Hurricane season is fast approaching

Dflip

The latest on Bill. It seems to be heading into the north Atlantic with Bermuda being a possible target. So far so good for the U.S. Just remember, it's still early and it's course could change. Another interesting site, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtml. Go to the METEOSAT-8 satellite and choose water vapour loop, you will be able to see potential hurricanes forming up over western Africa. You may have to slow down the loop speed to properly view it.

post-6396-13819489052674_thumb.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays forecast has Ana becoming less powerful, less than 39 mph winds. Bill continues to head to the north towards Bermuda and at that point it will be just under hurricane strength. Good news so far, but just remember, we are now in hurricane month, mid August to mid September. The west coast of Africa is now showing a lot of disorganization, but a new cell starts every couple of days.

Saw a very interesting show on the Discovery Channel last Sunday about hurricanes. Having grown up (mostly) on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and having ridden-out hurricane Camille and having parents that stayed during Katrina, I'm more than a bit familiar with the destruction/aftermath portion of a hurricane. So it was the part of the show that dealt with the causation/formation of hurricanes that interested me the most. In simple terms, the hot winds from the Sahara Desert alone cannot create a hurricane for it cannot form without the interaction between the winds and the islands that lie just off the coast of Africa. Truly an amazing climate phenomena (sp?).

Just think - we could just level some of those islands and POOF!! No more hurricanes. Seems to me a cost comparison between the loss due to destruction would out-weigh the nucs to re-arrange the terrain.

Tom

• Moderators

Dtel, you should have built those beautiful oak MWM cabinets out of marine plywood.

Never thought of that. Groomlake told me about those giant contractor garbage bags to cover speakers, so when we left I had all my speakers in bags tied off at the top with another bag from the other direction with duct tape holding both bags together, just in case we lost the roof and it would rain in.

But even if they made bags big enough I could probably not put the MWM bins in them. So, I have pic's because I know the insurance company would not believe me if I tried to explain them. Or maby I will just put two together and climb in with some pillows ?

• Moderators

Just think - we could just level some of those islands and POOF!! No more hurricanes. Seems to me a cost comparison between the loss due to destruction would out-weigh the nucs to re-arrange the terrain.

Tom

Now Tom you are talking about the Gobrment, that is way to simple of a solution, we should do a 862 Million $ study first, then do nothing, not that makes sense. [Y]

Yes, Bill is a Cat 4 hurricane at the moment. The most important thing to look at is it's path. It avoids the leeward islands and misses Bermuda. The only places that need to be worried are Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, both in Canada. It will still be a significant storm when it hits this area. As with all hurricanes, it's what where they track and do they hit a major populated area or not. Included is the most recent tracking forecast for Bill.

post-6396-1381949869576_thumb.gif

Bill is now a category 3 hurricane (120 mph), but the winds look like they will hit both Nova Scotia and Newfoundland stronger than originally forecast. As for the U.S., some waves on the coast, particularly Long Island, but no direct hits.

• Moderators

Ok, so Dan is kicking around down there, and looks like it'll hit some of Canada, what "C" name did I miss?

Claudett, if thats how they spelled it? It was the depression that went in at Panama city Fla last week.

If we could get through September we have it made, that and Aug is the peak for the Gulf coast.

Thanks dtel, from time to time I talk to people from Florida up here and we talk about how they come up here at this time of year to get away from the humidity and hurricanes that come in. They think about their home down there but are happy to be at their cottage up here.

Hurricane Dan looks like it will be off the coast of the North Carolina barrier islands and close to Long Island and hit Nova Scotia again. Usually Nova Scotia counts hurricanes by the years, almost a decade between them. Now they are going to have two within a week.

post-6396-13819498981838_thumb.gif

Danny will intensify a bit, but is still scheduled to miss the east coast of the U.S. It looks like it will reach hurricane status when it's off the coast of New Jersey. I'm sure the areas will receive higher winds and tides, but not a direct hit. The next storm is already forming off the coast of Africa. It's approaching Labour Day weekend which seems to be a favourite time for a more intense hurricane. I suspect we will see a couple more storms forming up over the next two to three weeks. Hopefully they stay disorganized and head out towards the North Atlantic, just like Bill.

post-6396-13819498982208_thumb.gif

http://www.stormpulse.com/ has an interesting visual view of Danny and it's path. It's projected path has moved slightly further out to sea along the U.S. coast, about 150 miles off shore and will now hit the south side of the Bay of Fundy. If the path continues to go a bit more out to sea, then Nova Scotia may receive less impact. I don't image the people want to lose their power twice in one week. The other system is a bit better organized and taking a lower path which puts the Caribbean and maybe even the Gulf into the mix. It's worth tracking to see if it intensifies after the weekend and where it's headed.