Greek audiophiles again

seti

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it!Need to show this to the wife. I am not as crazy as some.....

Those Tannoys are beautiful speakers...hardly any 3D imaging but absolutely beautuful tones.....

So you have heard the Westminsters? My preference is solely based on asthetics and brand. I'm trying to find a pair to listen to as the design is beautiful. Tannoy was very loyal to their founder and have released most of his final designs with great success.

There are two versions of the Tannoy Westminsters,,, The TW,, and the Royal,,, The TW has the "Tulip" High frequency driver unit,,And the slightly larger ROYAL has what is called the Pepper Pot high frequency horn driver,,, Both Westminster speakers Do Image nicely... Also both speakers are Two Way crossing at 1000hz. and spec out up to 20k hz,,,Bass is very powerfull,, The bass horn goes lower than the Jubilee.

Great music at 13:00

What, no comment on their overpriced, useless, high end cables? [:o] [:D] I saw nary a strand of zip cord in that entire video! [;)] And how about 50% of your sound comes from clean electricity?... Cables, clean electricity... what nonsense! [:D]

Great music at 13:00

What, no comment on their overpriced, useless, high end cables? SurpriseBig Smile I saw nary a strand of zip cord in that entire video! Wink And how about 50% of your sound comes from clean electricity?... Cables, clean electricity... what nonsense! Big Smile

Wrong thread.

P.S. Of course it's nonsense. So what? That wasn't the topic here.

Maron:

I have listened to Tannoy Churchills and Westministers on many occassions. The Westminsters (I believe they were royals) were driven by Music Reference tube monoblocks and RM9 preamp with Esoteric digital front end. They produce a big, warm and powerful sound that I absolutely love. My wife and her sister were completely enamour by the sound - not a easy task (typically they don't give a hoot). My sister in law asked "how much does sound like this costs" that is alot coming from a total non-audiophile - she noticed the difference enough to inquire about the premium required.

I did not want to imply they had no imaging. What I meant was for the price, I expect near perfection. I have heard speakers that easily best them in their ability to reproduce a floating 3D image for a lot less money. In terms of tonality, I don't believe I have heard better. If I had the money and space they will be on by short list for sure.

Jubilees are cheap compare to these. Even the "small" Churchills are more expensive than the Jubs.

KWING,,, Yes The Jubilees are cheap by comparason,,, And look cheap,,sorry to say,,and are far from near perfection... I too have heard Different versions of the Westminsters Royal,,, The units had different woofer designs,, Hard edge surrounds,, Soft edge foam surrounds,,Back to hard edge plus new curveliner woofer shapes... Different xover conceps slopes and HF shelving designs... The high frequency units have also gone through several changes...They have been around for quite some time,, I was dissapointed with the Churchill,, Although the Speaker concept is almost the same as the Westminster,,But in a bass reflex cabinet,, The last time I asked they (Westminsters) were about $ 36,000... Probably alot higher now,,, No they are not perfect,,But none really are,,, The JBL Everest II at over twice this price,,$61,000,,, Has some deep pocket followers.,,..I could fly to most of the best auditoriums and orchestras and hear the real thing for a year,, and have change left over..

I have heard the 2 way and the 3 way units,, plus the martinelli top configuration,,Plus the Accuphase DF-45 digital xover,,wich i believe is a better xover network.. Looking at the Jube as now constructed,,Seems like a skellitel framework that could need a good cabinet designer,,to make it more civalized in home enviroment,, Like the Tannoys,,,Yes I allways loved the looks of the Tannoys,,I can see the Jubes cabinets designed that way. The frame work of the Jubes i call the warthog approach.. I have a pair of TAD drivers,,among others. Brush Wellman the designer and manufacture of Beryllium diaphrams for JBL,, Will be making Be phrams for other drivers,,,4" ,,3',,and 1 3/4" for other drivers.. The release date is a couple of months away. This can open up better sonics for the rest of scratch builders ot there. Its a darn site cheaper than paying $1500 to 2500 for a driver. We can improve alot of KLUNKERS out there.

Looking at the Jube as now constructed,,Seems like a skellitel framework that could need a good cabinet designer,,to make it more civalized in home enviroment,, Like the Tannoys,,,Yes I allways loved the looks of the Tannoys,,I can see the Jubes cabinets designed that way.

Keep in mind that the Jubilee is a commercial speaker that comes in theatre black and is meant to sit behind a screen, out of sight. If it was styled to look like a high-end home speaker, the price would be much higher, maybe even double, so it wouldn't be the bargain it is today.

Several owners have dressed up their Jubilees to their own taste, with great results, while others like the industrial look. The sound is great in either case. The sound seems to be a higher priority than the looks for Jubilee buyers, or they'd have chosen more pretty speakers and paid the premium. The thing is, it's hard to get from another manufacturer what the Jubilee brings to the table, witthout spending a lot more money, and even then the sound might not be the flavour that a Jubilee buyer likes.