Sub to match KHorns & Heresy

Oblio

Current setup is KHorns for LR, Heresy center/surround, el cheapo RCA 8" powered sub from the electronic junk drawer. I hope to go to Belle or La Scala for center (maybe rears) someday but for now am planning to use Heresy. While the current setup sounds OK, I notice the bass is WAY better running in stereo which makes sense since that routes the bass to the KHorns. My question is what sub to use to match the KHorns/Heresy HT speaker setup. Not worried about price (within reason).

The RSW-15 seems a bit rare, I noticed that the Hsu ULS-15 is on sale for $1099 (200 off) +60 S/H for Halloween. Also the VTF-3 Mk for $629 (70 off) +100 S/H. I wasn't sure if the VTF-3 would be enough, especially if I go to larger Heritage later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a brand new RSW-15 and have found it to be a great match to my Khorns. I previously have used an SVS 20-39 pc+. Although the RSW-15 is great with music and the Khorns, I have found it cannot keep up with the SVS when it comes to movie sound effects. So.....it will be a challange to pick the right sub for your application.

I just ordered the new Danley DST-10 Tapped Horn subwoofer. It's only available until probably around Christmas as a kit and then will be sold as a finished product. There is a huge thread on another forum where I learned about it. Is it okay to post a link here? If so I will.

It only uses 2 12" drivers but is in a very large cabinet - aprox 60" x 45" x 16" and weighs about 250#. It apparently puts out a LOT of very clean bass, down to about 11 hertz. I have been searching for a good sub (or 2 or 3) for a long time to keep up with my Khorns. I am really excited to finally find one and at the kit price of $975 it seems like an incredible bargain!

Rod

I just ordered the new Danley DST-10 Tapped Horn subwoofer. It's only available until probably around Christmas as a kit and then will be sold as a finished product. There is a huge thread on another forum where I learned about it. Is it okay to post a link here? If so I will.

It only uses 2 12" drivers but is in a very large cabinet - aprox 60" x 45" x 16" and weighs about 250#. It apparently puts out a LOT of very clean bass, down to about 11 hertz. I have been searching for a good sub (or 2 or 3) for a long time to keep up with my Khorns. I am really excited to finally find one and at the kit price of $975 it seems like an incredible bargain!

Rod

Thanks [:)]

Been lurking over there mostly and have follwed the thread since page 3 or 4 [8-|] My username is rcwilcox, thinking about picking up one my myself, especially since I can do a local pickup.

Rod

Rod: Let us know how it sounds with the Khorns ASAP. Very interesting discussion on that sub over there in that other forum.

I will post here and there as soon as I get it going and tuned in. Unfortunately it's going to be awhile. Shipping probably wont be until the end of the month, then it will probably take at least 2-3 weeks to go thru Customs and get here. Then I need to assemble it and do a fair bit of set-up. With the Holiday Season upon us and my need to finish our kitchen reno before Christmas, I'm not sure when I'll have a report.

So I think we need to convince Oblio to just drive over and pick one up!

Rod

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I followed the LAB horn project, the Danley Sub is what it is, a kit. If you have the time then, yes, get it and build it. I am the guy who wants the company to do all the hard work of testing and evaluation, knowing that there hard earned profits depend on producing results. Should Danely produce an internet direct sales with full support, and postive feedback follows, then it would be a worthy contender for all of us "consumers".

so to not sound like a total nay-sayer.. Other than the Danley DTS and other "Do it yourself" ideas.. What else is out there?

I unintentionally posted this thread, not realizing this sub forum was here.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/127347/1288287.aspx#1288287

but in that thread I feel that these are some of the top contenders in Internet Direct and Brick and Mortar Sales..

Your thoughts?

-Bill

• Moderators

I would think a Tapped Horn subwoofer would be the best sound for a Khorn, both folded horns would tend to give the same type of sound.

