Buying an older high end receiver?

BluBitRates

I am looking at a pioneer elite model which is used on craigslist. I found a decent price (165) on it but the thing debuted in october of 2002 (people were buying them from non authorized dealers for 850). It is dts and thx certified. Has preouts of course and analog inputs. Is there any reason i should not be buying something like this rather than looking for something newer? I actually just sold my tv so i am going without a tv for a few months and am just using my RF-82s with my mp3 player and radio right now. Eventually would like to use it for HT. Any input would be great thanks guys.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i too have seen a few good prices on older receivers both on CL and Audiogon but i passed.

i am staying firm to getting a unit that can decode the HD formats as well as have HDMI. i believe they are a must for HT setup. if you want a stereo receiver, stick with the 2 channel. just my imo.

Heh, I've just picked up a high-end Pioneer THX AV receiver that is exactly the same as one of the Elite models, minus the tag. Has auto-speaker setup with a mic, LCD remote, 100watt x 7, weights in at 40lb+, and has a ton of Optical and Coax digital inputs. Just no HDMI.

Right now it's sitting in the garage intill i figure out where to place my RF-62s in the office.

I think the older receivers by are totally worth it. I've just missed a Denon THX Ultra receiver that sold originally at $2,000 , 120watt x 7, and was on CL for $100.

Are they still manufacturing blu-ray players with analog outputs? I really want to wait until near next winter to get another tv and will get my blu ray player then. Are these 100w going to drive my rf82s in stereo good enough? I use a mp3 player (slacker radio) to output music through the receiver, does this provide good quality decent bitrate music? Just had to ask my home theater buddies

i am not aware of any entry level bluray players wiwth 7.1 analog out. unless you want to spend $400-$500 upward for a midlevel (high end) unit.

but if you're spending that amount, might as well as investing it into a newer receiver. and why bothers with 7 cables instead of 1?

I have seen blu-ray players locally in the $100-$150 range with analog 7.1. I really do not need gaming capabilities so i am okay not having a ps3. I would think this pioneer would be comparable to a tx-sr707 in sound and power quality when i get a blu-ray player. The thing weighs over 50 pounds too which i like... Hm anyways just confirmed to meet the guy tomorrow. Maybe i will post some pics of the new receiver then.

Okay yours is a year newer than mine but seems extremely similiar except ive got the Elite logo and am paying $15 more... sounds about right lol. I would be interested to know how the sound compares with your 1910. Yeah i have found that i should be able to pick up a blu-ray player with analog outputs that completely handle all HD audio codecs for under $180 maybe even new. Look forward to getting this setup. Also am getting my bros 32'' vizio when i visit him on spring break. Should hold me over until i find that 55''/58''/60'' or hopefully 65''

I sold my newer HDMI reciever awhile back and purchased some older gear without HDMI and I have regretted it.

If you can find a good deal on some older high end gear I think you'll be happier in the long run with the sound quality. There are others one here including myself that the extra sound quality is worth having some extra cables running around.

There are also plenty capable blu ray player with analog out that can probably be had for cheap on the used market so keep your eyes peeled for the sony S550, Panasonic BD 50 ( I believe) and the Pioneer BDP f (don't know the numbers) i've used them all and are good performers on all levels.

The HDMI is nice for hooking up and digital bass managment but I think there's alot people are missing out on with the sound of analog, and with the constant change of HDMI standards still it might be worth while finding older capable gear until some more specifications for HDMI become available.

i believe you mean that you have not regretted selling your hdmi receiver rockon4klipsch? I am now confident on getting the receiver and am hoping the 100w satisfies me (the receiver weighs 50lbs so i am hoping it is a strong 100w). I am using a 1992 sony gx69es which is 100wpc right now. Works awesome but i would like to move to something with a subwoofer out. Really just been enjoying listening to music lately so i dont know what my home theater setup will be in the future. I will put up some pics tomorrow.

Well i am very very happy with my purchase. Not a scratch on the receiver, it is in perfect condition. Took a little bit to get it setup (have to set the speakers to small to get the subs to work). Sounds good but looks better. Came with all the original stuff, its like i just brought it home from the factory!!

post-42346-1381955419715_thumb.jpg

post-42346-13819569656574_thumb.jpg

Omg so after listening for about 15 minutes i am all of a sudden stunned by the new sound coming out of my speakers. I was seriously considering in the future switching over to a different speaker to get away from klipsch horn technology. I can say now that my speakers are no longer harsh. The sound is so good through the pioneer!!! Leaps and bounds better than what i had going before. I listen to music from a mp3 player, are there better sources out there for music or is a mp3 that is a good rip good? Yes i didnt even wipe the receiver down for that pic, it is perfect!! i am so happy right now. Also the remote is really friggin cool with all the buttons orange backlit and a small lcd screen at the top, it is a little confusing though Lots of buttons.