New room build in progress....Suggestions?

Riot260

16x20 with 10ft ceilings

5/8" Sheetrock walls R-19 insulation.

R-30 ceiling insulation.....................But what will be best for the ceiling material? Sheetrock?

I read not so good things about drop ceiling. Unless high dollar tiles are used.

Commercial carpet over slab.

Stud walls up now.

Any suggestions?

If you hadn't already studded the walls.... I would have suggested splaying the walls, making the room narrower at the screen wall end. An inch a foot is a good rule of thumb, it will keep the amount of slap echo down from having parallel walls.

As far as drywall... I would suggest double 5/8" on the ceiling, and at least a single layer on the walls.

If you haven't addressed the air handling of the room yet, plan for a 'muffler' in the HVAC system, as well as a few 90 degree turns to attenuate noise transmission in the duct work.

Run conduit in the walls in order to be able to add wires later if needed.

Try tp slope the ceiling towards the speaker location wall about the same ratio as the wall suggestions from Mike. Just takes a couple of additional studs and if not too radical will not attract that much attention. Given your specs, you could easily do it with 3 x 2x4 studs and it will still be about 9' at the sloped end.

• Moderators

Try tp slope the ceiling towards the speaker location wall about the same ratio as the wall suggestions from Mike. Just takes a couple of additional studs and if not too radical will not attract that much attention. Given your specs, you could easily do it with 3 x 2x4 studs and it will still be about 9' at the sloped end.

We did this on our new addition/family room/home theater and it worked out great!

If you hadn't already studded the walls.... I would have suggested splaying the walls, making the room narrower at the screen wall end. An inch a foot is a good rule of thumb, it will keep the amount of slap echo down from having parallel walls.

As far as drywall... I would suggest double 5/8" on the ceiling, and at least a single layer on the walls.

If you haven't addressed the air handling of the room yet, plan for a 'muffler' in the HVAC system, as well as a few 90 degree turns to attenuate noise transmission in the duct work.

Run conduit in the walls in order to be able to add wires later if needed.

I am planning on Fujitsu 26 SEER ductless "mini split" heat pump. Whisper quiet. So no issues there. I will likely keep the walls square though for future Khorn placement, besides it is already framed. But I'll definitely look into sloping the ceiling a foot. Sheetrock ceilings for sure then.

You can splay the walls after about 36-48". Leave the corners "square" and begin the splay at the 36" mark, decreasing the second stud width evenly as you go. With some careful sanding on the drywall, you can blend it in well enough that it won't be that noticeable. Mike Hurd is correct on the 90 degree turns in any HVAC. I took the single "code" required HVAC 8" and replaced it with 3 x 6" flexiducts, but there are two turns. The room gets alot of air, but is extremely quiet when the A/C is running. With three ducts, I can tailor how the air is "spread" through the room. The vents dump from the ceiling about 5" in from the near long wall and two of them are above the rack containing the equipment. Return venting is also important for circulation. Use a large, at least 18" x 18" return vent in the door to the room. They are easy to install.

ASU12RLS 410A INDOOR UNIT HP 25+ SEER

AOU12RLS 410A OUTDOOR UNIT HP 25+ SEER

http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/wallmounted9-12RLS.htm

I own & operate a mechanical contracting company so the HVAC is the easy part. These units are so quiet you cannot hear the compressor running outside much less the air in the room. No duct noise to worry about.

I also have 2 feet of space behind the long stage wall for ease of future wiring if required.

Thinking of using Cornscalas for centers and since my buddy is going on a 6-24month vacation that will last till the money runs out. He is leaving me to babysit his K Horns and class A Bedini power amps. I don't think I'll charge him too much as a sitter.

I am curious if I can use the Cornscalas to sit amps on top of or will it be too much vibration?

Or is 16x20 too small for KHorns???

• 2 weeks later...

Using ductless HVAC in the entire building. New construction.

These ductless units are so very quiet. I have customers asking when the the unit will turn on.

I usually have to tell them the unit has been running for 20 or 30 minutes.

The outdoor unit is that quiet as well. You can't hear the compressor, only a whisper of air movement.

They are great for open rooms, sunrooms, master BR additions. They qualify for tax credit too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...