Internal speaker wiring

greg928gts

I would like to get some feedback on what you think about these cables for internal wiring for Khorns between the components and the crossover. I know I don't NEED anything more than 16ga plain wire, but I like the idea of having nice looking wires, even though I know nobody sees the wiring. I still like everything to look really nice.

These are both tinned, twisted pair. Any thoughts on tinned wire versus regular copper strand?

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KAR16SS-100

http://www.darvex.com/SHW514BC/Stinger+14+Gauge+Twisted+Speaker+Wire.html

This one is not tinned.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211UCT14/StreetWires-14-gauge-Ultra-Cable-Speaker-Wire.html?tp=2917

I like to solder ends on like this. I think it's a very clean look. Although, I think I can do better than this with some patience.

post-11090-13819513010366_thumb.jpg

I used their wire in the past and really liked it ( KNUkonceptz ). I did not like the spades they sent. You are correct, you don't need anything more but I also like nice wiring. Go figure.

Word of caution they shorted me 1' on my over all wire purchase so make sure to measure when you get it. They said they would resend but I ordered extra so no big deal.

Any thoughts on tinned wire versus regular copper strand?

According to Knukonceptz's website, the tin coating keeps the current running within the individual strands, rather than jumping between strands, so it takes a more direct path, but the more likely advantage is much-improved corrosion resistance.

The twisted pair geometry has a theoretical noise-rejection advantage over regular wire. Whether it would be audible or not is debatable, but why not be able to cross one potential problem off the list? I've been using their 8- and 10-gauge Karma Kable with my speakers for years and I'm very happy with it.

The twisted pair geometry has a theoretical noise-rejection advantage over regular wire. Whether it would be audible or not is debatable, but why not be able to cross one potential problem off the list? I've been using their 8- and 10-gauge Karma Kable with my speakers for years and I'm very happy with it.

To determine if it is audible, disconnect your speaker wires from the amp and turn on your nastiest EMI devices (in the audio spectrum), florescent lights, motors, Tesla coils, particle accelerators etc. Then listen vewwwwy carefully to your speakers for any noise ...[8-|]

Whether the wires are tinned or not will make no difference in performance for the short lengths used between the xover and drivers in a loudspeaker enclosure. The tinning will increase corrosion resistance and corrosion will affect wire performance, The tinned wires will be easier to solder and will make a better soldered joint. Any good 60/40 (Kester, Ersin) rosin core solder will be fine, no need for silver solder here.

Twisting the wires will increase capacitance but not enough to matter with the lengths that you will be using. Your soldering looks OK, but for appearance and strain relief use heat shrink of the appropriate color over uninsulated fork terminals.

BTW, your woodworking and veneering are some of the best I have seen,

Whether the wires are tinned or not will make no difference in performance for the short lengths used between the xover and drivers in a loudspeaker enclosure. The tinning will increase corrosion resistance and corrosion will affect wire performance, The tinned wires will be easier to solder and will make a better soldered joint. Any good 60/40 (Kester, Ersin) rosin core solder will be fine, no need for silver solder here.

Twisting the wires will increase capacitance but not enough to matter with the lengths that you will be using. Your soldering looks OK, but for appearance and strain relief use heat shrink of the appropriate color over uninsulated fork terminals.

BTW, your woodworking and veneering are some of the best I have seen,

So from what I'm gathering, there are no negatives to using this type of wire (except price), but don't expect better performance because of the tinning or twisting. Which is fine with me, the only reason I'm using it is for the aesthetics.

I don't know if heat shrink will offer much strain relief, but I agree it would look good. But not in black. Do you know if heat shrink is available in blue or silver or maybe white?

Thank you for the kind words about my work.

Greg

I really like the look and the feel of this stuff:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=5639

Mogami 11 gage wire. Really nice high quality stuff and you are paying for quality, not hype.

Home Depot sells grey jacketed 12 ga and 14 ga in wall wire that is very nice quality, but the Mogami just feels so nice.

So from what I'm gathering, there are no negatives to using this type of wire (except price), but don't expect better performance because of the tinning or twisting. Which is fine with me, the only reason I'm using it is for the aesthetics.

I don't know if heat shrink will offer much strain relief, but I agree it would look good. But not in black. Do you know if heat shrink is available in blue or silver or maybe white?

Thank you for the kind words about my work.

Greg

That looks like nice wire, as mentioned I wouldn't expect any sound difference but it looks nice and looks like nice quality.

Heat shrink is available in many colors if you search online. However I think it really would be best and also look very good to use black and red in thick glossy style heat shrink.

Well, I do think it is important.

I was "taken" (like Jackson Brown song) by a previous description by Greg about some structure he was doing in a building. Once the wall is sealled up, no one will ever see it again. But it bugs a craftsman whether the job is done right. Because he has his name on it -- and it is his work.

I paint the inside of speaker boxes. Because I like it. Maybe the same as Greg.

There is some argument that this is a mild paranoia. As if the "thought police" will come in and detect a flaw.

Still. a craftsman wants to do the best.

Wm McD

Darn it, they only have the good colors in 1/16". I would need larger than that to get over the band on those spade ends. Probably 1/4", maybe 3/16".

Check out your local electrical/electronics jobber. They may have a selection of colours in various sizes.

Check out your local electrical/electronics jobber. They may have a selection of colours in various sizes.

Would that be Rat Shack? Ugggh, that's all we've got around here for electronics. Although, there is an electrical supplier wholesaler nearby, I can check there.

Greg

No, not Rat Shack, a jobber where electricians go to get parts. At my local one, I was also able to buy Tripp Lite surge suppressors w/AC filters, cable clips to secure speaker cables to the wall, hospital grade connectors to make power cables and all sorts of handy knick-knacks, plus heatshrink tubing in sizes up to 3/4" (black and red only, in those largest sizes).

This is 1/2", IIRC, with my pre-La Scala speakers:

post-23736-1381951306287_thumb.jpg