Improving Cornwall I's

twins0649

Hello all,

I have learned alot from this forum and wanted to thank all the contributors for their expertise.

I am the origional owner of Cornwall I's Serial # 3L007 and 3L008. I have driven them with a Crown IC 150 preamp and DC300 A since they were new. Does anyone have suggestions on how to improve them? Should I change out the crossovers with Crites?

Are there any suggestions in room placement for them? The room they will be located in is approximately 12 x 18, the room is down to studs and plywood subfloor for extensive remodeling.

I also have a Thorens TD 160 turntable, any suggestions as to where to obtain a replacment stereo cartridge that will fit the Thorens? Any reccommendations for a specific cartidge would also be appreciated.

Thanks you in advance for your comments.

Regards,

twins0649

Hey, we’re cousins! I own 3L559 an 3L560. 1973, a very good year. Yours must also be vertical Cornwall Is! They have the B networks and the first thing I’d do is replace the 2 caps. There are lots of suggestions on different brands. I used Hovland Music Caps on mine.

Recently, I retired the Cornwalls from my home theater in favor of a new pair of Heresy IIIs. The wife was much happier with smaller speakers in the family room in that I also have 2 large sub enclosures with NHT 1259s.

The highs from the Heresy III were much better than the Cornwalls. I plan to replaces them with Crites tweeters. I may do the woofers too. They will be reborn in the basement for music to play pool by.[:D]

I drive the Cornwalls with a Bryston 2B LP.

You can either get the kit from Mr. Crites and do it your self or ship him your x-overs and he will do the job for you and ship them back. I currently have 2 pairs of Cornwall I, one pair has his modified x-over and the other is still original.

I have one pair hooked up for 2-channel with my Thorens 160 TT. I purchased the TT from a forum member and purchased a Shure M97xE, this is my first TT and it sounds great to me, a cart all depends on how much you want to spend. You can take a look at LP Gear, Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Music Direct and even Amazon for the best pricing on the cart.

Don't know if you have this information but it good to have.

The Analog Department

Vinyl Engine

James

The cap replacement is pretty easy. Here are before and after pictures of my Heresy I center channel crossover which I just rebuilt. I put in screw terminal blocks to make it easier to try other caps. Note that the E crossover and the B crossover are very similar, only the component values are different.

Old Crossover

Rebuilt Crossover

This is just my opinion (everyone's got one)[;)] I'd change the caps on only one crossover to start and see if you can hear any difference by comparing with the other. At minimum this will give you a reference to the improvement the new caps will have.

I've modded my Cornies a fair amount and for me the most noticeble improvement was changing the tweeter, if I have started with the tweeter change I may not have done anything else.

Good luck

Upgrade the caps, I just did with the kit from Bob. My center is from 73 and there was a big improvement. my mains are from 84 and has a B3 crossover and that helped also. I also put in the Crites tweeter's in all 3. It was a nice upgrade. With the K55 driver that you have you can also upgrade the crossover from Bob. That will be my next upgrade, but I need to change my 84 driver from a K57 to a K55 for the upgrade. I will be doing this in a few months.