CD - Diamonds among the zircons...

Ray Garrison

I just bought a new CD.

It is the first Bob Dylans Greatest Hits album. It was originally recorded in, I think, 1967 on Columbia CK 65975. I have that LP. I also have all the LP's that the song collections come from. I have CD versions of most of those LP's.

I bought this CD because it had a little yellow sticker on the jewel case:

24 Bit Digially Remastered!

Restored to original packaging!

Columbia Best Value K 65975-S1

I am a sucker for anything labelled "remastered", and this CD cost less than $8. So what the heck. Bought it.

This is the absolute best sounding version of every single on of these songs that I own, and by a very large margin. Hiss has been eradiated. Ususally, when someone uses Sonic Solutions NoNoise or some such process, the high end response and tonality is totally trashed. Not here. Besides quieter background, the individual instruments stand out far more clearly than I've ever heard before. Bob's vocals are more realistic than any other recording I have. I hear things, clearly and without straining to hear them, that I simply did not know where on these recordings.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO INFO about the production and remastering that was done. The only thing different about this packaging is the 1999 copyright notice.

Does ANYBODY know anything about who did this, and how? And, if you're a Dylan fan, I think this is a GREAT disc. Unfortunately, I've found it very difficult to tell when looking at Amazon or whatever whether the version listed is the same as the one I have in my hand.

Amazed and happy,

Ray Garrison

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@Klipsch.com">email Amy</A> or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 03-12-2002 at 01:13 PM

SONY did it i guess.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Why can't they all be like this? It's 2002, and yet I popped a CD in last night, and all I heard was hisssssssssssss. A moment of utter panic set in -- could it be my setup??? Hit the pause button -- no hiss. Hit resume...bad hiss. Listened to the end of each track - as the song trailed off, the hiss magically disappeared, and pure silence accompanied the blank spaces between tracks. At least until the next track started up.

I mean, c'mon, we can transmit the entire contents of the Library of Congress in under a second, yet the recording studios can't master their recordings to eliminate this nuisance. I guess it all comes down to economics -- why clean up and reissue oldies but goodies with limited appeal when you can churn and burn a new Brittany CD every other week? Besides, the most critical listening these new releases get is on JVC boomboxes or at clubs with dBs set to maximum distortion.

C

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 03-12-2002 at 01:48 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Sony

They also just recently released some

Pink Floyd

Rush

Areosmith

Journey

I scarf them up when I see them. Some are 22 bit, but all of them sound better than the original releases -- and dare I say it...YES...EVEN THE LP's.

So the problem wasn't the CD format -- but the process utilized.

Records might have sounded better than CD's 20 years ago -- but not anymore.

------------------

deanG

This message has been edited by deang on 03-12-2002 at 02:04 PM

Deang. Man you got a lot of guts. If any of those lp worshipers read your post the stuff will hit the fan.

Have you guys tried the gold cds such as Mobile Fidelity, Sony, Au20, Dcc. These are all digital remastered from the original master tapes. While I don't think they are 24 bit they do sound better than the normal cds. However I don't think that they are as big as an improvement as the Mobile Fidelity lps were compared to regular lps. That was like night & day. Just the reduction in the pop, pop, scratch, scratch noise was worth the 2 times price. I like to get those out every now & then as they do sound nice. Cds are just so much easier to deal with.

Jethro.......

------------------

EMI jazz(Keith Jarret and Dave Holland Quintet), Blue Note(Patricia Barber) and Mapleshades master some CDs that are in a different class as well.

CDs never needed to sound so hastily made and compressed.

Eric Clapton and BB King recent collaboration is pretty sharp.

Sonny Rollins "Saxaphone Collossus" recorded in 1956 by Rudy Van Gelder was reissued in 1999 using the JVC 20 bit K2 super coding process. It sounds damn near vinyl to me!

Good rematered music to try.

I don't mind paying a little extra (read 20%) for a remastered disk that I probably already have. But when Mobile Fidelity (from www.amusicdirect.com ) is selling them for 2X to 10X what I think they should be, well, let's just say it would have to do all the house work and arrange a date with Brooke Burke before I'd lay out THAT kind of cash.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

I only have one disk from mobile fidelity; Neil Young "Old Ways".

It sounds only a little bit better than the Mark Knoffler "Sailing to Philidelphia" I am listening to this morning. Mark does a duet on one song with James Taylor; an interesting contrast in voices.

You can just about get 3 Mapleshades Cds for the price of a Mobile Fidelity or even 4-5 NAXOS classical CDs.

MF filled a niche; the big record labels only care if a CD plays in a persons car or boom box.