How to calibrate properly? (I don't want to screw things up!)

Yawnny

Alright just picked up a Onkyo TX-SR876

Sounds great so far, I've attempted to calibrate it a little, used the Audessey mic, but I feel I should calibrate further

Now for the questions! [:o] First off, with SO many listening modes to choose from which is the most common one I should use for Movies or games? It's automatically on ALL CH STEREO But I'm assuming thats pretty vanilla?

Secondly, I know I should set my speakers to "small", But just have NO idea how to do it with this Onkyo .. I did the auto calibration thing, but most say Audessy sets the speakers to Full Band which is there way of saying "large".. apprently just changing the crossover frequencies is me changing it to "small" but I haven't had it completely explained so Im so very confused [:|]

They had set my center channel (RC-52) to 60HZ.. but I heard people say change it to 80hz(THX) ? .. the fronts are at 150HZ right now, with the surrounds at 120HZ .. I also read to set the LPF of LFE to 120HZ.. So I did, Is this the right thing to do?

Here's where I read about manually calibrating

Im still fairly new at this stuff so I don't want to muck it up configuring.. All help is appreciated!!

Yours is newer (mine are 705's), but I leave it on all channel stereo for radio and generic "TV" from DTV. For movies, on the other hand, I have experimented around. As you have seen there are a bazillion different choices, so it will be what you particularly like. Also on DVD's on the back it will tell you if it's 5.1, DTS, etc. and you can then select that as a starting point. I tried the Audessey route, initially, but found that by manually selecting each pair and setting them in terms of volume that sounded about right for me was the way to go. I'd then exit out listen to something on DTV, a movie, etc. then hit menu and play with it some more. It took me about 3-4 hours (a good afternoon) to get it where I wanted it. There is a setting for "distance" and I would generally recommend you put in the actual distances as a start point, but use the + or - dB settings to tweak it for your speakers. The "full" vs the other settings really depend on the speakers. I had the best success with "full band", but not using a sub (I use Cornwalls...), the "sub" is sen as "missing", so I cannot offer any advice on that setting.

I see in your other post that you are running RB61's as mains, if that is true than I would lower the crossover down to about 80-100 hz along with the center and do some listening tests. I think the 150hz may be a tad high for the RB61. I dont really understand why Auddysey would set the center channel lower than the mains.

put everything at 80hz. run audyssey with as many points as possible in your room. I think you can run anywhere from 3-8 points.

setup your sub before doing this by putting it at 1/2 gain. I run my sub at 120hz, but alot of people here run theirs at 80hz. I have my rf63s running at 60hz but since you have rb61s, I would run them at 80hz.

O, one more thing, dont run you speakers at full band or Large setting.

Ps3 multichannel, xbox 360 dolby digital, HD channels dolby digital or whatever sounds best to you on SD channels, ALL ch stereo is a good one for listening to a SD channel like a football game or baseball game with a crappy broadcast. I use this setting also for music sometimes.

These are just my listening modes I use the most. You wont really be able to tell the difference between any of them that much.

Ok I think I figured out the xover frequencies, Now I want to adjust the dB's.. I want my center channel just a bit louder then it set it at.. Is going into the "-" dB levels making it louder? or is it when it goes into the "+" dBs its getting louder? thanks for the help guys!

How do i adjust the Large or Small setting on this amp though? All I see that I can change is the distance from my speakers, and the crossover settings.. How do I set them to small?

You can't. Onkyo either runs speakers Full Band or at a specific crossover frequency. Use 80Hz as others have suggested.

Ok I think I figured out the xover frequencies, Now I want to adjust the dB's.. I want my center channel just a bit louder then it set it at.. Is going into the "-" dB levels making it louder? or is it when it goes into the "+" dBs its getting louder? thanks for the help guys!

If you're in the "-" levels, the smaller the number the louder. If you're in the "+" levels, the larger the number the louder.

I use Audyssey to measure speaker distance and also for balancing the levels but I don't like the EQ it does. I run everything flat as far as bass/treble/etc.

Now for the questions! SurpriseFirst off, with SO many listening modes to choose from which is the most common one I should use for Movies or games? It's automatically on ALL CH STEREO But I'm assuming thats pretty vanilla?

They had set my center channel (RC-52) to 60HZ.. but I heard people say change it to 80hz(THX) ? .. the fronts are at 150HZ right now, with the surrounds at 120HZ .. I also read to set the LPF of LFE to 120HZ.. So I did, Is this the right thing to do?

What are you using for a source? DVD player, PS3, etc? MultiCh is what I used in my 805 for DVDs/Blu-Rays. It gives you the HD audio with minimal surround re-processing by your receiver. I wouldn't use ALL CH STEREO for movie watching. Dolby Digital/DTS would be good too if your receiver is letting you select those formats.

What kind of receiver u have my man ! I have a yamaha htr 5890 and mine is in the menu's under speaker set thr u can change all them to large or small and ur bass managment is n thr with the x overs and stuff :) I calaberated all my stuff with a spl meter done my uncles also and he loves his !

Sorry, but that post gave me a headache. Unless you're texting from your phone (and even then) please try and post things in such a way that everyone can read them. There's a lot of old farts on here that won't have a clue what "ur bass managment is n thr with the x overs and stuff" means.

[Y]

• 2 weeks later...

kelA i have a quistion by the way it looks you have alot of denon i was gunna look into one of them but kinda scared i own a yamaha htr-5890 now and i need to know what maybe is the better receiver to go with .I dont know why i wanna switch maybe just curious and i heard denon is good but yamaha is too! I have all klipsch surround rf-82 ,rc-35, rs-10 them are getting upgraded here shortly to rs-52's ! I watch more movies and ps3 games over music all tho occationally i do listen to music !! I put an end to all this if i dont spell your name rite wuzzer i think and to anyone else i offended SORRY :)

mercer,

At 34 years of age I don't consider myself an old fart, I was referring to others on here who are much older than I am. I try to be helpful on boards such as this and not make waves. My suggestion was a simple one - please try and type in a manner that makes things easily understood. If you want to help out, please do.

Yamaha does make good receivers. I believe the HTR series was a more mid-grade series made for stores such as Best Buy. Denon works well with Klipsch, too. If you like the Yamaha sound, they have a wide variety of receivers that would be an upgrade from your current one that will offer things such as more power, better DACs, more inputs/outpts, etc.