Overkill?

NSP-Biker

I'm building my first real theater. I already have a pair of RF-63s and a pair of CDT-5650C, to be powered by a Sunfire TGA-7400 amp. My room is small-ish, the theater side anyway. Seating is about 15' from the screen. The screen wall is 17' wide and the entire room is 38' deep with sloped ceilings (peaked, with the rears on the opposite slope angled toward the listener). Only half the room is used for the theater. I don't have surrounds or center yet, though was thinking about using an RC-62 center and RS-62s for the surrounds. My concern is that with this relatively small seating space (17w x 15d) I may be spending needless money vs. using smaller surrounds, center and maybe even replacing the RF63's. And then having 400 wpc available?? Opinion? It seems thought that so many opinions are that bigger is better, but I want my hearing to last at least until I'm dead, if not longer! Oh, and ignore the sig line that's more of a "wish list" until I'm done!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Wuzzer is correct, the RC-64 is a much better speaker than the RC-62. I agree that money should be spent in the center and you can but back on the rears by using the RS-52 or RS-42.

My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings and the RF-83's are not overkill.

Wuzzer and Youthman have given you some very "sound" advice. I agree that for the most benefit go with a very high quality center and skimp on the surrounds. The larger speakers are often times more for clarity than just sound volume. I would try to find a bargain RC-64 and then most any of the klipsch surround speakers (within reason) would do. As long as you can balance the sound levels (through Audyssey or a sound meter) I think you will be happy as the front three are by far the most important and most used speakers.

I noticed in your signature line that you have "Four effects transducers w/RBH SA400 amp". I assume these are the LFE "buttkicker style" rumblers. I am curious which ones you have and if you like them.

• Moderators

Wuzzer is correct, the RC-64 is a much better speaker than the RC-64.????Hmm lol

Just bustin chops youthman

[:D] Oops. After reading your quote, I still didn't catch my error. [:P] I've corrected my original post to say that the RC-64 is a much better speaker than the RC-62. Thx for catching that.

My original thought was to match all the cones, for consistency of timbre. Perhaps that's not as big a factor for the effects channels, and I'm sure the crossovers are the same or similar (?). The specified differences between RS-42, 52 and 62 don't appear to be too dramatic, mostly power and low freq capability.

On the centers, why is "bigger = better" as opined here? Perhaps if room-filling-volume is important, which it is, but given the limited space I'm using I don't understand why 4 woofers will be better than 2 woofers when my ears will ultimately be only about 13' from the speaker.

One of the big draws for me with Klipsch is the effeciency of the speakers. I've helped others set up whole-house systems and casual listening areas and a positive feature is the flexibility in choosing amplification (lower power "needs", less expensive amps).

I like the concept of effectively using the RS-42, from an economic standpoint, about half the 62. The same goes for the RC's.

The center speaker in a home theater setup produces well over 60% of the dialogue and sound. The RC-64 will give you much more detailed, dynamic, open and natural sound. There have been several RC-64s on eBay recently around $500. That is a lot of speaker for the money.

''' On the centers, why is "bigger = better" as opined here? Perhaps if room-filling-volume is important, which it is, but given the limited space I'm using I don't understand why 4 woofers will be better than 2 woofers when my ears will ultimately be only about 13' from the speaker.

It is because the RC-64 was voice matched to the RF-63 Mains and as others have said you want to have matching sonic quality in your front 3 speakers ESPECIALLY since so much information is generated from your Center Channel. I sit 9.5 ft from my Center channel and my Front soundstage is seamless and you can't get that from a lower quality center channel because size does matter when it comes to speaker matching.