Sneak Peek- 210hz mid tractrix oak horns- New pics 1-16

kevinmi

These are not complete yet, but I wanted to try out the Selenium D405 2 inch phenolic diaphragm drivers before I went any further to see if I'd like the sound. I did a short comparison with 1- 2 inch horn vs. my K55-V driven tractrix horn. It's not an easy comparison, but what I info I did get is that it plays louder, so I'll have to attenuate it more than the -5 db that I have my 1 inch horns set at. It seems to be more open and a little crisper than the 1 inch, but still retaining the same timbre overall, with a little bit quicker response. Although this driver lists a response of 300hz to 7000hz with a recommended 500hz crossover, I think crossing it over at 400 is a safe bet considering the low amount of wattage it will see in real life. I heard no signs of it breaking up whatsoever. But remember that this driver is only good to 7000hz, so it won't work in a 2 way system. My complete upgrade will include new tractrix tweeter horns also. Stay tuned..

post-28686-1381952490299_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin -- those look really nice! Are you going to try to match the color of the horns to the Khorn bass bins?

Bruce

My goal is to match them to the bass bins. This one is a little lighter right now, but I'm going to darken it a bit. It's not really that far off, but the finish is too glossy and reflects light too much. The other one I'm making turned out much better, of course!

Those look great. Gonna have some great low mids.

I would be curious how those perform above 4000Hz off axis.

jc

I was really suprised how well that horn sounded sitting on top of the K-horn. My plan was to hinge the horn so I could angle it down a tad (the tweeter will be underneath it), but I might not have to. I didn't notice a lot of difference from sitting or standing. My listening room isn't really big enough to worry about off axis sound (18' X 12').

Comparison of the Selenium 2" driver to the K55-V driver

Love the comparison. Horn looks great! Is it destined to be in view, on top of the Khorn or are you considering trying to build it into its own top? (clearly it won't fit in stock form nor shape because of its height)

Comparison of the Selenium 2" driver to the K55-V driver

Love the comparison. Horn looks great! Is it destined to be in view, on top of the Khorn or are you considering trying to build it into its own top? (clearly it won't fit in stock form nor shape because of its height)

When the project is done, the oak horn will be on top with the black top that I have now. The tweeter will be in the middle, painted black to look like the original riser. Both the tweeter and oak squaker will be nekkid (no grill cloth) The tweeter will be a wooden tractrix horn driven by a Crites (APT50) driver.

Great job on the oak veener horns! Are you in need of any 1 inch wide iron on oak veener? I have a bunch left over from my last project. What is going to be your driver for the tractrix tweeter?

I'm going to use my Crites drivers for the tweeters to start with, and might play around with other drivers if I don't like the sound-kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin those horns are crazy big. They are stunning to look at. I can only imagine what they sound like. Maybe if you turn them up enough I could hear them from where im at. Keep up the good work. I hope to have some more vinyl shipped out to you by week end. If not, it will be the first of the week.[H]