doing some research maybe needing a different sub

The Dude

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duder, check this eD out in the DIY. Its what I would like to have http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_136&products_id=849

its the same as the A7s 650 which cost $1950 if they build it and if you build it the cost is $1050 and comes with all the wood and drivers and amp. It hits low and loud.

That 18" ported kit looks pretty tasty too.

36" tall for that ported 18. Now my wife has to make a decision either the big @$$ speaker or 300.00 more for something that looks nicer. Come on cpa call me tomorrow with good news. I could have this kit in a couple of weeks. (well after the return comes then shipping time)

i'm not feeling well this week duder, your welecome to come by and listen to my PB 13 when I'm feeling better.

IMO if you've never heard a large sub in a HT you will be excitied to get something similar depending on WAF. If i'm feeling better this weekend I'll give you a call. so get some music and some movies.

It'll be nice to see if someone else other than myself thinks my system sounds good.

later

i'm not feeling well this week duder, your welecome to come by and listen to my PB 13 when I'm feeling better.

IMO if you've never heard a large sub in a HT you will be excitied to get something similar depending on WAF. If i'm feeling better this weekend I'll give you a call. so get some music and some movies.

It'll be nice to see if someone else other than myself thinks my system sounds good.

later

Dude hope you get to feeling better, don't sweat nothing man. My SO has a test Saturday morning and my bro needs help moving then I have bowling , Then Sunday off to a gun show. So rest up. We have lots of weekends. duder

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe look at the Hsu line.

I have been abusing this VTF3 (first series..front firing) for many years now. As reliable as they come. TheEars recommended that one to me. ~Super powerful/clean too.~

The attack of this sub is scary at times. Anyway, this one has proven itself! The two klipsch subs I have so far held up fine too. I have an OLD Klipsch SW12II used for the surrounds. The little RSW10 is incredible for its size and it is next to me under the end table. It gives the couch a workout.

So many good ones out there......so little money...(for now anyway).[:P]

Take care

Mike

No I have not picked up a sub yet, I have been trying to save some dough for one. It looks like lots of Ideas for one under 1000.00 which is right up my alley. As of right now that one from elemental design is my top pick for 700.00 18" 500 watt kit. I will look into others especially if they might be on the bay. Thanks for the rest of the suggestions.

what do you guys think of a Velodyne f-1800r2 for 100.00, well actually I was in a situation were I had to act I figured for 100.00 I couldn't go wrong. When I got home and actually read some reviews it sounds like for the prices paid 2,000 used and 5,100 new that people weren't impressed. Their main issue was a low volume hum which was taken care of by a 2/3 prong adapt kit.

So I lunged this monster home and plugged/hooked it up, with a adapt kit. And I don't notice any problems so I figure I spent a wise 100.00. Now the problem I have is this has more switches than my ksw-12 does. I do understand a little about hpf and lpf but this gives me different crossover points. Now I figure I can spend a lot of time switching back a forth to find the best sound. But if someone could chime in and give me some hints on speeding up the process on tuning this sucker that would be much appreciated. For reference I am now using Cornwalls for fronts(only cause the wife is making me) and a Academy for a center.

Thanks

Nick

P.S. I was answering a cl ad for some Fortes and other goodies when I noticed the sub in the corner of the basement. The guy still has a energy 18 something or another that he wants 250.00 for if anyone's interested. I have never herd of this brand nor had the extra 250.00 at the time to purchase that monster.

The high pass filter lets everything above the set point pass through , and everything below that point gets cut off. You would use this if you hook the sub up with speaker wires in a 2 channel set up. Your receiver's bass management will perform this function so turn this control to its lowest (Hz) setting. Turn the low pass filter to the highest Hz setting so it will allow everything below that point through to the sub. If there is anyway to bypass the filters, choose that setting. Then you wouldn't have to worry about where they're set.

Should I turn the output level up on the sub or the receiver. Thanks for the help. Also it has all these switches, sub sonic filter switchable between 15-35hz , crossover switch for either out or in, any idea what these might be used for. I have turned the high pass to lowest which I think was 80hz, and the low pass the highest which I think was 120, and that seems to make a great difference.

These thing ways 105lbs, no wonder my back is sore. We were watching the newer Transformers and my daughter freaked out about the floor shaking.

Duder.

Try putting your output level at "0" in your receiver and adjust the sub from there. You don't want the signal distorted from the receiver by turning it up too far. In either case, you want to avoid maxing EITHER the setting on the sub or the receiver.

For HT, I'd turn the subsonic filter off. If there's not an off position, turn it to it's lowest setting. If you listen to 2 channel with a turntable, you might want to turn it back on.

Carl

I do only have the reciever up to like 2 and the subs not even turned half way up, and its pounding. So I am sure I can turn reciever down and the sub up. Carl you know so much about this stuffed were did you learn about it. I will give it a try, if I move my sub to a different location other than the phase is there anything else I need to switch.

thanks

nick

Rockon I am glad you are feeling better, there must be something going around in the metro area. My kids have been sick all week. I am busy this weekend. But next weekend I could use some help setting this puppy up. Since I have just made this purchase along with some others I will have to wait on a different sub, I think this should fit the bill just fine if I can get it dialed in right. Thanks

Nick