Stereo Subs

russ69

I just could not stop myself, I've had singular subs for years but I always wanted a sub on each channel. So I ordered another one so I can be balanced. No logic to this purchase, I just wanted one so I got one! How about some support from the stereo sub guys?

Thanx, Russ

I just wanted one so I got one!

Well, there is some logic that is available, if you want to dig some "justification". [8-|]

...How about some support from the stereo sub guys...

What kind of support?[:D]

On a more serious note [8-)] ...putting the subs into the room's corners will always help the in-room response considerably in terms of low-end extension and FR smoothness. Two corners are better than one, assuming that the subs and your other speakers are in correct polarity and the phases in the crossover region are matched.

Chris

Can't help but wonder about phasing with more than a single sub. Given the relatively very slow frequencies seems two subs might have a number of points in a room where phasing would either emphasize or demphasize.

I've heard this with pipe organs when 32' pipes of the same length (though different stops) are played simultaneously.

Hadn't given it any thought for a system as I've never been around one with more than one sub. Of course, 'horns themselves get way down, but I was thinking of the VLF last octave stuff.

Dave

Can't help but wonder about phasing with more than a single sub.

I wouldn't worry about it--if you're in the area, drop in sometime for a short demonstration that will likely address your fears.

I call it the "try it" method.

Chris

Can you explain it?

Yes:

"Try it, listen, do some tests, then decide if it works. You can do 'blind testing' to help you decide."

Consult theory, but you can still try it (i.e., test it), then form opinions. Change the model/theory if the results don't track with test or listening results. (Ref: An Introduction to General Systems Thinking, 1974, Gerald M. Weinberg)

Clearly, there are things to avoid doing, like trying to violate physics or trying to assign aural fidelity to objects whose performance doesn't stand up to blind testing.

Chris [:#]

Congratulations on purchasing a second sub Russ, and if it sounds good to you, that is what matters. [Y]

Has anyone had negative effects by adding a second sub? I have heard of a second sub adding problems and muddying up the sound. Maybe he was running them two loud or something like that.

Dennie

• Moderators

I only have one but eventually I will have another just the same. This Cask guy has put bad thoughts in my head with this folded horn sub, so I built one like his, and love it. So now I am thinking this Cask guy has switched to two of these subs and says it really nice, so if he was right the first time ! [:D] One day I will have to try his crazy idea of another sub just like the first.

I told my wife Cask said we need another sub like the first and she said tell him.......I said OK after the Holidays.

[:o] This Cask guy is good ! [H] [;)]

I only have one but eventually I will have another just the same. This Cask guy has put bad thoughts in my head with this folded horn sub, so I built one like his, and love it. So now I am thinking this Cask guy has switched to two of these subs and says it really nice, so if he was right the first time ! Big Smile One day I will have to try his crazy idea of another sub just like the first.

I told my wife Cask said we need another sub like the first and she said tell him.......I said OK after the Holidays.

Surprise This Cask guy is good ! CoolWink

Oh, I need to stay away from that Cask Guy! I have seen the aforementioned subs and.......and.......and I just need to stay away from him! [8-)]

(until after Christmas, at least)

Dennie

• Moderators

Oh, I need to stay away from that Cask Guy! I have seen the aforementioned subs and.......and.......and I just need to stay away from him! Roll-eyes

(until after Christmas, at least)

Dennie

Yes he is a bad influence, if he has he way everything in your house will be rattling ! [:|]

Just think how the design with the 2 12" drivers would sound in that design, although the cost would be much more. That's why I went with the original design, and glad I did, a pair of these should be all I could want.

OK here's the latest report: Full disclosure first. I'm in a really small room and listen in the near field. I had one Hsu 10 inch down-firing sub and one Velodyne HGS-12 Mark II front-firing servo-sub (it was their top 12 inch product at the time). I never really liked the sound of the Velodyne it just seemed a bit heavy and hard to blend with my Triangle speakers. Anyway I pulled out the Velodyne and put another Hsu 10 inch in it's place. The subs are placed up front next to my loudspeakers. I crossed them over fairly low as I run my Triangles full range. I'm not sure of the exact crossover point but it's near 45 or 50 hz.

Listening tests confirmed my crossover and loudness setting. The subs integrate much better and sound more musical than it did with the Velodyne. The bass is deep and extended. It also seems to have stabilized my center image a little bit also. So at this point I have to say stereo subs do work well, the holes and dips are mostly eliminated. I also have to mention that I have used the Velodyne subwoofer management system and have graphed a totally flat response from 15-50 hz but it just didn't sound as good as the new setup.

Thanx, Russ

• Moderators

Did you have any trouble with adjusting the phase, I don't know, do you set both subs adjustments the same or do you need to have them set a little differently as to not cancel out any bass from the other ? I have heard of people having a little trouble with this but much of it could be caused by the room ?