Another Thread about the Anti-Cables

Ocnorb

Well, sometimes the "they did sound way better" is an illusion...sort of like a placebo effect...you know how the mind play trick on you.

Well, regardless of the reasons. they did sound way better and that is all that matters to me.

cheers

Jim

NO no no.

Stop telling people they aren't hearing what they are hearing.

I have swapped cables before and had a noted improvement which was verified by my wife who had no idea I had changed anything.

Oxidation was not an issue either.

-Josh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once read an article published by, I think, Pass Labs (the company of the great SS amp designer) who early on tested a variety of cables looking for significant electrical differences he could measure. He did not claim these differences (which he was able to measure) would be audible nor that there were certain measurements that could predict "better" or "worse" sound BUT he did note significant, measurable differences between cables and posit that certain factors could degrade sound during transmission, that was enough to leave the door open in my mind to the possiblity that different cables could sound different.

I did some auditioning in my system and ended buying cables to replace "zip cord" and have been happy with the results. Can I say for sure everyone else hears (or doesn't) differences in cables? nope. Did I hear huge differences in cables? nope.

But I did hear enough to make a modest investment, not enough to keep pulling me up scale endlessly. At this point I am still willing to accept the possiblity that there are differences in sound to be wrought from swapping cables and thus cannot fault anyone who makes in the claim and the investment accordingly.

YMMV, IMHO, Etc.! warm regards, Tony

PS found the article http://www.passlabs.com/pass/651/speaker-cables-science-or-snake-oil

For $50/foot, you might as well called it voodoo science.

Yes

Also known as Snake Oil!

"Psychoacoustics" at work!!!

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it until the raw materials arrive for my getting ready to start $3000 a foot speaker wire business which I now have $17.28 invested......

Just because I don't/haven't/can't hear a difference, I am not going to call someone a fool who claims to, or make fun of them.

But that's me,

Dennie

Yah got a point.

In all seriousness, if someone wishes to spend bazillions and it makes them happy, and they are not hurting anyone, etc. Great!! More power to hem and if they are truly happy, who are we to question that pursuit of happiness/ audio nirvana, etc.Drinks

Nicely Put! [Y]

Dennie

What? You don't think someone who spent $1,000 on a pair of 10' speaker cables is a fool?

Just because I don't/haven't/can't hear a difference, I am not going to call someone a fool who claims to, or make fun of them.

But that's me,

Dennie

What? You don't think someone who spent $1,000 on a pair of 10' speaker cables is a fool?

But that's me,

Dennie

I dont! If they have the money and that's what they want to spend their money on......more power to them! Their hearing may be better than mine and they may be able to hear a difference.

Now, if they can't pay their mortage and are behind in their bills and they spend $1000 on a speaker wire.....well, seems foolish to me. [*-)]

Dennie

Yah got a point.

In all seriousness, if someone wishes to spend bazillions and it makes them happy, and they are not hurting anyone, etc. Great!! More power to hem and if they are truly happy, who are we to question that pursuit of happiness/ audio nirvana, etc.Drinks

I keep telling my mom that about my smack habbit. But she dosen't buy it.

duder

I now use coat hangers exclusively! Big Smile

Now, if they can't pay their mortage and are behind in their bills and they spend $1000 on a speaker wire.....well, seems foolish to me. Confused

Dennie

I think I hear another new business plan! [^o)]

MARTY!!!! Neo is stealing your ideas!!! [;)]

Dennie

Good idea! I can buy coat hangers for pennies on the dozen! I can see the profits soaring. [:P]

BTW, I been a proponent of coat hangers as speaker wires for decades so it was my idea! [;)]

I think I hear another new business plan! Hmm

MARTY!!!! Neo is stealing your ideas!!! Wink

Dennie

Good idea! I can buy coat hangers for pennies on the dozen! I can see the profits soaring. Stick out tongue

BTW, I been a proponent of coat hangers as speaker wires for decades so it was my idea! Wink

I think I hear another new business plan! Hmm

MARTY!!!! Neo is stealing your ideas!!! Wink

Dennie

If you can get "Colored" coat hanger's, I think the "High End" guy's will jump all over that!!! [<:o)]

Dennie

I really should not have sold Jim (Ocnorb) those La Scala's. When I met him he seemed like a nice normal music luvin Guy. Now since becoming part of this forum he has turned into a monster ( is an Ogre a monster?) and is now trying to corrupt the rest of us....Shame on you Jim....[;)]

PS.Jim...if you want me to save you from yourself I will happily come and take those La Scala's back, I have a nice pair of Bo$e speakers to replace them....

coat hangers - Gotta love 'em....

"the desirable low tensile strength and thus flexible for special configuratiuons, this special speaker cabling is certified oxygen and sulfur free; the alloy is specially formulated, fully demagnetized, and post production cryo treated configuration designed to provide a higher degree of resistance than traditional copper alloys that allows the owner of the high end solid state amplifiers to duplicate that soft, warm, vintage tube amp sound. These are specifically designed with a large overall circumference to take advantage of the natural "skin" effect of electron propagation via the alloy's super symetrical semi-crystalline matrix wire configuration. Custom insulated with a proprietary binding non-conductive specially formulated non-hydrocarbon emitting lacquer and with a speical high dialetric coefficient teflon wrapped outer coating to ensure maximum signal pass through. Available in special custom colors to match your dedicated listening room's decor".

How does that sound?

[H]

Groom, would you like to be my sale agent? We can open a sale office in your area.

coat hangers - Gotta love 'em....

"the desirable low tensile strength and thus flexible for special configuratiuons, this special speaker cabling is certified oxygen and sulfur free; the alloy is specially formulated, fully demagnetized, and post production cryo treated configuration designed to provide a higher degree of resistance than traditional copper alloys that allows the owner of the high end solid state amplifiers to duplicate that soft, warm, vintage tube amp sound. These are specifically designed with a large overall circumference to take advantage of the natural "skin" effect of electron propagation via the alloy's super symetrical semi-crystalline matrix wire configuration. Custom insulated with a proprietary binding non-conductive specially formulated non-hydrocarbon emitting lacquer and with a speical high dialetric coefficient teflon wrapped outer coating to ensure maximum signal pass through. Available in special custom colors to match your dedicated listening room's decor".

How does that sound?

Cool