jub center channel

ssctrojan1980

jc... how do you think a triple cabinet would sound?... also i am interested in building a center channel cabinet that is not stacked like the jub but like a jub cut in half and set side by side. This center channel could be like a big piece of an intertainment center that your tv would set on but underneath the tv is a couple of hard hitting 12's

would the lascala be too tall for a tv stand though?.... how tall are they?. I might try to sketch a drawing out and put it on here. If jwc could put his on drawing on here i would love to see it. i know i could cut the jub in half and stack it side by side. but the trick is to build it all 1 piece and no one would know that it was a speaker.

I don't know exact dimensions but the bass bin of a LaScala is essentially 2x2x2 (give or take some adjustments)

I'm not talking about a full LaScala so the entire top section could be lopped off which would lower the height.

I sure don't know enough about this stuff to talk sense, I just like the idea of a LaScala (Jubescala) between my Jubilees but have the stand issue to think about. This is why I was thinking on going with the smaller horn and trying to fit it in between the two halves. I presume that a single laScala would probably suffice for my real needs... just rip out the upper horns and replace the K400 with a K510

My wife will confirm to you that I usually have 53,509,271 bad ideas to every good one...

[:^)]

Do you have a size restriction?

What kinda shape are you looking at? Rectangle box say 30 w x 24 d x ~26 H? How would you incorporate the HF section with a TV on top?

The triple 12 is a beast. I have it on paper. Can't get through a single door though. Doesn't necessarily have to be K31's either.

jc

I would be interested in seeing the triple woofer bass bin. I could only imagine the kind of output you could get from that sort of a monster. It seems JCs mind is always coming up with new creations. I am also inrigued by the center channel idea. That would be an awesome center channel. Interesting thinking indeed ssctrojan. I do think that this thread should NOT have been entitled jub knockoff argument. The previous thread was locked for a reason.. We should do our best to keep the discussion away from that to prevent this thread being locked. Instead make this thread about these other two topics, the triple driver bass bin and the center channel concept.

Daniel

Just use a full size jub thingy and an acoustically transparent projection screen.

2 LS would be really easy to build and use as a center.

You could get a nice slab of hardwood to put on top and make some grilles and nice feet and end up with something kind of looking like an old radio console.

The old radio console from hell.

Here is the center bass bin I scratched up last year or two years ago....can't remember.

About 25" wide x 26.5" tall x 20" deep.

80Hz horn 1/4 space with two 12" woofers.

There is another version that has one 12" woofer and has a place to put a top horn in the middle. That one has a little compromise to it but would look cool.

jc

post-16499-13819499268686_thumb.jpg

yes......you would have ~2 ohms at certain frequencies. Not for the weak hearted amps.

That triple doohicky is a 33Hz 1/8 space horn (jub is 38Hz). Ext dimensions.......about 48" wide, 30" deep, and 41.5" total height. The attempt was to smoke an MWM (40Hz 1/2 space) in the home with a smaller footprint. Impedance similar to MWM.

jc

The diagram I posted is a smaller bass bin cabinet used for a center. 2 12" woofers. 15" wouldn't fit. 15" woofers won't fit in my triple 12" cabinet either. 15" won't fit in a jubelike bin either. If you modify the bass bin to accomidate the 15"....that will change the flares significantly and would require a new design.

I understand your drawing......so your looking at a width of greater than 80"?

jc