Banana Plugs

link

Can anyone help me with the best to purchase. I see on Ebay that Nakamichi is a popular brand yet, when I go to their website their is no mention of them even making banana plugs..........

I like Monster Cable but even on their website, they don't have any singular banana plugs. I don't care for the kind that crimp the wires at the end of the plugs.

Has anybody noticed that trying to purchase things like banana plugs at a store other than Best Buy is getting obsolete.......?

Thanks for any assistance.

• Like 1

If your binding posts are spaced standard width I'd recommend these. They eliminate possibility of touching leads and shorting the amp. Of course, one is supposed to power down the amp first before connecting speakers, but the best of us forget sometimes. Also, I stay away from big metal barrel banana plugs for the same reason. There are awesome looking connectors in catalogs that work very poorly in practice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2945&seq=1&format=2

post-11993-1381949866149_thumb.jpg

You know, a good audio connector has yet to be invented. Now that I'm retired maybe I can come up with one..............

Thanx, Russ

Hey, Amy, want to contract a little engineering project? I never designed a 5,000 dollar toilet seat but don't ask what my aircraft coax connectors cost!

"You know, a good audio connector has yet to be invented. Now that I'm retired maybe I can come up with one.............."

Amen.

While you are at it, please come up with Home Theater connectors better than those HDMI things! And get rid of RCA plugs! And let's put an end to wire nuts in lighting, etc.

90% serious!

You might want to try the Generation II locking banana plugs from GLS Audio. http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=locking

I just bought a dozen of them for my test bench them and they work great. Unlike many of the other banana plugs on the market, the GLS will accept #10 wire. Note that the GLS lock themselves to the mating connector making for a secure connection.

A 10-pack on eBay sells for $ 3.19 each with free shipping.

Lee

Garyrc,

I think the balanced connector is replacing the RCA plug, so I'll consider that one solved and I think we are stuck with HDMI for a little while. The wire nut seems to be easy enough to use if you have the right size, I'm not sure I could make any thing easier than that. Binding posts and bananas still need some major improvement, something more universal and clicks into place.........

Thanx, Russ

• Moderators

Wuzzer, thanks for the link as well! This site seems pretty legit.

I have used them also, it's also one of the cheapest places to get plain old 14 or 12ga oxygen free speaker wire also, half the price per 100' compared to my local prices.

You might want to try the Generation II locking banana plugs from GLS Audio. http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=locking

I just bought a dozen of them for my test bench them and they work great. Unlike many of the other banana plugs on the market, the GLS will accept #10 wire. Note that the GLS lock themselves to the mating connector making for a secure connection.

A 10-pack on eBay sells for $ 3.19 each with free shipping.

Lee

DANGER- all metal long barrels can come into contact with each other and cause dead shorts, particularly when used in the tight space in back of a receiver. I bought some of these at one time and ended up putting heat shrink tubing around them to avoid this.

DANGER- all metal long barrels can come into contact with each other and cause dead shorts, particularly when used in the tight space in back of a receiver. I bought some of these at one time and ended up putting heat shrink tubing around them to avoid this.

Unless they have a huge diameter it shouldn't be a big problem. Obviously metal to metal running a current touching causes a short, but the chance of it happening if they are securely fastened to the jacks is minimal. Or you get daily earthquakes that rattle the connectors loose lol

Unless they have a huge diameter it shouldn't be a big problem. Obviously metal to metal running a current touching causes a short, but the chance of it happening if they are securely fastened to the jacks is minimal. Or you get daily earthquakes that rattle the connectors loose lol

WRONGO- these connectors are very long and the banana inserts somewhat flexible. Something as simple as a strong tug on the wires can cause them to come into contact in standard dual banana configuration- I repeat DANGER

GEEZ..... like I don't have enough things that need doing. I just reached behind a speaker and without too much effort I was able to touch them together. Now I have to find a bunch of heat shrink.

Can I buy red heat shrink? or do you just do one side?

WRONGO- these connectors are very long and the banana inserts somewhat flexible. Something as simple as a strong tug on the wires can cause them to come into contact in standard dual banana configuration- I repeat DANGER

So you have people in your house that go around pulling on speaker wire and knocking your equipment around? Odd...

So you have people in your house that go around pulling on speaker wire and knocking your equipment around?

Anything can happen when chasing a banned cat out of the music room -- hopefully before she sharpens her claws on a speaker, bats a pulsing subwoofer, runs over the power amps, or hangs by the cables!