Centre speaker placement

dachuckster

I just got a new Panasonic 65" Plasma as a replacement for my defective Sony KDS XBR1 60". I have my RC7 on a TV wall mount to keep it just above the top of the old Sony HDTV.

Now with a bigger HDTV (and a 3" taller stand), the Centre speaker will have to go up a few more inches, or should I move it down and into the cabinet.

I think I know the answer, but I am looking for some more "expert" advice.

I am trying to post a photo, but not having much luck....

65" plasma - now that's what I'm talking about! NICE!!

I would say it depends on exactly how low it would be when its in the cabinet. I think the general advice is to try and have it as close to the same height as the drivers in your front main speakers as you can, but if need be a higher placement is better than a lower placement.

65" plasma - now that's what I'm talking about! NICE!!

I would say it depends on exactly how low it would be when its in the cabinet. I think the general advice is to try and have it as close to the same height as the drivers in your front main speakers as you can, but if need be a higher placement is better than a lower placement.

I would have to agree with Wuzzer, that if given the choice, I would go above and angle down. I've played with many different centers and locations (currently single RC 7 above the TV angled down to hit ear level at the main listening positions, which is a heck of an angle in the present configuration) and I would go above. If you can play with both locations and a way to temporarily tune in the angle on both, it will be apparent to you which one sounds best.

I thought I had heard the tweeters should be within 18" of a horizontal line.

One reason I do not want to hang it on the wall is the issue it would create with the cables connecting to the back of the TV. Otherwise I think that would be a good idea to place the speaker on the TV stand. Right now the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the RC7 is partially blocked by the TV. My speaker wire is also about 3 feet too short to allow me to place it on the bottom shelf of the stand. That would also place the tweeter farther away from the tweeters on the RF7s.

I am very happy with the quality of this 65" plasma. Best Buy has them for a great price right now if anyone is intersted.

I thought I had heard the tweeters should be within 18" of a horizontal line.

One reason I do not want to hang it on the wall is the issue it would create with the cables connecting to the back of the TV. Otherwise I think that would be a good idea to place the speaker on the TV stand. Right now the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the RC7 is partially blocked by the TV. My speaker wire is also about 3 feet too short to allow me to place it on the bottom shelf of the stand. That would also place the tweeter farther away from the tweeters on the RF7s.

I am very happy with the quality of this 65" plasma. Best Buy has them for a great price right now if anyone is intersted.

I've heard that also, and had them within a couple of inches with some of the set ups. The way I've got it currently has the tweeters way off of that but angled precisly at the main listening position and it's fine.

Regarding the speaker cable, just make it the length you need to try it in various positions and once you've made a decision, adjust the length.

I forgot to mention my spoeaker wires are hidden behind walls/corners. It would be extremely difficlut to rewire. I could however plug the banana plug into a wall outlet and extend the wire that way (banana plug to wall connector to banana plug on wire and wire to banana plug into the speaker) (daisy chain?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

2nd image is now working. One problem that I see is that your center would benefit from being mounted higher up since part of the sound is being blocked by the rear of the TV. Also, angling down towards the listening area would enhance the sound as well.

I am having issues posting, but eventually they go. I do know I need to raise the centre speaker up a little bit more. I measured it and it needs to go up about 3.5 - 4 inches, so I may just make a small platform with some 2x4s, put a small lip on the front so the speaker doesnt slide down, and angle it a little bit more. It is already angled but it may not be noticeable.

Here are the rear surrounds. I have the woofers tilted a little bit towards the listening area, and I have the tweeters aiming at the couch which is the main listening area.

post-12406-13819540618814_thumb.jpg

post-12406-13819567823356_thumb.jpg

post-12406-13819569038566_thumb.jpg