My RF-7s - Review

Cody_Mack

While I was searching to put together a late 70's hi-fi system, I was keenly aware of the role the pre-amp plays in the whole sceme of things. Some companies call it a Control Amp which is a great description. It is what is ultimately in control of what comes out of the speakers. Back in the late 70's, Marantz was well known for their quality pre-amps even in their receivers. While the amp section may not be the end all, the Marantz 2325 receiver serves my needs very well! It has been professionally restored, however, with a great tuner section as well. It drives my La Scala's with tube finesse but has that SS low end punch. Those who think the La Scalla needs a sub, well, not in my room! They may not go to 30 hz but a kick drum sounds like a kick drum and a low E on a bass guitar sounds like a low E! Sorry if I went a bit OT.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I was searching to put together a late 70's hi-fi system, I was keenly aware of the role the pre-amp plays in the whole sceme of things. Some companies call it a Control Amp which is a great description. It is what is ultimately in control of what comes out of the speakers. Back in the late 70's, Marantz was well known for their quality pre-amps even in their receivers. While the amp section may not be the end all, the Marantz 2325 receiver serves my needs very well! It has been professionally restored, however, with a great tuner section as well. It drives my La Scala's with tube finesse but has that SS low end punch. Those who think the La Scalla needs a sub, well, not in my room! They may not go to 30 hz but a kick drum sounds like a kick drum and a low E on a bass guitar sounds like a low E! Sorry if I went a bit OT.

Amen brother. [Y]

I'm thinking I should have my 2325 restored. What did you all have done and how much did it cost?

Fact is, my Heresys, on stands, in my small listening room, augmented with a decent little sub, in my face, practically near-field, can deliver the sonics that I am looking for just as well as the RF-7s can.

Rick

So you compared the Heresys (w/ a sub) vs the RF7s? You thought that the RF-7s suffered being a 2 way system vs your 3 way Heresys? Well your Heresys where actually apart of a 4 way system with a sub. Add a sub to the RF-7s and they become a 3 way system.

I might have pointed THIS one out in the other thread. I get them mixed up.

I have this one book marked, but I have no experience with NAD. Have you auditioned one of these, or owned one?

I listened to them when I bought my Anthem. At the time, The T-175 wasn't out and NAD didn't have a pre-pro with HDMI. The NAD pre-pro's I've heard are very smooth and dynamic. They're definitely worth a listen.

I listened to them when I bought my Anthem. At the time, The T-175 wasn't out and NAD didn't have a pre-pro with HDMI. The NAD pre-pro's I've heard are very smooth and dynamic. They're definitely worth a listen.

I'm going to find a local dealer and give it an audition.

I had all the electrolytic and tantalum caps replaced, tuner aligned, bias and DC offset, all lamps, pots and switches cleaned and lubed. The technician said this particular receiver had a very easy life. Even the power caps tested as new! The work done was basically general and preventative maintenance and replacement of parts that notoriously go bad. I paid just a touch over $300 for the parts and the work. I paid $100 for it so I can't complain. I also sprung for an aftermarket wood case which is very, very nice! I have had a boat load of audio gear and I can't remember being as happy with any set up as I am with my current system. It just does most everything right and very little wrong.

How do you like your Emotiva gear? I thinking about moving away from the Carvers and just getting the XPA5.

I went through many pre/pros/avrs and amps for several years.After I bought the Emotiva set I didn't feel the need to "improve " any more.I will be gettin the new prepro soon but it's 40% off for original owners of previous prepros and I do need hdmi in that room.