I have heard one of there smaller designs, dual 8'' in a tapped design and it has a very nice sound, clean and deep with more volume than my last sub which was a 12" driver in a 5 cf ported cabinet.

so to not sound like a total nay-sayer.. Other than the Danley DTS and other "Do it yourself" ideas.. What else is out there?

I believe the DTS-10 will be factory only in a short time (rumor is after beginning of the year), they also have the DTS-20 and the TH-SPUD that are factory built. Of course the cost is much more than DIY.

I have looked at eD and I am just amazed at their products. They are even clever enough to Blog about all there gear. To top all that off they sell one MASSIVE subwoofer that has got the top spot on CraigsSub list. I am not sure of the link, but hit up avsforum or google it. (hey found it, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150)

I do believe the DTS-10, 20 or TH SPUD would be awesome, and that is great that they are starting to build commercial series.. It helps out with "consumers" like me who are either working or spending time with the family.. hehe that's stab at the rat race.. anyways back on topic. I'd like to make this thread more about choices, since there is never an absolute. I think to start it would be fair enough to start with Klipsch's own RT-12d and work all they way to A7-900 http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=606

The short list so far

eD A7S-450 all the way to A7-900

JL Audio, F112, F113, F212, and G 213

Paradigm Signature Sub 25, Paradigm Servo 15

SVS PC/PB 13 Ultra

Velodyne DD-15. DD-18, DD1812

Seaton Sound Submersive

Epik Conquest, Dragon, Dynasty

What else? -Bill

This afternoon I fired up our DTS-10. What a combination with our 51 year old Khorns! I have long wanted a subwoofer, but never dreamed that it would be horn loaded. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement.

If the Danley isn't suitable for whatever reason another company to look at is Tweak City Audio. It is owned by Craigsub (Craig Chase) who did the great job with all the sub tests. He is developing a new line of subs that look like excellent performers at value prices. They also have a very good and fun forum.

Rod

small request, can you post pictures of your set-up and the DTS-10?

For consumers size is always the issue, and as big as they are, K-horns slide into corners and really are out of the way. There is a need, and a place in today's market for them, and I am in awe that the design carries so well XX many years later.

I spent a good deal of time reading about Tweak City Audio's and Seaton Sound's offerings.. Moreover, I think I have gone "the back nine" with all Top performing subwoofers, as far as research, reviews, user and anecdotal opinons. To complete my game or journey, I need pictures and most of all to listen to these.

The solution is to track down users and "invite" myself over or find a get together where subs are being auditioned, to that extent its simply generating the ideas and searching the interweb and all it's many audio forums.

-Bill

small request, can you post pictures of your set-up and the DTS-10?

For consumers size is always the issue, and as big as they are, K-horns slide into corners and really are out of the way. There is a need, and a place in today's market for them, and I am in awe that the design carries so well XX many years later.

I spent a good deal of time reading about Tweak City Audio's and Seaton Sound's offerings.. Moreover, I think I have gone "the back nine" with all Top performing subwoofers, as far as research, reviews, user and anecdotal opinons. To complete my game or journey, I need pictures and most of all to listen to these.

The solution is to track down users and "invite" myself over or find a get together where subs are being auditioned, to that extent its simply generating the ideas and searching the interweb and all it's many audio forums.

-Bill

Our good Cannon digitil camera just died and it will be Christmas before my wife gets a new one. So sorry but can't get you any pictures now.

The Danley is big though! It's the first speaker I've seen that makes the Klipschorns look small. And you are right, the way the Khorns fit in a corner helps to disguise their size.

Keep in mind they designed it primarily for home theater use. With it's 16" depth it can fit behind a screen or be used as a riser. In our case it probably wont be used either way. But our room is primarily dedicated for music, and will later also be a home theater. So we are willing to contend with it's size for the incredible performance it gives.

Rod

PS You are welcome to come for a listen (& look), but since we are 100 mile north of Vancouver, BC it would be quite a trip.