Starting from scratch - configure a system for metal

Yukon Jackass

It's either Heresy IIIs or RF63s for the speakers. Most of the stuff I listen to is either hard rock or metal, from Cream and Deep Purple to Metallica and Opeth, with some punk thrown in, too.

I am looking at mostly mid fi stuff like NAD or Onkyo. I will also be using a Technics SL 1200 TT. Tubes aren't on the list right now.

The room size is "medium," more or less.

I had a pair of kg 2.2s that lasted a long time and did heavier music very well.

Any metal heads out there that can tell me which speaker is better suited for loud, heavy music?

Thanks,

Mike in PA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without the sub, how would the H3s do? They only go down to 58. What intrigues me is the fact that there are tons of devoted Heresy fans everywhere, so this speaker must do most things right. Too bad my local dealer only carries the Reference and the cheapo lines. No Heritage!

I know amp matching makes a difference. I was looking at the new Onkyo integrated, the Outlaw receiver, and the NAD offerings. Are there any sanely priced SS amps that would give the H3s a little more oomph, or slam?

The HIII's will rock out pretty well when set up in the right place. A big amp will give more slam but I play loud enough for me with just 25 watts. The Onkyo 9555 has some beef and doesn't cost too much, the Nads are good also. You don't NEED a sub but there is a bunch of info down in the lower regions. I use a little 8 inch Velodyne with mine but a 10 inch Hsu is cheap and will work just as well (I have one of those also).

A set of stacked Heresys and a big amp would really shake the rafters.............

Thanx, Russ

Being pretty much as much a metalhead as you'll find on these forums, this is what I actually have in my setup:

RF-7s, with a B&K Reference 200.7 amp (7 channels at 200 watts per channel), a Denon AVR3802 reciever that I am using a pre-pro and two subs - a REL Storm III and Klipsch RW-12d. Using a Denon CD player in addition to an Elan Via!DJ music server as a front end. I have other speakers and equipment to fill out the home theater side of it (thus why the 7-channel amp), but for listening to most music, the above are typically the only parts that are actually engaged.

Needless to say, this will let the nighbors know what I am listening to! That dude from across the street that was thumping his rap crap in the driveway did not look to enthused when I decided to blast his $#!+ back at him by cranking up some Sonata Arctica at some pretty serious decibels one spring morning, and the system did not even break a sweat! I've seen Sonata Arctica live several times, and I don't think thier live show could've done as well as this rig did when it came to the sound quality.

As to your immediate answer, from my own listening experience, a good set of Reference backed up by a good SS amp will pretty much handle just about any metal music you could throw at it. However, I've managed to wring out a pair of Heresy's once and they certainly could hold thier own, especially paired with a decent sub or two. I've also managed to wring out a pair of Cornwalls hooked up to some good tube amps as well.

In the end, if you get a decent amp, any of the higher end Klipsch speakers will certainly do metal justice.

uum, bigger is better

generally, the bigger the speaker the more effceint it is

the more effceint it is the louder it will get with a certain amount of power

check the output level, louder is better

you do need subs - that is where the energy is, subs provide more cheap power, which bass needs

Outlaw 2150 and Cornwalls.

Render conversation impossible and causes considerable marital lack of bliss.

Their lips move but you wont hear what their saying.

Used Cornies are around at 400-500 given the current mess.

I don't use a sub but I suppose the right one could help.

Cornwalls sound great with Primus, Dream Theater, AIC, etc.

Although I tend to listen to more mellow stuff, my wife is 10 years younger than me and she says there are three bands she absolutely must hear LOUD!!!
1) “Mandatory Metallica”
2) “Required RUSH”
3) “Obligatory Ozzy”
You can see from my signature that I run the RF-7s and an RSW-15 sub. This combo will go to ear splitting levels and will make you think there is an earthquake shaking your house. What amazes me most about the system is that it goes that loud without any discernable (unintended) distortion.

The RF-7s are simply awesome speakers. Given enough power they have a very impressive punch all by themselves (without a sub). At one point I had my sub out to Klipsch to repair the amp. During this time I had a friend from out of town visiting. When I demoed the system for him (without the sub) he was simply amazed by the bass I was getting. He thought I must have had a sub hidden somewhere. When he later visited (after I had the sub back) he was completely awe struck.

Having said all of that, you should realize that the RF-7s, though a very efficient speaker, really need lots of power to truly shine. At some frequencies these speakers drop from their nominal 8ohm impedance to somewhere around 2.8ohm (I think) and when they do this your amp better have the balls to handle it. Many will tell you that you only need a small amp to drive these speakers to really loud volumes and they are right…the speakers will sound fine with a small amp…but if you really want to hear what they can do give them lots of power.

At one time I ran a set of KG2 with a single 15" JBL B380 subwoofer with about 1KW on the sub, and a 250W amp on the KG2s.

While it sounded better in many ways than the Klipschorns they were sitting on, I slagged the tweeters in the KG2s.

Later on I tried a set of the original Heresy with four of the JBL 15s, that was the ticket.

In your case I would buy a used set of Heresy. If they are the II version, great. If they are the original, figure on buying the BobCrites tweeters down the road.(they sound much better). A single sub with enough power and excursion capacity will probably be enough.

• 4 weeks later...

You should have jumped on the modded Parasound 2200MKll that I posted in the garage sale section. It sold straight away. But in terms of ss high power amps none have much on this beast. With the upgraded caps etc it was smooth enough for heritage and really would make em sing!

josh

• 2 weeks later...

Klipsch Speakers will not fail you in any respect for Metal!

The limiting factors are this in (no particular order)

-Size

-Budget

and everthing else is related to those to factors.

If you weigh size as a limiting factor, you will run out of Klipsch models before money (budget).

If you weigh budget, some form of Sub + Speaker setup will get you "in"

recommendation based on size.

Heresy III + 2 RT-12d

Cornwall III + 2 RT-12d

Klipschorn + 4 RT-12ds

Jublee + 2 KPT-684

MCM + 4 KPT-684

back to reality and budget based..In this case my recommendation for $500, $1000, $2000, $4000, $8000

2 x Pro Media 2.1

RB-51 + RW-10d

F-1 + 2 RW-10d

Cornwall III

Klipschorn

-Bill

Outlaw 2150 and Cornwalls.

That's what I was going to mention....

Plus it has a sub out and pre-outs if you want to add an external amp down the road. Others here have been really surprised by the Outlaw RR2150 plus it can also be found used and at a good price. So for under $1000 you can have the receiver and speakers that can kick serious butt.

James