Transformers 2 on Blu-Ray Distortion

searayrunner

We sat down as a family last night to watch the new Transformers 2 movie on Blu-ray. It ended being an audio workout for my system at some points. A few times I thought I heard a fluttering like sound of distortion coming from my mains. Did anyone else notice this? Its a bass heavy movie to say the least. I know the first one had a few spots with less then par souund and was hoping thats what I heard.

I guess I feel I am not one who cranks it up but maybe I am. I set the volume on my Denon -27 and most speakers are +1 at the most as well as flat bass and treble settings. Is this to much? When we demoed at the dealer he set it at -3 for the moive CARS and that was way to loud for me.

Sorry for the rambling....

Sounds like the bass is overwhelming the small drivers in your mains, are they set at 80Hz (set to small) and above or running full range (set to large).

I watched it last night on Blu-Ray and got pounded into submission and things were whirring all around I sensed no distortion at all and I'm running all full range on all speakers with 200W x 7.

With a crossover point of 100Hz with a 12db slope your still dropping to 88Hz and if those are only 6.5" woofers they could easily be overloaded since the majority of the content would be in the 60-80Hz range. I assume the noise was only for short durations during heavy bass sequences of which there were quite a few.

slope? I guess I never really understood how that worked. They are 8" wooferes but still the same I would guess. The distortion we heard was not in the bass heavy area's but when the over all sound depth was heavy/complex. I am going to watch it again tonight and get a description of the 2 parts I heard it in. My wife didnt notice either time but she doesnt catch much of that stuff.

Try and find the scene/exact time when you hear it. I have the disc from NetFlix and will keep an ear out for what your're describing.

Do you have any kind of automatic setup on your receiver? If you have the speakers at +1 for their level outputs that's probably way too high. A receiver's level output controls are there to balance out each speaker in your setup, not to raise the overall volume output that your receiver will give them. Klipsch are super efficient and they don't need any artificial boost in output by your receiver.

If your receiver doesn't have an automatic setup to balance speaker outputs, try and reducing each level to -2 or so, definitely below 0. You'll have to turn the volume up to achieve the same SPL levels but it just might help eliminate the disrtortion you're hearing

If your receiver does have an automatic speaker level setup, run that and let it balance the speakers. My receiver has Audyssey and I rely on it for speaker distance and level matching but I don't use its EQ settings, I run everything flat also.

Also, set your front speakers to small. You don't want to run them as full range, as they really never were intended to unless you don't have a subwoofer.

It very well could be in the soundtrack mix down itself and not a system issue at all. Let us know the chapter & time stamp and I'll try and recreate it. If could even be a super detailed sound effect your hearing.

An overdriven soundtrack level will sound more like a crackling sound in the mid and high range rather than a woofer bottoming. The 8" woofers should easily handle the 100Hz cutoff. The crossover frequency setting slope is typically 12db, the higher the number the quicker the cutoff (i.e. 18db, 24db, 36db) so a crossover setting with a 12db slope will allow the speakers to dip to 88Hz.

I run my system all full range because the speakers can handle it. With seven full range 15" woofers and two 15" subwoofers in the room there was no shortage of bass in the system. I only had to run the NAD preamp on -30 to get it pretty loud. The fronts are all set to "0" but I have to compensate for the less efficient Cornwalls (98db) in the rear to match the 104db efficiency in the front so I add +5 to the rears. Subs are at "0" or "+1" if I really want subsonic tremors.

Keep us posted.

"I run my system all full range because the speakers can handle it. With seven full range 15" woofers and two 15" subwoofers in the room there was no shortage of bass in the system."

If I pulled the Fuses on your Subs How would you ever know?

Ok so been busy but sorry for the delay...

When the Transformer logo slams on the screen at the intro both of my mains sound like they are distorting. Can anyone see if they hear this as its the same sound I heard a few times in the movie also. Watching right now will report back...thanks for everyones help.

I'm running the exact same speaker set up but with the Onkyo 805 as my pre amp and an Emotiva XPA 5 as a seperate amp. No distortion at all. My mains are set to 80hz as well as the center allowing the sub to take car of the rest. I think the distortion you may be hearing is the sub trying to handle to much work above 80hz. Try lowering the sub and the RF82's to 60 or 80hz.

When the Transformer logo slams on the screen at the intro both of my mains sound like they are distorting. Can anyone see if they hear this as its the same sound I heard a few times in the movie also. Watching right now will report back...thanks for everyones help.

I just watched the movie today (quite loudly I might add) and there were times when it seemed like distortion but you could tell it was supposed to sound that way. I'll go back and check the opening title and see what I hear.

got home from work late today and was going to post something about the new Transformers movie.....

If you want to give your sub a work out this is a must.

I didn't hear any audible distorition and I listen louder than most, and this movie was one I watched louder than most. So needless to say I was listening loud.

I run all my speakers as full range at 200w x 5 ch and didn't notice anything. It could have been a factor of things. maybe it was intended that way, you amp couldn't supple the power, your speakers were incapable, you had line sag during a heavy passage.

Like others said, if youcould post a scene we could test it.

RockOn4Klipsch I posted this earlier.

"When the Transformer logo slams on the screen at the intro both of my mains sound like they are distorting. Can anyone see if they hear this as its the same sound I heard a few times in the movie also. Watching right now will report back...thanks for everyones help."

I watched the logo scene and I think I hear what you're describing. I'm pretty sure its supposed to sound that way because even when I turned the volume down there was an odd sound. Klipsch speakers reveal every detail in audio. Transformers 2 will give any audio system a good workout.

I couldn't believe the LFE this movie had! Probably 3 times as much as the first one. There were a few scenes where I could feel sub-20Hz output from my sub. There's a certain board in the basement ceiling that rattles only on sub-20Hz material when I have the volume turned way up. That board was shaking more than Amar Bose at an audiophile convention.