dolby trueHD and DTS master audio

chris86

do you need a receiver that decodes the hd formats to get the sound i thought i read somewhere that the blu ray players this year have onboard decoders and that u dont need the decoders on the receiver i dont know though, if anyone knows lemme know because i was gonna buy a new receiver and if i dont need to im not gonna

You actually have 2 choices, if you have the cash, you can by a receiver that decodes them, then you do everything with a single HDMI cable.

2nd option, is get a player that has 7.1 analog out, and a receiver that has 7.1 analog in. This is the way I went. You need either 6 rca patch cords (5.1) or 8 rca patch cords (7.1). Using this option you still need an HDMI for video only.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

I am in the same boat as you. I just ordered a Sony S360 BD player, on its way, and I got an older Onky receiver which does not have HDMI.

I'll be connecting the Sony BD player via an optical cable to the receiver. Though I won't get HD audio, I'll still get the higher bitrate 5.1 DD and DTS.

And I've read that not many BD disks today TRUELY has 7.1 disreet channels. So I don't think you will be loosing much audio here, at least that's what I hope.

True most are 5.1 not 7.1, but the analog connection allows you to hear the new HD audio formats, I have only had my BD player about a week, and haven't played with it much. I also have a toshiba HD DVD, but it does not have analog outs.

True most are 5.1 not 7.1, but the analog connection allows you to hear the new HD audio formats

Hopefully I'll have the Oppo blueray player soon so will do analog 5.1 to my Denon. It will be interesting to compare the new audio formats to the old ones.

I have a Toshiba HD dvd player so put on a regular dvd and then put on the blueray version and switch back and forth with the audio.

I was going to mention there's a 3rd connection method, but Prof Thump's blog post above mentions it so I'll just point it out in case you missed it. You can use an HDMI 1.1 or 1.2-capable receiver to receive a Multichannel PCM signal from the BD player (if it passes MPCM) and play the HD-audio formats. Since those versions of HDMI are a bit older, you can likely find a great deal on a used receiver to do this.

I am in the same boat as you. I just ordered a Sony S360 BD player, on its way, and I got an older Onky receiver which does not have HDMI.

I'll be connecting the Sony BD player via an optical cable to the receiver. Though I won't get HD audio, I'll still get the higher bitrate 5.1 DD and DTS.

And I've read that not many BD disks today TRUELY has 7.1 disreet channels. So I don't think you will be loosing much audio here, at least that's what I hope.

Blu-Ray isn't just about 7.1 versus 5.1. The lossless audio formats present a significant step up in overall sound realism and dynamics.

If your Onkyo receiver has 5.1 pre-amp inputs and your Sony has 5.1 or 7.1 pre-amp outputs you can connect the two using those inputs/outputs and also get the current HD audio formats.

From P. Thump blog:

2. Your high-def TV and high-def DVD player have HDMI; your AV receiver doesn’t.

Use a HDMI connection between TV and player, for full high-definition video. Then, use a coaxial digital audio connection between player and receiver. Remember: because movies and music with DTS-HD encoded content contain a DTS Digital Surround “core”, your older receiver will play back DTS-HD material with DTS surround audio at twice the data rate of other DVD video surround formats. So, you’re still going to get higher quality sound than you’re used to hearing."

I thik I can make do with that.

You actually have 2 choices, if you have the cash, you can by a receiver that decodes them, then you do everything with a single HDMI cable.

2nd option, is get a player that has 7.1 analog out, and a receiver that has 7.1 analog in. This is the way I went. You need either 6 rca patch cords (5.1) or 8 rca patch cords (7.1). Using this option you still need an HDMI for video only.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

Third option, as dougdrake said, decode the HD codecs internally to the BR player and pass the sound via HDMI as PCM to a HDMI-capable receiver that doesn't know how to decode the HD codecs itself. Eight analog connections not required.

So there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the old DD Ex 5.1 versus Dolby HD 5.1?

If that's the case, then my understanding had been incorrect.

In my experience, yes.

Same here. HD codecs sound more natural and sound tracks appear to be less compressed (I am getting more dynamic range now).

I agree. The lossless codecs create an enveloping feel that is very natural. You pick up more detail and feel as though you are in the scene. I also find that the big bang scenes in movies are not as boomy. They seem much more natural and believable. I have really enjoyed the HD codecs.

Everything is more detailed...

• No compression
  • More channels in the rear
  • Bass is well defined

You can't go wrong with TrueHD and DTS 7.1 if you have the wallet, room and commonsense to set it up correctly. The only other critical things are WAF issues and the recording engineers master mix. If they knew what they were doing, and the don't always, the sound should be more detail for imaging than with 5.1.

I am not a technial whiz when it comes to disecting terms. My sony receiver DA4300 was the one under the flagship last year. All inputs/outputs are high end HDMI cables running through the receiver to the Sony 550 BR and my 2006 Panny 50 " plasma. I have outboards running all 7 heritage speakers.It sounds ridiculious. I have a "standard 7.1 speaker placment as listed in the blog
I am intimidated by ther terms "True and Master" refering to HD and DTS. The thing that I never can under stand is that the Eagles- Hell freezes over- is still the best souinding DVD on my system which is several- several- years old. Is this a "master DTS recording" ?? How do I know that I am getting"true" HD Dolby.???? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I can't listen to some of Hell freezes over. On the DTS track of Hotel California, I hear distinct and annoying pops! Ruins it for me.

Blu Ray concert disks can be much better than that DVD, as it pretty much any hi-res movie sound track. Something must be switched off in your setup.