Khorn bass bin, 1/2" or 3/4" ??

Invidiosulus

Oh, come on Josh, buddy.

You haven't built a K-Horn. People who have say it is difficult and you disagree with them.

You haven't built a Jubilee. People who have say it less difficult and you disagree with them.

The oblique angle is not that difficult. You get the panel into position and drill a pilot hole with a small bit from the outside. Then you use one of the bits from HD which have a combined pilot and counterbore, to follow the first small pilot. Then you put in a long screw.

And you find a very small assistant to supervise the process. Smile.

post-2552-13819513358552_thumb.jpg

These drivers have been mentioned as a good driver for jubilee clones. I'm no where near the point where rolling LF drivers is an option but at least it is an option. Couldn't imagine the LF getting any better.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-590

With the higher FS and nearly the same(possibly lower) Qes those might have a wider bandwidth i.e. better loading of the horn at higher frequencies.
Or it might not make any difference.

Have you gotten those K403's setup yet?

-Josh

Maybe I'm a complete idiot but I don't think the Khorns look that hard to build. Compound Schmompound. It's still just a couple of passes on the tablesaw.

You have no idea...... (LOLOL). When I was speaking with the Klipschorn assembly lady at the factory several years ago, she told me some good advice.... "Unless you really know what you are doing and really good with a table saw, don't try it, you'll never really quite get it right...". Well... I finally got it right and that was after investing in a really, really good table saw and wasting a couple $hundred worth of birch plywood. Really good.... and I still had problems at first. Those angles have to be dead on and so do the dimensions. If I ever build another pair and i will probably do so next year...), I will probably search everywhere I can and find a pair of the bass bins, regardless of cosmetics, and stick to making the tops. Alot less stress...... Although the Jubilees look like a sexy way to rip up plywood and see just how far I've come!!! LOLOL!!! [H]

Okay,

Now I understand a bit better, Seth. You have your heart set on the K-Horns. Quite understandable.

In view of that,I should not have been so insistent on the Jubilee for you.

I'm sure that everyone would love to see pictures of your project as it progresses.

Best of luck in your work.

Wm McD

Gil,

What wasn't mentioned for a pair of Jubes is the need for four new woofers. Josh already has a pair of K-33s. That Eminence driver looks really good, but would be about a $720 outlay for four. Then there are the more costly crossovers (active or passive). No doubt the Jubilee is a great speaker, but people often want to pooh-pooh the older models when they are still better than the majority of other brands on the market.

Bruce

Okay,

Now I understand a bit better, Seth. You have your heart set on the K-Horns. Quite understandable.

In view of that,I should not have been so insistent on the Jubilee for you.

I'm sure that everyone would love to see pictures of your project as it progresses.

Best of luck in your work.

Wm McD

Yes, pictures please. Step by step.

Greg

Gil,

What wasn't mentioned for a pair of Jubes is the need for four new woofers. Josh already has a pair of K-33s. That Eminence driver looks really good, but would be about a $720 outlay for four. Then there are the more costly crossovers (active or passive). No doubt the Jubilee is a great speaker, but people often want to pooh-pooh the older models when they are still better than the majority of other brands on the market.

Bruce

Yikes, if making a change or course will cost that much, I can't agree more.

Wm McD

I cut out a sheet of brown paper the size of a Khorn footprint at lunch and my wife said "that's it? well those will be cute little things."

Yes, yes, they will be.

Khorns may be big but they take up so little floor space. The corners are usually wasted space in homes anyway. Fill em with horns :)