In a quandry upgrade to RF7 mains or not?

1gt

I have the RF3II five speaker package with a Paradigm PDR12 sub. Klipsh is offering a limited run of the RF7's; I did not have the cash for the RF7's when I purchased the RF3II.

Questions: what will I gain upgrading? I plan to keep the RF3's and integrate. Your opinion counts. Thanks for your time.

I plan to keep the RF3's and integrate.

I've had the RF-3II speaker package for 8 years, and will be an RF-7 owner tomorrow (used). The RF-3IIs are great but the upgrade bug is on.

I hadn't thought of integrating the 3's with the 7's. I think the 7's may overpower because of their higher efficiency over the 3's. The decibel adjust on your AVR receiver can compensate for some of this. If you find the 7's do not integrate well, sell your RF-3II package to fund an RF-7 package. You'd have to wait for some used ones to come around.

I listen to alot of stereo, 2496 album rips. The RF3;s will become part of the surround system. Using panny RP91 for my dvda and cd player, use a Denon AVR 1802 receiver for ampliification/ surround sound, Man Cave - room in basement 40' long 24' wide....Mits 65" WS 65611 all purchased in Dec 02. Of course 8' pool table, sectional etc Was a great Christmas. Had my eyes on the RF7's but could not pull it off at the time. Special run of the RF7's got me drooling.

IMHO, the 7's are great speakers and they will integrate with the 5's just fine. I have both sets and have run them that way for HT at times. I personally would look at the used market and save yourself a chunk of money, so you can buy more stuff.[:D] Keep in mind that it's the way I've purchased most of my gear, because I love to hunt for a bargain and have made some great purchases that afford me equipment that I wouldn't have if it was all new. If you're ready to lay out a couple thousand for your main speakers, you are well in the range of picking up some Khorns, Lascala's, Belle's, Cornwall's.............you have a big decision to make. Stay with Klipsch, and you really can't go wrong! Welcome to the forum!

Rather than ranking them, I would suggest you reach out to some members in your area that have them and take a listen for yourself. Only you can decide what appeals most to you. The great thing is that there is no wrong decision, just the one that is right for you. I have taken a turn into the heritage side of things, but will never sell my RF's, and listen to them daily as they are wonderful for what they are.

I am close to you in Louisville and have both the RF7's and RF3 II's setup in my HT. The 7's are the L/R and the 3's are currently DSX wides. If you want to come take a listen, I can easily switch the channels for an A/B comparison.

Just give me a heads up.

Thanks,

-Alex-

i didn't see it, but what are your room dimensions? i ask because Falcon20x had rf-3's and loved them. he went out and bought rf-83s because he liked the sound in the store. he forgot one important factor, his room is way too small. not bashing, he'll tell you himself, heck, i've been in it. if you have a good size room, i'd say get a pair of 7's, but if it's small (his is 12 x 10) stick with the 3's and do a crossover upgrade if you want to improve the sound. in fact falcon has a brand spank'n new pair of the original rf-7's he is trying to sell. here's the issue, he lives in TX and will only ship on a pallet. these are in such awesome shape he doesn't want to take a chance on damage. when i say awesome shape, i mean the type of shape speakers are when you just pulled them out of a box, because that is what he did. some how he found original rf-7's still in the box. the shipping cost will be at least $300. i don't know the selling price but most likely around $1200. so that gives you an idea of the cost of your bug.

hope this helps

good luck.

• 3 weeks later...