OT: Has anyone else had this (swine?) 'flu thing? Get your shots please.

WMcD

The reason I ask is that in years past I might get "something" like seasonal colds or 'flu . . . but then could recover in four or five days without seeing a doctor and missing much work. I really, actually thought that getting really sick was for somone else.

In mid-September some 'flu like thing hit me (at least one report says that most people with 'flu these days do have swine 'flu rather than seasonal 'flu) and even with doctors care, inhaler, and lots of medicine I couldn't do a thing but sleep and cough for two weeks. I'm just now coming back on line.

My suggestion is that if you can get shots for seasonal 'flu, please do so. I understand there are some priorities for swine 'flu shots when they become available in a few weeks. When you can, this is probably worthwhile. This 'flu is serious business.

Best,

Wm McD

since i have chronic asthma, i always get a flu shot. got mine last week, and i will also get a swine flu shot too. by the grace of God, i've only had one minor cold in the past eight years. i do admit, i pretty much a germaphobe and avoid sick co-workers and wash my hands. one co-worker told me that "it's good to get sick once in a while, it helps keep your immune system strong." i told him that i've been sick once in the past eight years, so i think my immune system is strong enough.

i'm glad that you are on the road to recovery.

• Moderators

Glad to hear you doing a little better, I started with something Sunday night and still have it, I thought I was getting better but it was just moving from my sinuses and breaking up, this part is worse with the coughing. I hope it's almost over, I have never had a flu shot and never had a problem, but I seem to have more things like this the older I get ! [O]

I've had it, just now getting over it.

I've had much worse (68 Hong Kong flu).

The swine flu is predicted to peak in the next two weeks, so it's really too late for most people to benefit from the vaccine (it must be received two weeks prior to exposure).

39% of one of the vaccine test groups in Australia already had antigens for it (meaning that they had already had it).

Hope this swine flu vaccine doesn't kill and maim as many people as the 1976 swine flu vaccine did.

FluView, Week Ending September 19, 2009. Weekly Influenza Surveillance Report Prepared by the Influenza Division. Weekly Influenza Activity Estimate Reported by State and Territorial Epidemiologists. Select this link for more detailed data.

Influenza can be a killer, as bad or worse than the plagues. It is a matter of immunity to the virus. If you have some your body can manage to survive it. If you have none and the virus happens to be especially virulent it can take you out. The influenza pandemic that occurred around WW1 was horrific. It was a perfect storm with large populations being moved around the world, no prior exposure to the bug and a really mean organism. Healthy adults were dead within 24 hours after showing their 1st symptoms. Up to 30 million died. H1N1 is supposed to be worst in children and young adults. It is very contagious. The elderly with chronic health issues will also be impacted severely should they become infected. Still, so far, H1N1 has not been as virulent as predicted. But, if I worked or lived in a densely populated environment I'd get vaccinated for certain. If it gets started in a classroom it will probably infect everyone not immune to it.

Guest davidness

I had it a month ago after traveling to Southern California. I still have a cough. The H1N1 lasted about 5-6 days. Light-Moderate. Doctor gave me Tamaflu, Tylenol, and Musinex. The cough has lasted a month, although getting better.

I've had it, just now getting over it.

I've had much worse (68 Hong Kong flu).

I think I had that! I spent my whole Christmas vacation shivering in front of the fire. Hurt, ached. I haven't had the flu since, though.