Vintage Analog Nostalgia - Fully Restored Revox B77

Groomlakearea51

A few years ago (actually about 6-7 years ago now), my old Akai 635-DB R2R died. Since then I have had that "lust" for that "ole' timey" analog reel sound. Well a couple years ago (December of 2007), I found a Revox B-77 for sale. Always wanted one, but they were very expensive back in the day; far more expensive than the Akai's, Teac's, etc. They were however, built like a tank, and are still in general use today.

Well, thought about for a while, and bought it for $300. It had issues so I stuck it up on a shelf for the "git a round toit" list of things to do. I bought another one but it was a slow speed deck (3.75" only) and while it worked well, I decided to sell it and use the money to get the "normal one" done by a reputable technician.

Found a techniciam. Kevin Kaas in St. Petersburg. There's a couple other folks on the Forum who are aware of his work, and it is well worth it. So in May of 2008, off it went. The B-77 drove him crazy because of take up reel delays, etc. and by the time it was over, the entire deck was pretty much rebuilt, including a custom logic board circuit modification to correct a delay problem that apparently many of the older B-77's had.

It was worth the wait. It arrived yesterday, and today I unpacked it and tested it to see how it sounded after all these years. Gotta love the packing labels. The first box I've ever got from UPS that was not stabbed to death!!!

Record the favorite song. Booker T & the MG's - "Melting Pot"

Melting Pot was the first album that I ever owned, bought at the PX in Stuttgart, played on a Thorens TD-125, Shure M-91, Through a Sansui AU-999 and a pair of JBL 4311 Contol Room Monitors in 1971.

Spent my entire paycheck on that system. Fortunately.... I lived in the BOQ on the "Grenadier Kaserne" (Stuttgart - Zuffenhausen - about 2 miles from the Porsche factory...), and all my girlfriends fed me for a month!!!

Well that's how I got started. [H]

Outstanding, Marshall!

Many moons ago I made some recordings on a B77 with DBX (Allan Parsons "Tales of Mystery" fresh out of the wrapper was one). It was, in a way, my first preview of the digital future in that DBX doubled the dynamic range and made metering childs play. I transferred those to 1 bit, 2.8mhz a while back and they sounded like the day I made them, certainly equal to or superior to any digital I have today. The Parsons was a superbly engineered recording and I had (still have) a first rate pressing. Of course, the vinyl has a few pops and a hair less presence now...but the recording I made back then of it remains perfect and transferred to digital as though it were mastered that way.

You'd be amazed at the pre-recorded stuff you can get cheap on Ebay. Not all is first rate, but some of it is stunning.

Enjoy!

Dave

Hey Marshall,

That looks alot like the one I sold you!!! LOL!!! I am glad to see you are enjoying tape it is alot of fun!!! BTW I still have alot of Revox stuff if you are interested in any of it!!! Like a remote control for the B77 some sealed Revox 621 Mastering tape 3600ft' etc!!!

Jay

Very cool indeed! Looks beautiful. I did notice, though, that there are fingerprints all over the back of her butt. Whatcha been upto?

The fingerpints date back to the previous owner handling the fram and not wiping his greasy little prints off.

The deck did not come with a "case". It was a studio deck and apparently ordered like that. It came with "rack" rails, but I removed them. I am going to make a case for the deck in the next several weeks.