadie! YUK!

<valspeak>

Like! Ewww! Groadie to the max!

</valspeak>

Thank the Good Lord Above that I don't smoke! [+o(]

Anyway, pretty sweet little trip that you had yourself. Some beautiful scenery you guys got up that way. Good to hear you got yourself a nice working amp again for your H3s out in the garage. Sounds like Craig is indeed the goto guy for getting any work done on these little vintage amps. If I come across one, say at a yard sale, for example, I'll most likely will have to send it up to him to get it reworked.

Me, just today I picked up a Denon stereo reciever band-new for my outdoor setup that I am going to put out on my new, still-yet-to-be-built, deck (I am really starting to get pissed at this d[:@]mn contractor that I've hired - will be making some calls from work tomorrow, now that all of this travel is behind my back for now (at least until I have to go to Atlanta, GA in September) - but I digress...)

The EICO's faceplate is now clean and shiny thanks to Craig. Unfortunately, I still have that one bad knob with the missing insert. Other than that, I think it looks great and I hope you think so, too. That's a Sony 5-disc carousel CD player and an old Detrola vacuum tube radio that I use for listening to the Detroit TIgers baseball games in the garage.

Picky, I just bought some extra knobs for my ST-70 and I should have an extra matching knob for you. Send me your address and I'll mail you the one you need.

post-24628-13819488324506_thumb.jpg

A little FYI...These sound better withOUT the cage on for some reason. Definitely a cleaner sound. I don't know if the cage vibrates or what but the sound difference is noticable.

I still need to clean it up. I am going to play it out for a couple of weeks, do some tube rolling on the preamp side, and put the new set of knobs on before I start giving it a good clean up.

Picky, I just bought some extra knobs for my ST-70 and I should have an extra matching knob for you. Send me your address and I'll mail you the one you need.

HarryO: Hey, thanks, Harry! That's really great of you! PM on it's way to you! Let me know how much you'd like for it. Thanks again! -Glenn

HarryO: Hey, thanks, Harry! That's really great of you! PM on it's way to you! Let me know how much you'd like for it. Thanks again! -Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

I took the advice that Craig had given me when I picked my rebuilt amp up from him and ordered a pair of -6 db, in-line, input attenuators to use between the amp's RCA-type, Aux channel inputs and the RCA-type, CD player outputs.

The issue here, as Craig explained it, is that the older amplifiers were designed to run with sources that produce much lower input voltage levels than are produced by today's CD players. The result of this is that the volume control is forced to be set at a much-lower, less-usable range, or the sound would be much too loud. Prior to adding the attenuators, I ran the amp between #2 & #3 on the volume dial (numbered 1-10) while hooked up to my Heresy III's and CD player. With the attentuators in place, I now run it between #4 and #6 and the overall sound is fuller, richer and more highly-detailed, while the volume is about the same as before. What an amazing difference this addition has made. And it was an affordable add-on, too. As Craig had recommened, I ordered them from Parts Express and total cost with shipping was under $30 bucks. Thanks again, Craig for your expertise: You've made a good thing even better! -Glenn