SAINTS WIN THE SUPER BOWL 31-17 !!!!!

JL Sargent

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into the game Manning had eleven interceptions on the season.....Brees had two....it was obvious....if Manning played his "usual" game the Saints would intercept.

Ummm ok.

Drew Brees 2009 Season stats:

TDS
INT
YDS
RTG

Peyton Manning 2009 Season stats:

TDS
INT
YDS
RTG

Drew had a few more than 2 interceptions this year.

• Moderators

Going into the game Manning had eleven interceptions on the season.....Brees had two....it was obvious....if Manning played his "usual" game the Saints would intercept.

Ummm ok.

Drew Brees 2009 Season stats:

TDS
INT
YDS
RTG

Peyton Manning 2009 Season stats:

TDS
INT
YDS
RTG

Drew had a few more than 2 interceptions this year.

I stand corrected.

Colts not offering any excuses for loss

Indy defensive coach says Saints 'played better'
Tuesday, February 09, 2010
By James Varney
Staff writer

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. -- Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Larry Coyer sat outside a beach resort Monday pensively smoking a pipe like the football sage he is.

"It's a simple game," he said. "The Saints simply played better than us."

Coyer's succinct take on Super Bowl XLIV, in which the Saints defeated the Colts 31-17 on Sunday night in Miami, clearly was one the rest of the Colts' organization shared. In fact, it seemed to ameliorate the team's anguish because the outcome wasn't one that required internal recriminations but rather simple congratulations to the victor.

52514a7768455943314b4141444a6a77?_RM_EMP

As work crews stripped Super Bowl contact paper from lobby pillars and landscaped islands around the pool and beach, the Colts and various family members and well-wishers huddled in quiet knots.

On a sun-soaked plaza out back, tight end Dallas Clark and some other Colts threw a small football with some delighted children whose happy yelps showed the defeat of the night before was not lingering with them.

The classy resort on Fort Lauderdale beach, far removed from the splashy neon of South Beach, was the same one the Colts occupied when they came to South Florida and defeated the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI. The familiar digs were one element in Indianapolis' plan to replicate their previous experience and, in the process, win a second NFL title in four years.

A few players moved about gingerly, and running back Joseph Addai, who played a standout game against New Orleans, said he was feeling the pain.

"Oh, no, man, I am not," he said, when asked if he felt 100 percent. "I wish I could still be in bed."

As he had Sunday night, Addai declined to consider whether the Colts had given him the ball enough against the Saints. Although he hurt New Orleans on several carries and was a big part of the team's first quarter 96-yard drive that tied a Super Bowl record for length, Addai finished with only 13 carries but ran for 77 yards (an average of 5.9 yards per attempt).

It was as if the Colts, built around their superb quarterback, Peyton Manning, and the passing game were in uncharted waters when presented with an opportunity to control the game on the ground.

"We'll have to watch the tape. We won't really know until then," Addai said.

Coyer said some factors, such as the 70 minutes in real time that elapsed between Manning completions due to the Saints owning the second quarter and a longer than usual halftime, were overblown. "They had the same halftime we did," Coyer said.

52514a7768455943314b4141444a6a77?_RM_EMP

Still, the Saints' onside kick recovery to begin the second half was a major blow because it allowed New Orleans quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees right back into the groove.

Although the Colts held the Saints to 51 yards on the ground and a 2.8-yards-per-carry average, they got almost no pressure on Brees in the second half. Relying on quick drops and the short passes the Colts left available by keeping the big play at bay, Brees killed Indianapolis with a thousand cuts.

"I thought in the second quarter, he really found his rhythm and then that onside kick really galvanized him," Coyer said. "He always gets rid of the ball so quickly, that's his M-O, and he just got it going on us."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-46/1265696606283210.xml&coll=1

AFC is populated by easy-to-beat teams. NFC rules the roost.

AFC has won the Superbowl 9 out of the last 13 times. You really sound like a person with alot of knowledge of the game.

That was then, this is NOw. The Saints will be back in the Superbowl next year and defeat whatever AFC team they play.

Brees, Payton outduel Manning

Clayton By John Clayton, ESPN.com

Naturally, Peyton Manning is taking criticism for not winning Super Bowl XLIV. That's unfair.

The Saints' victory can be credited to how Drew Brees and Sean Payton out-maneuvered the Colts and -- to a certain degree -- beat the Colts at their own game. At first, I thought the Saints' coach was crazy for going for the touchdown on fourth-and-goal at the Colts' 1-yard line with 1:55 left in the first half.

In retrospect, the strategy was brilliant. The league knows Manning takes control of games in the final two minutes of the first half, and, if the Colts receive the second-half kickoff as they were set to do on Sunday, they get a 10- to 14-point swing to their favor in those types of games. Heading into the Super Bowl, Manning and Brees led the league with 79 points scored in the final two minutes of their 18 games (including playoffs).

Payton's decision to roll the dice with the fourth-and-goal run was the right call because he sensed Manning would have to be conservative with the play calls near his goal line. The Colts ran the ball three times and gained only 9 yards. The punt gave Brees 35 seconds to move the ball 26 yards for a field goal that cut the Colts' lead to 10-6.

The brilliance of the onside kick to open the second half was it gave the Saints an extra possession and a quick touchdown drive that gave the Saints the 10-point swing Manning is accustomed to having.

Super Bowl XLIV was just an example of how this league continues to evolve more to passing than running and how great the games can be. Manning brought the Colts back with a touchdown drive to take a 17-13 lead, but Brees answered with two drives that produced 11 points total to put the Saints ahead for good. Manning's interception was no different than the one thrown by Brett Favre in the final minutes of the NFC Championship Game.

This wasn't a game that Manning lost. This was a game Payton and Brees won.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4902352

• Moderators

Colterphoto traveled down here to watch the Super Bowl game with us. His comment (after recovering from the shock of the loss by the Colts), "We (the Colts) were outplayed and outcoached by the Saints."

As the writer of the article above states, Payton is brilliant in his game play choices. Drew Brees executed the plays beautifully!

Interesting fact, Vince Lombardi's son is the Saints' quarterback coach! Talk about "full circle"!

Yeah, but John Clayton kinda looks like a mouse to me. That onside kick to start the second half......man, that was really brilliant. If that kick is recovered by the Colts I think they win the game. Like the old saying goes:

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a merry Christmas it'd be.[<:o)]

• Moderators

According to Sean Payton the Saints had been "practicing that onside kick for several weeks" and it looked "real good" in practice. I don't think Sean Payton would have tried it if he didn't really believe the Saints could recover it.

It did look questionable there for a few minutes, put when there's a pile of players it's whoever comes out with the ball! I am sure there was a real struggle going on down at the bottom!

Not Peyton bashing here; but, i thought that was a horrible call. The game was still close, they're was plenty of football left to play. Not a high percentage play, and in fact, they didn't recover it because it was executed well--that colt guy just didn't hold onto to it (if memory serves me right, was he slipping that I saw so many other players do?). If he holds onto that ball, that puts the saints in a very bad position. Plays like that--you're a genius if it works, and if it fails and they lost the game, he'd still be getting slammed for it. If I were him--I would have kicked it away like normal. Steve

• Moderators

Manning is known for taking command in the second half of a game (he spends his 1/2 time viewing pics/clips) by picking apart the defense. The play calling for that onside kick actually began with the last possession of the first half. It was planned strategy......Payton knew the Saints would be kicking off to the Colts so what better way to keep the ball away from Manning and get control of the game.

Payton, the coaching staff and several of the players have said in post game interviews they had been practicing that kick A LOT and felt the odds were in their favor to recover. IMO, it was super coaching on Sean Payton's part.