Newest Project

CIGARBUM

Well, it's time to come out of the closet with my newest project. First I need to give thanks and appreciation to JC and IBSLAMMIN and many thanks for all the support and guidance in this project. I started with the basic DBB, plans and comments have been widely posted, the HF cabinet started with the ALK trachorn with a GPA 902-19 on the back and the Beyme CP25 for a tweeter. Although I don't have any test equipment, they sound pretty darn good, then JC put the bug in my ear that I needed a bigger horn and driver.I believe all the comments on the forum about bigger wood horns are better, ah, yes they are. So originals were replaced with a big 225HZ wood horn with the JBL 2482 driver and a JBL 2404 tweeter, these are all being powered by VRD's and a Peach. Gentleman and ladies, these things sound wonderful, at least to my old ears. From another un-named post, I just wish I had some test equipment to see what the numbers say, I can't justify the purchase for one set of speakers. Does anyone have some traveling test equipment that could stop up and give a listen. I will attach some pictures, I just have these setting on top of the DBB and haven't decided how to finish them off, any suggestions, I kind of like the looks of that big ol horn sitting there, and wire management needs to be addressed.

Listening impressions: this is compared to the original set up. Huge sound stage, better imageing, better seperation, bigger sound. I have tried several different styles of music and I am still hearing things that I have never hears, almost to the points of more of the faults, lips touching mike and fingers moving on instruments.

I still want to do some A/B testing between components, and continue changing some of the other stuff in my Khorns, I think the only things I want to try is change the stock mid driver for a JBL 2470, I have two different diaphrams I want to try and use one of ALK universal XO, then there are the Belles, undecided at this point, I am open for suggestions.

I will continue to add to the thread as I change components. Again I want to thank all for the suggestion and help given to me in the process, and lastly to PWK for the inspiration to look at different ways to make good sound.

Just as a heads up, there will be a big yard sale in the near future of all the parts I don't need. If you have any questions, please use my email as it a lot easier to attach more pictures. rgreene@hemc.net

CigarBum

post-32367-1381952634208_thumb.jpg

Deafby Khorns, no they won't fit, a shame because they sound outstanding. If you shave just a touch off these, they would fit. These are some that I have built, 12" x 24" + - Just a hint, the guys who say horns are a piece of cake, don't believe them, these things are a pain in the butt, that is if you want the true tractrix horn. When I built these, I made 3 sets, allowing for me to screw up two sets, I surprised myself, they all came out pretty nice.

post-32367-13819526406034_thumb.jpg

Now what I am trying to do is figure how to get these in a pair of my Belles. You can do it but I'm afraid that I will mess up my Southern Belles, such pretty little girls. I may just built a seperate HF cabinet to sit on top and do some testing sith different components.

post-32367-13819526406724_thumb.jpg

Now what I am trying to do is figure how to get these in a pair of my Belles. You can do it but I'm afraid that I will mess up my Southern Belles, such pretty little girls. I may just built a seperate HF cabinet to sit on top and do some testing sith different components.

I am running the JBL 2445J's on my dbbs as I can use them 2 or 3 way.

Well I am almost to the conclusion the I will have to build a new HF cabinet to put on top of the Belles bass bin, or I guess I could retain the original Belle configuration and use Al's trachorn, I think that will fit. I intend to use the JBL 2446 on the back end, with the Beyma 25 for the tweeter

My DBB has the 225 HZ wood horn with the JBL 2482 and a JBL 2404, that is some kind of sweet.

I really don't know how much difference in sound there will be between the original K-500 Belle horn and the Klappenberger horn and the 260 HZ that I built, all using the JBL 2446 driver. Has anyone ever tried this????????

CB