High End Audio Stores

Mudkicker

I was just wondering if it is the same in the U.S. as it is here in Montreal that most of the Specialty Audio Stores carry B&W and Paradigm as a staple. I have yet to find any Klipsch in these stores. Yet, when i bought my first Klipsch back in 1996 they were from a Specialty Store. I assume that since Klipsch went Big Box Store, that the smaller specialty stores stopped carrying them.

Also, while browsing through the AVS Forums under "2 Channel Audio" by far the two most recommended brands to noobs are B&W and Paradigm...have yet to see anyone recomment Klipsch. My friends have both B&W and Paradigm and i fail to see how these are any better than my KG's...especially the Paradigm.....the B&W did sound pretty good.

Anyway, just thought i would share this with you.

Profit margin comes to mind.... In the case of Klipsch, they take excellent care of their loyal fans, and sell Heritage direct to the customer and thus the "boutique audio" store manager won't get the second Mercedes for Christmas unless he/she concentrates on the "any price the market will bear" stuff.

Just a thought.

I assume that since Klipsch went Big Box Store, that the smaller specialty stores stopped carrying them.

Also, while browsing through the AVS Forums under "2 Channel Audio" by far the two most recommended brands to noobs are B&W and Paradigm...have yet to see anyone recomment Klipsch. My friends have both B&W and Paradigm and i fail to see how these are any better than my KG's...especially the Paradigm.....the B&W did sound pretty good.

SHHHHHHH, don't you know Klipsch are for the one percent who are perfectionists?

The Big Box Store stuff are a different model lines, accordingly lower priced, which will hopefully introduce the other 99% to what's really important [;)]

Well my local private store recently stopped carrying Klipsch as they were not getting represented well. They didn't see the rep for the area much at all, and when tried to contact him, never got a reply or it was a real late one(incompetent). I don't blame them with that kind of support. But now if I wanted to upgrade, I'd have to drive quite a distance or change brands. Future Shop carries it but I don't like buying from a big box store that I can't have a relationship with. Its too bad but I guess the eternal dollar is what matters to most.

The high end store I frequent does have Klipsch but the good stuff you have to know your model and order. The stores have these multiple gidgys that can switch anything to anything and they usually don't work very well. They did have some Klipsch smaller tiny speaker models hooked up.

JJK

Hay Mudkicker, its true that there are not a lot of stores that carry Klipsch, only two come to mind East Hamilton Radio and Bay Bloor Radio. I know there are more, I just don't know of them.

I previously owned the Paradigm Monitor 7s and I found them completly lifeless comparred to my RB-81s. The only thing the Monitor 7s had h leg up on my Rb-81s was more bass, but thats due to them being floorstanders compared to bookshelf speakers.

I think the biggest problem with Klipsch in Canada is the prices, my RB-81s were $450 a piece and thats with paying cash. Ive saw the RF-52 system (with the RT10 sub) sell for $3800 last November. I bought my Sub-12 online for $400 last year and it was about half the price as Best Buys at the time. [:'(]

I haven't seen a high-end store for 3 decades! Sure there are plenty of home theater stores and contractors but I've not heard a high end demo since the 70's. The nicest store within driving distance has some better gear but the room is more like a speaker warehouse than a demo room. I've not been "blown away" by a demo in a long long time. Maybe I need to get out more or find a Genesis dealer with a good set-up? Brick and morter hi-fi stores are rare.

Thanx, Russ

The only high end place the comes to mind around here is no more. Salon One Audio. Was located in Wisconsin Rapids, WI. A series of listening rooms packed with stuff. Casual environment with the salespeople just as excited as you to listen on various gear. I think the owner's name was Bruce (or Bill?). My memory......

There seems to be a few High-end stores in my next of the woods two of them use to carry Klipsch Heritage but dropped out. There is a home electronics, appliance, furniture store, that carries the reference line but that's all I get locally. I have to drive about 2-3 to a High-end store down in Kansas to here some thing from the Heritage line though they don't carry much. But they do have a pair or two lying around for demo which they sell off of the floor.

duder